Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Nutrition and Food Supplements

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Nutrition and Food Supplements Reply with quote

I am recommending a highly informative site on nutrition and food supplements that I have just come across.

http://www.youngagain.com/index.html

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no lack of supplements offered by that site. Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that! They had every supplement I've ever heard of and at least a couple hundred more Exclamation Obviously their selection kicks butt, have you ordered anything from them? How are their prices and customer service?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered the Arthritis Arsenal and Glucosamine. I liked the formulation. There are cheaper Glucosamine supplements out there but youngagain.com offers free shipping on orders over $100. Plus 2 day priority mail. I should get my first order Fri or Sat. We'll see.

I am especially taken by all the info packed into this site. I've never seen all these test kits; everything from testosterone levels to cholesterol levels.

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul, where you been lately? I thought you would have chimed in on some of our other threads. I tried to reply to an e-mail you sent but I got a reply back that your address wasn't active...or something like that.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts faithfully every day. The trivia posts have been amazing. I just don't have the stats knowledge to do that at this point. In many of the other posts my comments would have just mirrored what someone else had already said. I guess I have been pretty quiet over the past two weeks.

Training has been progressing, but slowly. I have had a few runs over a mile at a stretch, with 5.4 km being the longest training distance for one workout, broken into segments. I had a 1000m interval in 4:14, but since that is the mile pace for the guy who ran the WR 100 miles...

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4:14 for 1000 meter intervals, not bad at all, my top group of women run thier intervals in the 3:55-4:05 range and their better than most of the male roud racers out there so it sounds like your doing pretty good, keep on plugging away and you'll get back to 100% and then some before you know it.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did 4 x 1000 that day with a 2 min walk between. All of them were over 5 min except for the 3rd one which I "blasted" in 4:14. Rolling Eyes Surprised
But 3:55 for several 1000's is 6:30 mile pace which is really moving in my opinion!! Good group of athletes.
I am trying to put in 2 days of running with a rest day following. I think the breakout point will be when I can handle 4K without stopping.

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are making good progress. Hang in there and you will be racing soon. Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, good to hear you've still been watching over us during your self-enforced silence. Smile

Quote:
All of them were over 5 min except for the 3rd one which I "blasted" in 4:14.

Whoa, that's quite the cut down!

You're definitely running better than me right now...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good site!..
has anyone here tried rehydration via glycerol and water?
here is a page you might like to read.. Very Happy

http://www.jbst.com/factsheets/glycerol.html

i went to the site for indoor cycling on a trainer, but there are a lot of good articles ..
p.s. i like the guys name.. lol Joe Beer.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried (or heard of) such a method, but I have a hard time accepting the merits of an approach that tries to make something like hydration so cut and dry. Hydration is basically a sufficient or insufficient, trial and error sort of thing. You can drink the exact same amount of water two different days and feel dehydrated one day and like a fire hydrant the next... Some days water goes straight through you, other days you can instantly feel it. The same could be said for food -- follow the generally acceptable guidelines and figure out what and when works best for you. Following someone else's strict rules is pointless.

Off to rinse my hands with 9.6 oz of water...

Dan

Last edited by Dan on Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellen, I beleive you just got your official welcome to run-down, experiencing a little of Dan's wit.

I actually have heard of using glycerol and water for rehydration, however never with much more scientificly used than normal water. In other words drink lots and when you have to go every 45 minutes or so you're good.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a fairly long article about whey protein I got from nutros.com by Will Brink. http://www.nutros.com/Nutros/home/news/newsArticle.jsp?typeid=2&nid=109

Will Brink has his own site at brinkzone.com for those of you interested. I find some of the latest research on whey to be fascinating.

I also have another online supplement place to try: [url]VitaminShoppe.com/vip013[/url] They are having what looks like a pretty big sale through March 31 with free shipping over $50. Everything looks to be 40% off or more, so here's a chance to try some stuff you didn't want to fork over retail for. The VIP013 is the discount code.

Paul

Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: