Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
I HATE US TRACK COVERAGE!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer not to comment too directly on other web sites, as it could be seen as competitive in nature. I know the Johnson's have put a lot of work into letsrun.com and pack quite a bit of info in there, but I've never been able to get past the general disarray of the site to get much of a feel for what it offers.

That actually brings up something I was just thinking about this afternoon... Since the birth of Run-Down, I've felt the top running sites were (various criteria -- ease of use, informative, enjoyable, etc.):

1) Runner's World online
2) Kick!
3) Cool Running

with the likes of Run-Down, T&F News, Run the World, Nando Sportserver, and a very small handful of others duking it out for the next few spots. With Kick! having merged into Cool Running recently, that leaves a bit of a void. How would you all rank the top 10 or so running sites?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a few days and a few martinis and I will report back with the Ward Report on running sites.

ANN TRASON...nothing in particular...just hadn't mentioned her in few days.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oztrack, Steve Bennett's site is interesting but you can get lost in a lot of places. All time favorite (excluding this one, of course) 10ktruth. Those guys are unbelieveable. As Kinky Friedman would say, those guys are out there where even the buses don't roam! Laughing Marius Bakken's site is interesting but cluttered. Kevin Beck's site is OK. IAAF site good for results. Maybe Weldon and Robert patterned their site after the sophomoric portions of "Once a Runner"!! Very Happy Slowtwitch was interesting, but once I digested their stuff, I haven't been back much.
10ktruth is the site I had originally gone to, that linked me here. I think I mentioned that several weeks ago. After reading the Training and Running Tips,I figured this was the place for me. 200 posts later... Surprised !! nothing's changed. I would add that I can't imagine leaving my email address on sites like letsrun. I don't know what would end up in my mailbox!!
Not to beat the drums here, but how many other sites have had their participants talk about getting together for a Masters Track event??

Paul

Last edited by Paul on Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by far the best overall site that I've come across.

I also like Dyestat, they have very good sections on the nations elite high school track times, and also their college choices lists are pretty good. There messageboards are always jumping although this usually leads to people that don't know anything making half the posts. Although there are a few regulars that know their stuff. I've visited coolrunnings but it was a while back and I don't remeber being really impressed. Although the more your on a site the better you learn to make use of it.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on Dyestat, which is a site I knew nothing about until it was mentioned here a couple of weeks ago. Track and Field News is OK, I've been a subscriber since 1966!! You can get some good book ideas there, also.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
Track and Field News is OK, I've been a subscriber since 1966!! You can get some good book ideas there, also.

I love there e-store. They have some stuff that you can't even find on Amazon.com. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to wade through 7694 books that all have the word "run" in the title to find what you're looking for. I spend about 30 minutes every week "window shopping" for my next book purchase there. And by the way if anyone is looking for a great value, they have "Run With the Best" 1st edition in their Specials Overstocks, out-of-print editions, etc. section for $5. A pretty good book, (it makes my top 10 training manual list) and for the price you can't beat it.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!! That's where I got a lot of my books. Of course, they have their own in house publishing, TAFNEWS Press. Plus a flat 1.95 S&H. I usually browsed every Sunday to see what their Special of the Week was. Cool

Mad Dog Mike's site is interesting, I assume he's going to add more to it. No forum, but you can sign up for a newsletter. I can't tell if he's more interested in one-on-one interaction. A person who is just starting out could skip the beginner runner's handbooks and Jogger's Digest, browse through Mike's articles, and have 95% of it covered. Of course, then they would need to check in here, too!! Laughing Laughing

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5 is tough to beat for any book, let alone a good one!

Nice input, guys. I meant to add Dyestat and possibly The Running Network to my list. The latter not really being any one site but an umbrella collecting several sites useful for different purposes.

trackandfieldnews.com pretty much sucked until their redesign a year or two ago, so it's a bit misleading to say it was on my top list when I started Run-Down in January of '99...

I hadn't considered Oztrack, but it does contain a lot of useful and unique information. My main problem with it is that it feels like I'm watching a late night infomercial with advertising slogans and fast talking sales pitches around every corner...

The IAAF site is indespensable for what it offers, good call.

I wouldn't have thought to add 10ktruth to the list, but I think the last time I visited it was shortly after it was started up, so it's probably changed quite a bit since then.

Cool Runnings is one of the more difficult sites to use, at least up until recently. As a calendar and results type site, plus a spattering of training resources, it covers a lot of ground.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG: One thing that was not lost on me in the 5/10K training post at letsrun is the guy who said once he upped his long run to 15-17 miles, his 5K time dropped a full minute in 6 months (low 17's). Smile
Paul
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... GEt busy and you miss alot around here ... Razz ...

Yes Dan it was Lewis Johnson I couldn't remember earlier ... And I'm not particularly fond of any of the folks that have been mentioned .. Its real hard to be a good track and field commentator ... Must have knowledge and personality ... Not an easy combination ...

Web Sites ... I would need some time to really think, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is http://prep.caltrack.com ... Its predominately a high school site for California High School track ... But they do an awesome job at it AND they include California related to International items ... Well done site ...

Of course I love this site ... Wink ... Tilastojapa is great for seasonal lists and such ... Algonet is great of all time stuff .. And the Athletics Site (Greece) is really good for overall seasonal information in an uptodate way ...

I'm not a fan of Track and Field News' site even though I have evey issue since 1974 ... As the proclaimed Bible of the Sport their site has very little information on an ongoing basis (and their magazine is usually at least a month behind by the time it comes out) ...

Just one man's opinion though ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually mentioned Caltrack indirectly... It's probably the most notable of The Running Network sites. Wink

Some of the international statistics sites had also crossed my mind. Sadly, the one I consider to have been the best of the lot -- the Athletics Home Page -- was recently discontinued and has left quite a void there. I have a lot of respect for the amount of work that would go into such an endeavor...

I think T&FN's site would do well to be a bit less glossy, as it detracts from how much good information is contained within. First impression is that you're about to view any ol' Flash please-waste-more-of-my-time-with-your-cartoon site...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done the martini research yet but since this topic is moving so fast let me through in a few suggestions from the ultramarathon world.

www.run100s.com This one is kind of barebones in the setup but it does have a ton of info and lots of photos from all the major races.

www.ultramarathonworld.com Well done with lots of results and articles.

www.ultrarunning.com Like Track & Field News, the website does not measure up to the magazine, which is one of the best running magazines in existence. Of course, it only covers a small niche in the running world but it covers that niche better than anyone else covers their respective niche. (Lots of niches in that sentence.) Smile

I also like the Running Network because it gives access to lots of local races all over the country.

OK, more research to do then I'll be back.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Runners World sight is worth checking from time to time. The Running Times likewise.

For those of you with voyeristic urges try www.fast-women.com which is part of the NYRRC site. Some great pictures of elite women.

The website for the Dolphin South End club in San Francisco is worth visiting just to read the tributes to Walt Stack. You can get to it from this sight under the California running clubs.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Micah .. How is it that YOU know the site where the women are ???? Rolling Eyes
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingering effects of a misspent youth? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: