FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
5k HS record for Rupp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: 5k HS record for Rupp Reply with quote

From the t-and-f list:

Quote:
Galen Rupp just smashed the high school record in the 5000 meter run in Belgium tonight, running a 13:37.91, placing him 11th overall in the race. More information is posted on the high school national board at dyestat.com.

That's fast. Surprised

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what he settles on as his main event post-HS, since he also runs an extremely fast mile, and I believe has the 3000 m HS record as well.

And isn't Rupp coached by Alberto Salazar at Central Catholic in Portland?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Last I heard, he's forgoing college athletics and staying in the Portland area to continue working with Salazar.

Seeing as how 3k isn't an option after HS, I would assume 5k will become his focus.

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or possibly the 3000 m steelechase Very Happy If he does stick with Salazar for several more years, I'd bet anything he becomes a 5k/10k/XC guy.

Reason I say that is after seeing how he moved Dan Browne from a sub-4:00 miler up to the marathon, I'm guessing Salazar is of the school that sprint speed can't be improved much, and therefore runners should always move up in competitive distance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like a steepler to me...

I don't think Browne was necessarily moved up. He's been largely a 10k/5k guy since college, mixing in the occasional 1500 and only recently extending beyond the typical road race distances.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I reading this right? Rupp is turning pro out of high school?
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, not turning pro. Is attending Portland St Univ and continuing to train under Salazar. My understanding is, no money or support. He wants to keep his options open. However, McGrath has left the Univ of Ore program to train here in town, and ran 1:47.62 at the same meet. Dan Browne ran 13:16.02 also.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that Salazar was coaching in Oregon ... Could become the New/Old hotbed for US distance running ... Salazar will have this kid in the 5/10 ... And if he has his trainign geared anything like his own, then I see this kid as a sub 13, sub 27 and perhaps AR holder in both, since this kid seems to have great potential ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My understanding is, no money or support.

Considering their current training evironment, that's an extremely fine line... How many HS'ers do you know that live in a million dollar, Nike-funded altitude house???

Quote:
I didn't realize that Salazar was coaching in Oregon ...

He's been at Central Catholic for something like 4 (?) years now and had them as basically the best team in the country this past year.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, you're right. It slipped my mind that he is living in the altitude house. And it will be a fine line. He just won't have a contract. But what about training expenses, etc.?? I guess I don't have a problem with someone picking up those costs, after all, a school picks up those costs if you are representing them.

No doubt Salazar is on his way to becoming one of our nation's better coaches. Conway, check your Library to see if they carry Alberto Salazar's Guide to Road Racing. Best training book I've read. Chapter 5 on speed training, alone, is worth the price of the book.

Paul

Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

I don't think Browne was necessarily moved up. He's been largely a 10k/5k guy since college, mixing in the occasional 1500 and only recently extending beyond the typical road race distances.

Dan Browne's marathon debut was 2002, the year after starting with Salazar. Before Salazar he was competing at 15k and below.

Dan Browne's USA Titles:

1998 US 5k road, 10k road, 3k indoors, 10k outdoors, 4k cross country
2000 US 15k road
2001 US 1/2 marathon road, US 20k road
2002 US 20k road, US marathon road
2003 US 25k road 2004 US 10 mile road, US 25k road
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that stands about those stats is the weak fields he won against in '98. Otherwise, they're pretty steady across the years and not significantly different after switching to Salazar. It's a pretty natural progression for distance runners to steadily increase the distances.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, Dan: Do you think Salazar might have just simply seen a natural marathoner in Browne?? After all, he (Salazar) does coach others in shorter races.
By the way, about a month ago, there was a special race at Lincoln High's new track at 9PM, set up by Nike. There were several top HS people from around the country, including Kiptoo from New Mexico, who Hammer had mentioned during Cross Country. Rupp edged him at Footlocker, but Kiptoo was just getting over injuries. There was just one race, a mile run, to try to get a couple of guys under 4:00. No one broke that barrier, and Rupp ended up 3rd at 4:03 something. I was there. My immediate opinion was that Rupp has the stride characteristics of a distance runner (5K, 10K) and not a middle distance runner. He has the turnover, but not the power that someone like Webb (or Ryun) has. Kiptoo passed Rupp in the last 50m or so and beat him by half a sec. Kiptoo was 2nd in that race. McGrath was also in the race and ran 4:06, his fastest since last year.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think Salazar might have just simply seen a natural marathoner in Browne??

Quite likely. Seems as good a distance as any for him.

Quote:
My immediate opinion was that Rupp has the stride characteristics of a distance runner (5K, 10K) and not a middle distance runner.

That's been my impression, too.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: