Training Talk
Running Cadence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly the quote I was talking about. Last summer when I was unijured I tried to hit the 180 and never could. The best I could manage was about 170. I always get faster when I try it. I've even tried to do it and stay slow but it doesn't seem to work and feels very unnatural. And that goes against what I have always believed, which is that you should run the way that feels most natural.

But I could be wrong about that.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always looked at anything to do with running form like this:

The most efficient thing to do, is what is natural, not what is "right". But it's even better if what is natural, and what is "right" are the same. That's why some people concentrate on their form or cadence while training, but just relax and do what's natural when racing, with the idea that you'll be able to change what's natural while training. I know I've done that, though I havn't measured my cadence for a while.

And Dan, you might be right about increasing cadence always making you faster, he does say 180 strides or more.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that. One of the toughest things as a coach is knowing when to tamper and when to leave well alone. Some people need help, others just have biomechanical peculiarities that make them what they are.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. What is "right" will be different for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graeme wrote:
Quote:
a rate that doesn't vary much even when not running fast

This part implies that the same runner will have the same cadence at different speeds which leads me to believe he meant that stride length (and not cadence) increases as the runner picks up speed (remember that this is an average elite runner). What he doesn't mention is whether these newer runners, with a lower cadence have a static number of strides per minute, or if it changes when the go faster or slower.

Thanks, Graeme, for sharing your research and knowledge, and also, Dan, for pursuing the questions.

If the form of a 5-foot tall runner optimizes at 180 spm, and also a 6.25 footer like myself, then the taller runner should have very different running mechanics. It makes more sense that the optimum for the bigger runner differs.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Mr. Guest, do we get to know your name and background? Smile You seem to have a strong interest in stuff folks around here like to chat about...

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If person A is 5 feet tall, and person B is 6 feet tall and they both had the same stride length relative to their height (person B would have a longer stride) and 180 spm person B would be faster. But, since person B is taller and therefore heavier (probably) it would take more work to move his body, and so with equal effort his stride length would be short relative to his height, but the cadence would stay the same, meaning that they would go at the same speed with the same effort assuming that all their attributes, besides height were the same. After all, work is force x distance, so I guess that's nothing new.

I wonder if anyone's done research on the differences height has on running performance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from observing, I would say there's an extremely high correlation between height and stride length/turnover (stride and turnover are at least somewhat inversely proportional). Tall runners rarely have anywhere near the turnover of short runners, level of ability being comparable, of course.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say turnover, do you mean cadence (strides per minute)?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I take them to mean the same thing. "Cadence" sounds more like a rhythmic measurement to me then a technical means of describing running mechanics, so I prefer "turnover." Turnover being the rate at which you progress through each stride, i.e. cycling through ground contact, push off, airborne phase, and back to contact ... turning it over.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually say turnover too, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Wink
madscout
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing research on myself using a Garmin Forerunner (to measure distance and time) and a pedometer to count steps. I have an excel spreadsheet set up (yeah I'm nerd) to automatically calculate a number of different stats (pace, stride rate, stride length, etc) and to graph a number of items. I've found that my stride rate is very consistent at around 160/min regardless of what speed I'm running. This graph shows that my running speed is directly correlated to my stride length (and independent of stride rate):

http://www.efficacymusic.com/random/stride.jpg

After doing some research I'm trying to gradually increase my stride rate up to 180/min. My first try was today and I achieved 167/min and it definitely fealt a lot different.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not nerdy, that's actually pretty cool. Or maybe I'm just a nerd too Very Happy And your data certainly came out quite even. Definitely reinforces the constant cadence theory.

I've been concentrating on turnover a lot over the past few months, but I haven't actually counted my spm recently. I'll do it tomorrow and see what I get. Last time I think I was around 165.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madscout, It appears from your graph that you are running faster by lengthening your stride instead of increasing turnover. When you try to increase turnover does it feel uncomfortable? Unfortunately I am recovering from injury so I don't want to experiment too much right now but the last time I tried the increased turnover rate I was running faster at the same stride length.

BTW, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you will have some interesting input.

Micah
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Stride Rate Reply with quote

Actually I think this is very interesting as well... Wasn't it Daniels that said the elites shoul dhave a stride rate of approximately 180? I have never checked this myself and am curious about it now I think I need to check this out as well at some point...too bad m y workout yesterday probably would have been a good way to check this (10 x 800M)

the thing that is interesting to me is in a workout a few weeks ago where I took some guy at the end of the workout in a sprint he said to me that as I was gaining I sounded exactly the same (stride rate wise as I was gaining on him)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: