Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Weight loss...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
First thanks for your previous help when I wrote with a training question...it seems to have worked. My question here is that I'm having trouble losing the last 10-15 pounds I would love to lose. I thought with all my running I would just drop weight like crazy, but not so. As I increase my training my appetite also goes up. I eat low fat and try to cut out junk and 80% of the time I am successful. I'm 5'2 and weigh 135 pounds. I run 25-30 miles per week plus several weight sessions. My husband says that working with weights will prevent me from losing more weight due to muscle build up but I continuously see runners at races who are my height who are very thin. I would love to get back down to 120-125 pounds. What am I doing wrong?? I am a vegetarian in case that helps at all. My weakness is waking up hungry in the middle of the night (especially after a race or long run) which I satisfy with a bowl of cereal (Chex or Cheerios) or low fat graham crackers. Thanks for your help.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Charmaine']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 1999 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charmaine,

Glad to hear things have gone well. Weight loss, like running improvements, tends to come in bursts separated by plateaus. More often than not, maintaining or slightly increasing the level of intensity will break through that, but patience is necessary.

I think your last comment might have touched on the problem -- late night snacks. I've always been a believer in the rule of going to bed fully digested, as the digestive system basically shuts down over night. I eat large dinners, and I tend to snack throughout the day to carry through.

I wouldn't think weight lifting is your problem, especially since you're vegetarian. If anything, I'd stick with the weights to ensure that you don't unknowingly lose your muscle mass. If you go with high reps and low weight, that will counter any tendency to bulk up.

Hope that helps,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just surfing thru and saw this post. I realize it is very old, but I felt it was necessary to make a comment about the advice of lifting lighter weights with more reps to avoid getting big. It is a big misconception that heavy weights will bulk (females) you up. A woman would have to strength train 6 days and week and even take supplements to actually get bigger from weight training. So lifting light weights with a lot reps is not going to be as effective as lifting a challenging weight that will build muscle.

In addition, women may gain bulk from weight training due to the muscle being hidden under a layer of fat. In more detail, when you build your muscles from weight training it increases in size by a small margin, however, if you have a layer of fat on top of this muscle, your fat is pushed out farther. This results in the bulky and "buffed" look. Until you have that fat off you will hardly see the tone that you are aiming for.

It is vital to have a cardio program going hand and hand with your weight training. If you are not burning that fat off all that weight training is simply a waste hidden beneath a layer of fat. I suggest at least 5 days of cardio 30 mins. per day.

So Ladies don't be afraid to pull your weight!!!! You would need a rigorous program and a lot of dedication to be the next China (wwf wrestler). The lighter the weight..the longer it takes for results. Don't injure yourself, simply challenge yourself. You should do 3 sets per exercise with reps of 12. When you reach the 12th rep you should be a bit fatigued experience a slight struggle with completing final few. Always remember to warm up the first set with a weight approx. 10 lighter than your max. The next 2 sets should be your max weight.

Finally, Kudos to Dan for all the GREAT advice he gives. I have used a lot of your tips and have increased my strength and mileage during my morning runs.

Elizabeth

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Elizabeth ']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by some of the distinctions you are making between men and women. Am I correct in understanding that your main point is that women are less likely to bulk up than men from weight work? One problem I have with the next assumption (that women therefore should not worry about bulking through high weight/low reps) is many, if not most, men similarly will not bulk up significantly without lifting with that as a primary goal (as opposed to strength and endurance) and/or taking supplements.

As far as the muscle tone and body fat item, I've read that women actually have an easier time gaining muscle tone than men. I'm not sure what the reason for that would be... My best guess would be percentage change colors the perception, given the higher starting percentage of body fat.

Also, regarding the appearance of bulk from pushing the fat out farther, I don't follow your reasoning there. Bulk is bulk -- regardless of whether the fat or the muscle is being pushed out visibly, something is expanding, and that something is likely to be muscle as a result of weight training. Is that not what you meant?

I disagree that the weight training and muscle gain is a waste if it is not accompanied by fat loss. Of course, both in conjunction would be optimal, but one is certainly better than neither. For example, when I was in a phase of heavy strength and speed training, I put on 10 pounds in a very short period of time, yet my leg strength tripled and I felt lighter and faster than ever. In my case, the strength gain was far more significant than the weight gain.

On the other hand, I fully agree that lifting needs to be done with ample intensity, just like other training elements. However, when it comes to weights, I believe high reps can also be a form of intensity, and that might well be more beneficial for endurance athletes.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about genetics. Some people,even women, have the tendency to put on muscle rather easily. I'm one of those women who gains muscle rather easily, so I have to stay with the light weight high rep stuff so I won't bulk up too much for the 10k. The odd thing about it is that I'm also small framed.
Chatwin
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should follow to lose your extra weight are that you should do cardio exercises such as jogging, swimming, running, and cycling at morning time for at least 30 minutes.
In diet you should take more raw fruits and vegetables and veggies, also take vegetables soups, green tea and citrus fruits and vegetables juices for the fat loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: