Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
I'M LOSING WEIGHT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !! Ya'll are impressive ... I'm down to about 210 from 230 but have stalled ... Of course I haven't done any mileage and am not on a specific diet ... I hate those things .... Am 6' and always felt my optimum weight was around 185ish ... Haven't been under 200 since my first child was born 7 years ago ... Guess I better get with the program ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it's normally the mom that gains weight from having children? Confused

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it tough Conway. With children at home you have to prepare good meals for them, and with all that food on the table the will power not to overeat gets hard.

Been there...done that...got fat!!! Surprised
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spend as much time as possible with my kids .. Which means I don't go to the gym ... Quit spending hours working out ... Shifted that time to them ... Figured I'd get my time back as they got older ... Course had one more show up last year ... Kinda set the program back about 5 years ...

And yeah Micah I fix a lot of good food ... That's why I'm down to just dinner ... That's how I've lost weight ... Course now I gotta suplement with some exercize to get to the next level ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway, your kids are like my injuries...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... Never met an injury that I liked ... LOL ... Or do you mean keep popping up ??? Only have 3 .. First two together so thought I has it all worked out ... This was to be the year to get back seriously working out since both are now in school ... Course the little one has kinda put a kibosh on that ... But have decided to go to a late night regime ... I don't sleep a bunch anyway ... WEather is just about right for ight bike rides so I think I'll start there ... Used to always supplement my trining with bike riding ... Will move from there to the track - short sprint work working my up in distance ... I know that is probably against how most of you train but that is actually how we did it in college ... Interesting but it works .... But that is a speed issue and no one here likes speed ... LOL
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or do you mean keep popping up ???

Yeah, that and the setbacks in training caused each time...

When I was developing my sprint training philosophy at the end of my college days, I was using hill sprints on the bike to supplement speed work and found it to be pretty effective. Seemed to work a lot better than typical running for morning workouts.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved riding the bike ... great for leg strength as well as aerobic endurance ... Before the girls were born I was riding about 30 miles a day, plus weight work and some sprint work on the track ...

I've found hill work of all kinds (bike and running, up AND down) to be a very beneficial form of training ... But now sort of changing this thread ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads were born to be changed... One of the biggest advantages I found to supplementing the training with bike work was the lack of impact. Also, by doing standing hill sprints (recommended to me originally by an age group WR holder), my major criticism of cycling was eliminated -- being in a seated position putting undue pressure on the knees and not working them through a full range of motion.

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
Well, I spend as much time as possible with my kids .. Which means I don't go to the gym ... Quit spending hours working out ... Shifted that time to them ... Figured I'd get my time back as they got older ... Course had one more show up last year ... Kinda set the program back about 5 years ...

And yeah Micah I fix a lot of good food ... That's why I'm down to just dinner ... That's how I've lost weight ... Course now I gotta suplement with some exercize to get to the next level ..

Conway my friend...I do understand! With two kids and two jobs, it gets kina tough. I get up at 5am and do my run, and then some light weight lifting. Every other night, after I get home...I do the brutal weight lifting. I also eat a lot of salad, chicken, and yogurt. I can't argue with success on the weight loss. Right now I am concentrating on getting ready for the Tyler race and working on my abbs (Oooo how the babes love a defined 6 pack) Very Happy This POV/groin pain thing is giving me a bit of trouble. I am trying stretching exercises to try and deal with it. Confused
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

194 1/2

It's slowly dropping but getting tougher.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah RAnger kids make it tough but it can be done .. I love salads too ... Just not as yummy in the winter ... Ahhh but now there are lots of good things that can go in a salad ...

Micah awesome ... If I were 194 I'd enter the nearest track meet !!!!!
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact there is a Masters meet in Savannah in April and I was cosidering the 5K. But then again I'm leary of reinjury if I push it so maybe I will and maybe I won't.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend against it, unless you have the self-control to keep from getting to competitive with yourself and others. The last thing you need is another setback this early in your comeback.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right of course. As much as I want to race I do need to hold off a few more months at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: