Training Talk
Bowerman (coachd) intervals vs. Standard Intervals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for my own personal thinking I like one distance one pace workouts. Although from time to time I will do segmented workouts. Like 200 repeats followed by a 3 mile tempo. I also do most of those segmented workouts during cross country season since it has more volume, and the athletes are usually in a less conditioned state than later on. That allows me to work multiple system on one day gradually building each system without over stressing one that isn't prepared for it while still maintaining over all work load. As the year goes along and the athletes progress then I will begin to do less segmented workouts because the athletes are ready to devote entire workouts to one system or pace.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, coachd. 60 sec 200m is essentially my max 10K pace at this time, so that would make for quite an 1100m segment (600 + 200 + 300).
What is the Marquis de Sade workout?? (I'm almost afraid to ask!)
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never fail to get the numbers wrong but I think it goes 800@ 5k- 90 secs rest, 400@ sub 3k- 60 secs rest, 800@ sub 5k nonstop into 400@ mile. Repeat 4 times.

That's off the top of my head I'm sure Hammer or coachd will correct my errors. I think I ran the greatest workout of my life doing this one as a sophmore, I bet I barfed 5 times. Twisted Evil
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew in the back of my mind I had seen that before. Owen Andersen's Peak Performance Online. Check this out.

Quote:
6. The Marquis de Sade Perhaps the best (and most demanding) of the workouts, this session raises your V02max and heightens your ability to handle surges during races. Jog easily for 15 minutes, and then run 800 metres at your best 10K pace. Jog for two minutes, then run 400 metres at 5K race speed. Jog for one minute, then run 400 metres at about two-mile race tempo (this will be about three seconds per 400 faster than 5K pace). Without resting, launch yourself into 800 metres at 5K pace. Jog for four minutes, then repeat this 800- recovery-400-recovery-400- no recovery-800 pattern. A 30-mile a week runner can complete two of these combos per workout; at 45 weekly miles, three combinations are possible.

http://www.siteworks.co.uk/pperf/extra4.htm
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one thing Hammer, coachd and I all have in common. A motto of ours is "I steal my best stuff" well probably more with Hammer and I than coachd. But we never rule out any source and will take advantage of a good bit of knowledge where ever we can.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about 3k/5k/10k type distances or 800/1500, also? With the longer track races, I'm in agreement with even pacing. But with 2-4 lappers, I think energy management dictates advantages over uneven pacing (faster opening and a kick) that simply cannot be recovered no matter how conservative and even the pace is otherwise.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's a good thing. Some of my best weightlifting programs are ideas I got from other people, quantified them, and they turned out better than the original. Many times just seeing something in a different light gives you an idea for a workout. There's some great stuff out there and only a fool would not make use of them.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking 1500* and up. In an 800 race I usually try to set it up so that the 400 splits are run at around what Vigil recommends of 94% of 400 pace for the first lap and 89% of 400 pace for the second.

*When I say 1500 I'm talking about runners who are training to go 1500/3000. These athletes are much better equipped to treat this race like a short "distance" race. In other words run even pace and try to push the last half. 800/1500 runners usually tend to take the race out harder and run less even races. The 1500 is really a race that is best run according to the athletes tendencies, if your a distance runner you run steady and try to use your endurace to break the speedsters late. If your a shorter distance runner the you try to use your speed to shake your compotition early and hope they don't catch you late.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG is right (as is Paul)...there' plenty of good stuff out there to "steal"...the Marquis de Sade workout has evolved in our program and been fine tuned to different needs over time and teams, I know Hammer has adapted it to his high school runners with slight variations--but it is one tough workout that breeds confidence in runners who can "hammer" it...now the really bad news (for DG, at least)---I originally saw this workout in a RW article around 1992 (something like, "The Ten Toughest Workouts You'll Ever Do") were they got it I don't recall. I liked it, wrote it down in my "book" and waited for the right opportunity to apply it. When I came back to college coaching, the tream I had couldn't have handled it...but later I had guys like DG, Hammer, Chuck, Lee, etc. who were talented as well as tough--it was the perfect workout for them and I brought it out of mothballs so to speak.

Speaking of Owen Anderson (the website Paul referenced)...I used to get Running Research News and one time I aked (insisted? demanded?..no, requested) that Hammer go through all my back issuses and read and classify all the different training articles...great learning experience, right Hammer?
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you talking about 3k/5k/10k type distances or 800/1500, also? With the longer track races, I'm in agreement with even pacing. But with 2-4 lappers, I think energy management dictates advantages over uneven pacing (faster opening and a kick)

With your opion on 800/1500 racing don't you believe that the uneven Bowerman type intervals would better serve athletes racing in the manner you suggest. Most of those workouts work on dealing with the pain of the middle segment of the race instead of keeping an even pace.

A person with an "even paced" philosophy should probably lean toward the standard even intervals. If a runner plans to get out hard, hang on in the middle and kick at the end should practice their race strategy. Race day should not be the 1st time a runner experiences that type of pain, discomfort or rythm.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, there's something to be said for that, but I believe overall consistency in intervals is more likely to lead toward speed development, which in turn leads to greater speed reserve and the ability to handle faster opening paces. Just my theory, though. Smile

Dan
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it really two different things---speed development and the physiology of the race ?

Getting faster (speed development) does achieve some carry-over to say 800/1500 racing: You get more efficient and thus potentially use less energy in maintaining a particular pace, the pace itself "feels" easier,etc. But being faster in and of itself does not neccessarily translate to racing faster.

The body needs to be able to carry that improved speed over the course of a race situation and that is where I prefer to use combination type workouts...to more closely model what the athlete is expected to do in the race. I might have a guy wo can churn out all the 26/200's I ask him to do in a workout--because he's fast...but can he tack that speed onto the end of an 800 after going 27-29-30...to run say 1:55-1:56...or at least maintain his efficiency and "slow down less" than anyone else--ala Dave Wottle.

Then we can get into the whole idea of speed athletes versus strength athletes and tailoring the training to individual needs. So there is a lot of room for discussion, disagreement and differences in traing ideas.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of Owen Anderson (the website Paul referenced)...I used to get Running Research News and one time I aked (insisted? demanded?..no, requested) that Hammer go through all my back issuses and read and classify all the different training articles...great learning experience, right Hammer?

Interesting enough, I gave my assistant the same type of assignment this year, using our seasonal plan. I usually color code it using MS WORD. I gave her a black and white copy and a couple of highlighters and asked her to make a key.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't it really two different things---speed development and the physiology of the race ?

Yes they are which is why I lobby for longer intervals. Athletes develop speed by running FASTER than there race pace. Athletes develop strength and speed endurance with race pace intervals and slower than race pace intervals.

Most if not all of my speed enhanceing interval secessions are done with standard intervals. (50/50s, repeat: 100s, 200s, 300s, 400s and hills) A lot of my race pace intervals are BOWERMAN type workouts (XC) (Marquis de Sade, "the Panther", 8-4-2-1000), so that runners can learn how to deal with speed changes when they are tired or after they have gone over hills; WHILE MAINTAINING A CERTAIN SPEED, NOT SLOWING DOWN COMPLETELY.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But being faster in and of itself does not neccessarily translate to racing faster.

Yes and no. Being faster will never make you slower overall (duh) -- unless the speed preparation somehow results in less endurance -- but the more important question is if improving speed will improve the performance at X distance as much or more than more pace-oriented work. That's where the argument is valid as to whether or not improving speed necessarily makes one faster in racing situations.

Quote:
Athletes develop strength and speed endurance with race pace intervals and slower than race pace intervals.

Or by a quantity of faster paced stuff, which is why I belive that is the best overall balance. It works on both areas at the same time, in effect eliminating weaknesses.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that there's no reason why pace change work cannot be incorporated into constant distance intervals. I did this frequently with in and out 400's, flying 150's, cone drills, etc. The fixed distance gives you a good means of dialing in the intensity, but it needn't be mutually exclusive from pace change.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: