Back to Regular Page

Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Looking to 04 and beyond ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Looking to 04 and beyond ... Reply with quote

Looking forward to 2004 and beyond, who is going to lead the way in the sprints ??? In the US ?? In the UK ?? Carribean ?? Asia ?? And is the power in sprinting going to change any time soon ??

Early to mid 90's for about 4 or 5 years the power base moved from the United States to Britain and then Canada ... Coming back of course to the US ... Where are we headed now ??

A few thoughts ...

US - Has youth with Capel, Gatlin, Patton, Williams .. All of whom are multiple threats at both 100 & 200 .. Next season will tell whether or not Greene and Montgomery will continue to be factors ..

UK - Campbell came through and showed he is still an international factor - at least come championship time .. Chambers and MLF both had regressive seasons ...

Carribean - Lots of young talent in Bolt, Brown, Burns, Collins .. Boldon in same position as Greene and Montgomery - next season will tell the tale ..

Asia - Asian sprinters beginning to show muscle .. Suetsugo the best .. Ran well at Worlds and did well in final despite getting injured during the race .. A couple of guys in the 10.0x range ..

Africa - Always has some surprises each season .. Nigeria acontinues to produce 100 sprinters like clockwork .. Buckland from Maritious (sp?) proved to be the real deal over 200 ... Fredericks still solid but aging ...

Any thoughts ?? Where do ya'll t hink things are headed ?? Will US be dominant in 04 OR will we see several countries garnering medals ?? Or just a couple ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the US and Carribbean being equally dominant over the next few years. The young crew of Carribbean talent on the rise is very impressive, but the US always has the polished depth to hold off most charges. The rest of the regions will probably be largely filler unless some new threats emerge.

Dan
MiamiD J30
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the US will stay in the lead for a while, with Greene improving a little more over the next 2 yrs. (he is like 28 yrs old), so he is not done yet. Montgomery might last a little longer, but I'm not to certain he will.

Great Britain, is gonna do good over the next decade or so, especially MLF, and Dwain Chambers will last around 5 more years.

I don't think Boldon will last very long, as least he won last at the top of the world.

But, I haven't seen any of the other countries, so I'm not sure about them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and if anyones interested in like 40 yard dashes, I've found the fastest recorded one, which was 4.1 seconds, by a cornerback on Arizona St., named Chris McKenzie. Anyone want proof, I have it.

Jason
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLF and Chambers have a lot to prove before they can once again be regarded as top competitors. I think '04 is the make it or break it year for both of them. MLF has yet to officially break 10.00, and Chambers' record is spotty outside London except for the one big breakthrough in Paris '02. Right now, neither is a serious threat.

Greene may not be old, but his body has betrayed him for 3 years now. Very few athletes can fully bounce back from that sort of prolonged injury period, regardless of level. To do so in the most explosive of events is asking a heck of a lot. Personally, I don't see it happening. He'll remain competitve as long as the times are moderate.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point Campbell has to be considered the top Brit in my opinion ... Based on his performance in big meets ... I think MLF will be fine .. He is young and should be able to bounce back ... But I do think he needs a new coach .. And I am surprised he has not sought out Christie ... Then again I am also surprised Chambers has not sought out Christie ... Although on Chambers part I am sure ego is a part of it ... Interestingly enough Campbell is coached by Christie and is the best of the lot when it comes to hard line competition ...

Mo I don't know any more ... He had several injuried the first few seasons of his career and bounced back ... Now back in the injury mode .. Difference is that he has gotten some mileage on his bod since then ... If I were a betting man I would say he prepares for one final run next year ... Try to get consecutive golds (never done before in the 100) and then get out ... Would be a great way to go ... He was sub 10 again last year with the second best time in the world by .01 ... So concieveably he is right there - as long as his body holds up ... And given how "equal" everyone was this year, it was a good year to be "down" for him ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: