FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
New TomTom Watch Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ross88guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: New TomTom Watch Review Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone is interested but I thought I would post this anyway.

I was invited to TomTom's launch of their new GPS watch, the TomTom Runner a few weeks ago and spend the evening training with a few GB athletes (ok so it was more a case of watching them train) as well as giving the watch a go.

I have been running with the TomTom Runner for about a week now and though I would post my thoughts in case anyone is looking into one. Full (and very boring) is on my blog but I though that I would post the main points here so save the reading: http://www.londontri.com/325/tomtom-runner-gps-watch-review

Pro's
1) The GPS sensor is one of the best that I have used. On all of my runs it managed to find a signal quicker than any of the Garmin watches I usually run with. The average time was about 15 seconds.

2) The watch is really easy to use. TomTom have built on their experiences with the Nike+ Sportwatch and have built the UI around the same "side to side" principles. What this means is that you can navigate to anywhere in the user menu in about 4 clicks.

3) The battery life is awesome at about 10 hours. Charging time is only one hour.

Cons
1) The UI is almost too simple. Sometimes I accidentally ended my workout when all I meant to do was pause whilst I tied my shoelaces! The buttons are also in a weird place as they are on the watch strap and not surrounding the watch face like the Forerunners or other GPS watches. I am sure I am just getting old and set in my ways though...

2) The online training portal is pretty basic and just consists of a place to store your data as well as looking at a map of your route and some totals. It is nothing compared to the Garmin Connect portal or any of the other big boys. TomTom are seven years behind the likes of Garmin though to it is going to take some time to catch up! In the mean time they make it really easy to upload your training data to RunKeeper and Map My Run.

This brings me to my last point. It is more expensive than the Nike+ sports watch and yet works in much the same way. I find it had to justify the high price tag when you compare it to the Nike+ as with the Nike+ you get access to one of the most engaging online training portals in the business. On the other hand the Nike+ was terrible at finding a GPS signal (despite it having a TomTom chip) and so the new TomTom Runner is a big improvement.

I am a bit curious though...are and of your guys running with the multi sport version of the TomTom? It is only $40 more expensive and get can be used for swimming and cycling, therefore seems like a much better value option to me. Is it worth the extra cash for the upgrade?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like the best watch would have been if TomTom and Nike continued to work together ... satellite location, buttons and UI, battery life, online software, etc.

Dan
DreamBanger
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good review. ill check it out later. I saw another good one at http://www.thehonestreviews.com/gadgets/tomtom-runner-gps-watch-review/ Tomtom must be really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: