Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
The improtance of diet

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating lots of fat is a good thing. It gives you mega energy to use when you go for long runs of over 10 miles.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Fatman']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that would almost make sense if fat were a primary source of energy... Try again.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2000 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you talking about fat may not hinder some peoples performance but may have a huge impact on others(like myself) but in the long run may be detrimental to your health
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2000 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you talking to and what are you agreeing/disagreeing with?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eating fat makes your muscles load with fat so when you run you have more endurance and energy.

Eat high fat diets.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Fat Bastard']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2000 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to give up on this one, are you? Smile I'm sure you're incredibly amused by it, but no one's going to be dumb enough to buy that line of reasoning (I hope).

Still waiting for a statement that makes a bit of sense...

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought eating more fat would help until I learned that it takes more oxygen to burn fat, so you will have to slow down when you eat lots of fat.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the oxygen demands of burning fat. Here are what I consider to be pertinent details:

- fat produces less than half the energy of carbos

- fat produces the same amount of energy as protein, but does not have the same benefits, i.e. building muscle

- fat makes you... fat!

- look at the diets of the elite distance runners -- the East Africans eat very little fat that I am aware of

- the zone diet, which pushes fat and protein, is the biggest scam of the decade in my opinion, and will shortly be recognized as just that

Here is further reading.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I read a Runner's World article that you use about 70 percent Carbos and 30 percent Fat when you run, and read something that when you run you train your body to burn fat, which actually saves Carbohydrates for later on, and that it takes more oxygen to burn fat.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. Did they say for what duration or distance that is applicable? My guess is ultramarathons, in order to burn any significant amount of fat.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, i am doing a research paper for my writing class on running and nutrition and the effects it has on times and perfomances in races. What main points could you stress and what tips can you give me? I am just starting it, and i would like an expert to help me get started. Thanks

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Danny Dobra']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are at an ultra competitive level of running, then I think nutrition tends to have more of a negative impact than a positive one. What I mean is that people usually have more to lose by eating poorly than they do to gain by eating well. Quite the twisted logic, eh? Wink

As such, my emphasis is more on avoiding the bad stuff than in eating any specific good stuff. Minimize the processed foods and things like dairy, which is problematic for most people, event those not allergic to it, and you are left with a fairly nutritious diet in most cases.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, is the chocolate soy milk just as healthful for a runner or anyone's health in particular than the vanilla, or plain soy milk? What are some other good soy alternatives for like pudding and cheese?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan Dobra']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the chocolate soy milk is any less healthy than the other "flavors," although it probably contains more sugar. I'm not aware of any unhealthy characteristics of cocoa.

There are several good rice and soy puddings, or you can easily make your own with the likes of blended tofu, banana, chocolate, and raspberry vinegar. Soy cheese is a lost cause, if you ask me. Sad The only stuff I've found that does not contain cassein (a milk protein; ironic that it is in most "dairy free" oriented soy cheese products) is closer to plastic than it is to cheese...

Dan
Chatwin
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I can see healthier consuming effecting performance is if the person becomes too strained in trying to do things right and cannot rest enough to run well. In which situation, it's not the diet plan plan that is the issue, rather the individuals attitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: