Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: training Reply with quote

hey, me again.. This forum is helping me alot so I am gonna ask more questions.. I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. Like i mentioned before I have been running for about a year and a half but never really pushed myself speedwise. When i do mind you i suffer from shin splints.. but i am working on that so i'm crossing my fingers .. but what can i do to get to that point. i noticed someone else got there time for each 1/4 mile laid out for them. so they would know if they were on track with the time. what can you recommend for someone like me.

ps.. dan .. i noticed you're from canada.??? cool.. me too.. bc..

thanks..
cyndi
also can you recommend some great shoes.. ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes ... but what can i do to get to that point.

Depends entirely on where you're at now...

Quote:
ps.. dan .. i noticed you're from canada.??? cool.. me too.. bc..

Ditto. Smile Vancouver, to be precise.

Quote:
also can you recommend some great shoes.. ???

Can't be of much help there, sorry. I kinda haven't bought a pair of running shoes since late '97 Surprised so I'm a bit out of touch with the latest models. I'm quite partial to Nike, myself, but Asics tends to be a favorite among women.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably running a mile in about 11 1/2 minutes.. bad eh?? Neutral so what do you think..? Is there any hope for me..???

cyndi
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you have until you need to meet that goal?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Nike fan until I tried Asics. But the main thing is to go to a specialty running store where there are knowledgable sales people who will fit you with the right kind of shoe for your foot mechanics. That could solve the shin splint problem.

One of the things that helped me with shin splints was stretching the calf muscles. Something about the opposing muscle groups needing to be flexible. Also try to run on the softest surface you can.

Good luck and keep us posted. Also curious about the time limit on your run. Fitness test for a job? I've had to do that a couple of times. Very Happy
Micah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. i'm guessing or should i say hoping for about 3 months or so.. maybe sooner.. it's for a job.. so it's very important to me.. want to impress...

thanks micah for the tips.. i am using asics now actually and they are quite good.. i wonder if i have a foot pronation?? problem..i know my feet turn in a bit.. don't have much of an arc on my feet.. when my feet are wet they make duck like marks on the ground.. nice..

cyndi
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 months gives you a fair amount of time to work with. I wouldn't worry about anything fancy for now (save that for about 6 weeks out), just focus on slowly increasing your mileage and pace. You want to be able to accomplish two things in your training with relative comfort:

1) Run longer than 1.5 miles.

2) Run faster than 8 minute per mile pace.

So, an intermediate goal might be 3 miles at 10 minute pace, then 2 miles at 9 minute pace, eventually testing yourself with 1.5 miles at around 8:20 pace. If you get to that point, there's a good chance you'll be able to take the extra step when it matters.

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya forgot about the breathing Dan Surprised

I am following your breathing notes from past threads right now.

Had nice easy runs Saturday and Sunday (50's)to get back running outside, and not on the dreadmills.

10k trail on April 5th Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right... When in doubt, breathe. Smile

Dan
baby t
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: faster overall runner Reply with quote

Right now I'm a slower runner. My 3K is half an hour. What are some basic tips I can use to improve that and run even faster. :question: Very Happy
alisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: shoes Reply with quote

Micha's answer about going to a good shoe store is the key - they should test your pronation, watch you run, etc. If they aren't doing that for you, find another running store! With that said, I had bad shin splint problems when running on road (I'm predominantly a trail runner). Asic Kayanos, while extremely spendy, cleared that right up - most of my mileage is on trails, but I do an occassional road marathon and with Kayanos, they help my over pronation and stop the shin splints. If you have forefoot pain (I have neuroma) then you may need to put a metatarsal pad in the Kayanos as they aren't phenomenal for forefoot stabilazation (although, if you have major overpronation or forefoot movement etc. then you really need orthodics in addition to good shoes).
Hope that helps,
Alisa
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gel kayanos worked for me, and i get shin splints very easy. try to get some proper stretching in.. try shin raises and heel step downs.. also some walking on toes varying direction of foot (forward, sides) and skipping on toes, heels but on soft surfaces.. try these exercises 3-4 times a week. if you want i can e-mail you the exercises..
angelina_rayne@hotmail.com
let me know and good luck. Very Happy
Cameron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: 1.5 miles in 12 minutes Reply with quote

as a great man once said ...just run faster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: