Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Even pacing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Even pacing Reply with quote

Usually I run my races on the track with a fast first lap, whether it be accidental, or an attempt to stay with the pack. But this weekend I tried keeping myself under control in the 3000. I ran the first lap in 1:16 (which was right on my goal pace) rather than doing it in 1:10 or 1:12 like I usually end up doing. After 3 or 4 laps I couldn't believe the difference it made. I was on pace to beat my pb of 9:40 and it was just plain easy. It didn't stay easy, obviously, by I felt much better at the end of the race than I normally do and my finishing time was 9:35. People always tell me that even splits will give you the fastest time, I just didn't think it would make that big of a difference.

A week ago I ran the 1500 in 4:24 and it was really tough. I felt like I had pushed myself as hard as I could, but my first lap was in 66 seconds and my average was 70. So in the 1500 I did earlier today, I ran 69's all the way and finished in 4:18. Not only that, but I didn't really feel like I pushed myself that hard.

All in all, a good weekend for Graeme. Was really happy to break that 4:20 mark in the 1500.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb job, Graeme Exclamation Exclamation Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Not only did you PR, it was quite a learning experience. I'll leave it to the more experienced distance folks to comment on the even pacing. And I'm glad you started your own thread. You deserve it.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. Smile

I think the reason "even pacing" and "negative splits" get a sometimes bad rap is because many people are lazy and don't specify what race they're talking about. For something like the 3k, there's no question that keeping the pacing even is going to yield the best performance, as is the case for anything longer. The 800/1500 are a bit murky -- examples of people doing well with even pacing, but most record level performances come with faster first laps -- probably because they're mid-distance events right around that 50/50 aerobic/anerobic split. As the distances get shorter, it becomes more and more essential to maximize each energy system, sort of like watching the tachometer hit near-red line as you shift through the gears of your car... Start out slower, and you won't get that energy back later.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Graeme Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

You are right on track with the even pacing. I will defer to Dan on the 800/1500 range but, in Ward's Worthless Opinion, when you get into 3K and up even pacing or negative splits is the way to go.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was just a coincidence that I ran well in the 1500 and had even splits.

The first school meet is coming up next week and I have to finish in the top three to get to provincials. It's usually quite competative, so it'll probably go out fast.

I'm predicting a sub four Rolling Eyes
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it was just a coincidence that I ran well in the 1500 and had even splits.

Not necessarily. There are some people who just run better in the mid-distances with even splits. I still don't believe those occasional examples have truly maxed out their potential, but we'll never know... It could be that even pacing is the best strategy for you, or it could be that you were ready for the big breakthrough and it just clicked that day regardless of tactics. The important thing is to race how you're most comfortable, and if even pacing gives you that confidence, then there's your answer!

In a field that may go 4+ seconds per lap faster than your current average, it's all the more important to be very smart in your pacing. Give yourself an opportunity to do well, but you don't want to get too excited and run a 800m PR enroute, leaving nothing to finish with...

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone comes out of nowhere and runs a really fast 1500, I'll be competative with all but one of the runners. One guy will go between 4:00 and 4:10. Then there'll probably be 4 people, including myself, running in the teens. I have as good a chance as anyone.

Only problem is that the 3000 is only an hour and 40 minutes before the 1500. Luckily, they have heats, and the 1500 final won't go until the next day. I won't have to run very quickly in the heat to qualify for finals, but less than 2 hours still isn't a lot of rest. The meet goes all day so I don't understand why they have to be right next to each other.

I was looking at a list of split times for previous 800m world records the other day. I'm not sure about Kipketer's 1:41, but most of the records set by Africans before that were with positive splits, but I noticed that the European runners who had had the record usually ran even splits (with the exception of Seb Coe). I guess there could be a lot of reasons for that.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's only one person out ahead, that probably won't string things out much, so you should be in excellent shape.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the first day of the meet.

My first event was the 3000m. I decided before the race that since it was my best chance at qualifying for provincials I would rather die trying to get third (top 3 qualify) before I would get fourth. I went into third place right at the beginning and that's where I stayed. I felt like I had something left at the end, but I had a 1500 to do later in the day, so I held back a little bit. My finishing time was 9:23 (old pb was 9:35). Second place was 3 seconds ahead, and first was 3 seconds ahead of second. That was a big relief as it guaranteed that I will be going to provincials.

I also ran the first heat of the 1500 a bit less than 2 hours later. I was lucky in that I was in the last and easiest heat. Top 2 from each heat qualify, plus the next 8 fastest times. I sat back in second place for the first lap, but it was slow (1:14) so I took the lead at about 600m. I didn't want to run the risk of being out kicked by runners that I would normally be able to beat. By the end of the third lap I had really stretched out the race and was able to relax. Then some guy ran at a full out sprint for the last 200m and I wound up second. I don't know why you would bother to do that since the top 2 are guaranteed to go to the final. I just jogged the last 100m since 3rd place was out of striking distance. My time was 4:36.

Tomorrow is the 1500 final. Hopefully I can qualify for BC's in that event too.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent running and racing, Graeme!! Thumbs Up You are really mowing down your PR's this month. Good luck tomorrow Exclamation Exclamation
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully executed strategy! Looks like we've got a master tacticion in our midst, fellas. Thumbs Up

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, You are the man Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Your strategy and thought process is very mature. I'm impressed.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey great job man! I'm new to the board but from what everyone else is saying you are improving quite a bit!
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Excuse me for my ignorance, but are you in HS up there in BC? College? If so to either what grade? I'm not trying to infringe on your privacy or anything just interested in how much more time you got at that level.

Keep up the good work in any case! Very Happy
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to high school in Nanaimo, BC, and I'm in grade 11. So I've still got one more year.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some advice from me, that I am sure that you do not need...

Take advantage of High School, because its one of the best times of your life, and a great chance to develop your running. Don't give up like I did, because now I am back running again except three years behind where I should be!

I hope you continue running in college. I am going into sophomore year in college and I am transferring out of a school that doesn't have running programs to one that does. I plan to continue posting on this board because the people here are the most reasonable, rational, level-headed message board inhabitants in the history of the internet... well maybe exaggerating but you get my point! Razz

So good luck and keep us updated! I know that I am interested!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: