Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
The spark is not there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, this is Dan D, from Portland, OR. Been asking many questions in the past and now. But anyways, my thing is that like in the summer, i was so motivated to run and to just get out there and hammer the speed work, even three months before the racing season started. I had this drive in me. I wanted to be good. I trained hard and loved it and was motivated and had plenty of energy. This was in the summer. I ended up winning the my regional community college NWAACC championship race. I was so happy winnig the 8k. Now its the winter season, and i just don't have the spark or that drive. I feel depressed and feel since i dont have that drive anymore, i won't perform well in track. plus i've felt de-energized and got sick for like three days, and sometimes i have problems breathing from my stomach bloating. My body doesn't feel normal like it did in the summer. I might of been overtrained but i took a good amount of time off. I don't know Dan, any advice how to get the drive back? thanks Danny D
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think if I know any Dan D's that ran in the NWAACC... Can't think of any, so your secret is safe for now. Smile If it was this past year, then I think I know...

I also have a much harder time motivating myself this time of year, especially if I'm running alone. I think that's true for most people, though, and it rarely shows in sub-par track performances.

One thing to consider is that if you were hammering 3 months before XC started, that pretty much means you went straight from a track season into hard summer training into cross country. If you didn't get sufficient rest between seasons, your body is probably exhausted right now (could explain the fatigue and illness).

Do you have anyone to train with right now? That can make a huge difference for winter motivation. Just finding someone to help get you out the door can be all the boost you need.

As far as the tummy troubles, that sounds a lot like the discomfort I had before eliminating wheat, dairy, and egg from my diet. Wheat especially leads to a very bloated feel. If you can reduce your wheat consumption by replacing it with more rice, corn, and soy flours, you may well feel better. How is your diet in general?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, my eating habits are fairly well. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, salmon, and beans and cereals. Also i try getting a lot of vegetables. I've been drinking more chocolate soy milk. I do like to indulge in chocolate ice-cream and chocolate and sweets. But overall i would rate my diet about a 8 out of a 10. I do eat a lot more protein than most of my teammates or other runners in general. But thats just because i've got that whole a lot of protein diet in my mind from my brother who's all into body building and strengh training, so it kind of rubs off on me. I eat i think enough grains and pasta and stuff. But you know, i'm not 100% sure whats wrong with me. It seems my metabolism has slowed down or something. seems i can;t eat as much as i used to be able to. I get full really fast nowadays and stay full for a long time. I would easily eat 5 times a day like 3200 calories easy. I mean i was always hungry. Now, i can't seem to get hungry execpt for when i run. It kind of sucks. Now its like im never really hungry. And also i do train with buddies, but im still like mentally exhausted from running and training too. Wierd. But i hope i can bounce back.
thanks Danny d
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can see this one won't be easy to get to the bottom of... When did the doldrums first set in? Was it during XC or after the season ended? Did anything change other than being out of season? How much time did you take off after XC?

Your diet seems pretty sound, although the high protein thing is definitely not embraced by the distance running community. Funny you should mention chocolate soy milk. I've been drinking a half glass a day of vanilla soy milk mixed with cocoa powder for the past 6 months. Smile

Not feeling hungry isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you feel hungry when you really aren't, and over eat as a result, then that would be bad. As it is, if you are fueling the furnace sufficiently and don't feel under fed, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, buy Silk brand chocolate soy milk. Its great. Yeah, i started feeling down or different from normal about three weeks before the end of my season, but i still ran good. By the way, do you by any chance know
Harlend Yredi? I think he coaches at Lane... great guy, i need to get a hold of him so i can become a counselor at Steens Mt. Running camp in the summer... thanks dan
Danny Dobra
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met Harlan (sp?) once or twice, but I wouldn't really say I know him. I do however know people who do know him well and are regulars at the Steens camp, so I'm sure I can get you contact info.

I've never seen the Silk brand...

Quote:
Yeah, i started feeling down or different from normal about three weeks before the end of my season, but i still ran good.

I suspected that might be the case. It hit you just late enough in the season to allow you to still cruise through. The best I can figure right now is that you over trained during the summer, resulting in late season burnout.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny,

If you still need Harlan's phone number, send me an email and I'll pass it along to you.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: