Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
increasing by more than 10%?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jme67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: increasing by more than 10%? Reply with quote

I'm a visitor to your forum, but I've read enough of the posts to feel confident about the opinions I might get here. Nice board BTW. Thumbs Up

I'm a new runner, in the process of building a base. I've read 1000 times about the 10% rule and I know that is the standard answer to increasing milage. Maybe I'm an anarchist, or just thickheaded, but I don't like that rule. I don't see how that could possibly apply to all runners.

I recently read an article that quoted Jack Daniels, PhD., "'I like to have runners increase mileage not more often than every third week. Then an increase of five to 10 miles is possible. Three weeks give the body time to adapt or react to a previous stress before imposing a new stress,' says Daniels."

I read this to mean, stay at one level for at least 2 weeks, then increase (up to 10 miles, depending on where you are now), staying at the new level for at least 2 weeks before increasing anymore.

This sounds like a plan that would work for me, and help me build up the miles a little faster. Being a newbie, I don't have the experience most of you have, therefore I'm willing to listen to that experience. Obviously I don't want to get injured, but I don't want to keep my running challenging and keep a goal in front of me.

Any feedback? Maybe there are other schools of thought that I just haven't heard about yet. I'm open to other ideas too. Thanks a lot...

jme
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for visiting. Smile

The 10% rule is just a guideline, nothing more. It gives a nice easy number to remember and calculate and works reasonably well for most runners. The problem with it is that it doesn't work very well when you're just starting up, as it takes forever to accumulate any meaningful mileage. The Daniels system sounds like it has some merit to it, as there definitely is an adjustment period to any change or increase in exercise level.

One thing to keep in mind when getting into running (or most any other activity, for that matter) is that you will almost always be able to do more than you are capable of handling without significant delay onset pain... Start conservatively until you get a feel for what your body is prepared to handle, otherwise you'll end up skipping runs while the burning in your quads subsides...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the 10% rule I grew up with the 5 mile rule. Increase mileage by no more than 5 miles a week. Which has served me well over the years. Especially if you're young (as in high school age) 5 miles is a better rule than 10% since young bodies generally handle increased activitiy better than adults. Another method for increasing mileage that is very common is to cycle mileage. Three weeks up and one down. For example lets say your currently running 30 miles a week. To increase your mileage what I would have you do is in a four week cycle go week 1 run 33 miles, week 2 run 35 miles, week 3 run 37 miles week 4 run 30 miles. This method allows you to increase mileage quickly and adding in a lower week into the cycle allows you body a respite to adapt to the higher training level. Although this type of mileage increase is generally done by established runners rather than be people who are just starting out.

Now to put the horse squarely behind the cart how much are you currently running, how much would you like to be running and what are you trying to achieve with you running :question:
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I have been running 25 years with the last 3-4 being plagued by injury. My council is to take it easy and err on the side of caution. 10% is a guideline and not something etched in stone so the main thing is to listen to your body and adjust accordingly. Having said that I would repeat DG's questions. Good luck and keep us posted.
Micah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys... you asked,

Distance_Guru wrote:

Now to put the horse squarely behind the cart how much are you currently running, how much would you like to be running and what are you trying to achieve with you running :question:

I'm running now 10-15 miles per week. I'd like to be running 25 to 30 mpw regularly. After I've been running at that level for 6 months or so, I'd like to work toward running a marathon. If I'm still running after that, Wink I'd like to work on getting faster! (around 11min mile now)

Julie
NW Ark
(Home of the SEC Men & Women's X-C champions, AGAIN! Thumbs Up )
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know your would probably want to increase a little faster than this but here's a plan to get you to that 25-30 mile per week range safely and fairly quickly.

Week 1... 15 miles
Week 2... 18 miles
Week 3... 21 miles
Week 4... 16 miles
Week 5... 23 miles
Week 6... 26 miles
Week 7... 29 miles
Week 8... 24 miles

That plan takes you up to 29 miles (double what your running now) in 7 weeks. And it does so as safely as possible via internet message board.

Now, if you tell me how often you run now and how often you are willing to run, I can come up with some sample weeks for you to go along with this mileage out line.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a solid plan. Thumbs Up

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance_Guru wrote:

Now, if you tell me how often you run now and how often you are willing to run, I can come up with some sample weeks for you to go along with this mileage out line.

Distance Guru

That plan looks good. Increasing faster, (but not too fast) than the plans I have been studying.

I'm running four days a week now, willing to run 6 dpw. I can run up to 1 and 1/2 hours on weekdays and any amount of time on weekends.

Thanks so much,

Julie
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are examples of how you might want to run each week. I've tried to space your rest days evenly, you should be able to take this and use it as is or modifiy it to fit your schedule.

Week 1
Mon...Tues...Wed..Thur...Fri...Sat..Su
...3.......off........4.......off......3....off....5 = 15
Week 2
Mon...Tues...Wed..Thur...Fri..Sat...Su
...3.......off........3........4........3....off....5 = 18
Week 3
...4.......off.......3.........4.......4.....off.....6 = 21
Week 4
Mon...Tues..Wed...Thur....Fri..Sat..Su
...4.......off......4........off......3.....off....5 = 16
Week 5
...4........off.......4.......5........4.....off....6 = 23
Week 6
Mon...Tues...Wed...Thur...Fri..Sat...Su
...5.......off......5..........4.......5...off.....7 = 26
Week 7
Mon...Tues....Wed..Thur...Fri..Sat...Su
....4.........5.........4.........5........4...off....7 = 29
Week 8
Mon...Tues...Wed..Thur...Fri...Sat...Su
5........off........4........5........4......off......6 = 24

I hope this plan helps, it should at the very least get you going in the right direction.
jme67

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

D.G.

The schedule looks great. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for taking the time to work that out for me.

I'm going to fill out my desk calendar now. Very Happy

later...

Julie
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie, it looks like DG has put together an excellent plan. I think I 'll call on him when I get my rehabbin' done. Keep us posted.
ellen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micah.. hope you get better very soon.
thanks for the info.. i copied the same schedule to my desktop..
i haven't been motivated lately.. too much annoying personal stuff in the way... so this plan is a keeper. Thumbs Up . thanks again Very Happy

ellen
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW- I know I'm behind but what is ailing you???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeated foot stress fractures. Sad

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bruised my heal about a month ago (hurdling a fence) and I haven't been able to run since. I feel like a member of my family is dead. I can't wait to start running again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: