FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
NYC Marathon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: NYC Marathon Reply with quote

As usual Kenyans won but there were a couple of interesting notes.

Meb K was the first US male finishing 9th.

Marla Runyan was first US female and 5th overall with Milena Glusac taking 10th.

Another interesting name was Julia Stamps as the 30th female. I remember when she was the top high school runner in the nation and going on to Stanford. Can't remember her ever doing much there. Can anyone else?

Well, I am at a week long class on decision making. Now it is time to go down to the lobby of the hotel and meet with some of my class mates and see if we can make a decision on where to go to dinner.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when Julia Stamps was in high school, she's about my age. She and Adam Gucher were supposed to be the future of American distance running, the man and woman that would lead the US distance running revival that was to go along with the end of the 90's. I actually got to see her run in person a couple of times, at Pre-Nats and Nationals in 98 (the Running with the Buffaloes, year). I remeber she finished well, top 15-20 or so at Pre-nats. But what I really recall was that she was very attractive and the goofy debate my team mates had about which one of us would go up and ask if he could have one of her socks... stupid college guy thing, you probably had to be there.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice Stamps in the race. As already noted, she was an incredible HS runner. I would give her credit as a revolutionary college runner in at least one respect -- she led the charge of top Footlocker finishers who went to Stanford and became a shadow of their former selves... She had a few solid seasons there, but it was a struggle to hit anywhere near the level she was in high school.

Is it my imagination, or did Meb fade 2-3 minutes in the last half mile? It was tough to figure the chronology of the race coverage on NBC with all the tape delay and pieced together snippets, but it sure sounded like they said he was in 5th place and on 2:09 pace toward the end of Central Park.

To think it was only 3 years ago that Marla had moved up to the 1500m...

Micah, how was dinner? Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummus and pita bread, Italian sausage pizza and two Guiness Stouts. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, that sounds like some serious indigestion. Rolling Eyes

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't too bad actually. Very Happy

With the performances at New York it looks like Radcliffe and KK are the obvious choices for top ranked marathoners of the year. I think this was Meb's first marathon and that looks good for the future.
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Runyan and Meb K in the NYC was really inspiring. Its been a long time (for me anyway) since I have watched a major distance event and had some hope. Not that there was real hope here. I do remember watching bob kennedy olympic 5000 (in a bar) and really feeling hope; or was I feeling the 6 of Buds I had already drank?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. For Marla, especially, there was a lot of build up that made it feel like she was actually part of the race instead of someone who just happened to be running the same route at the same time.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: