Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
The 4x1 in 2003

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's saying the 3rd leg is too important to be able to name a mere mortal to it... Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... Yes Bernard Williams ... Could be the second coming of Calvin Smith at that spot !!!

Note that my sqaud contains all quality 200 sprinters as well as 100 speed ... Drummond being the slowest at 20.04 ... In my opinion these types run better through the zone ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and have turn running experience.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoluteu ly ... If you look at the majority of sub 38's - especially on the low end - they are full of 200 types ... Calvin Smith, Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, Jon Drummond, Bernard Williams, Mike Marsh, Dennis Mitchell, Mo Greene !!!! These guys are able to push the stick through the zones ... Run the turns ... And finish things off !!!
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: 4 by 100 meters in the European Cup -- Super League Reply with quote

38.42 Italy ITA 1 Firenze 21 06 2003

38.45 Poland POL 2 Firenze 21 06 2003

38.52 United States USA 1 Walnut, CA 19 04 2003
(Avery Jerome, Miller Coby, Armstrong Aaron, Johnson Joshua J.)
38.56 Japan JPN 1 Osaka 10 05 2003

___I remember when I wrote somewhere in the IAAF fora that when in the top shape, the Poles, with a near perfect relay run, can run around 38.50. I was wrong, in a rather poor shape, the Poles ran faster. The same certainly applies to the Italian team that holds now season best 06/24/2003). Both teams, it seems, with the respect to the top four athletes, seem to be averaging around 10.5 s per 100 meters.
___If the Italians, the Poles, and the Japanese will keep it up, or improve, the situation in the 4 x 100 m relay will become very unpredictable. The side effect of the pressure put by these teams on the "super powers" may be more falls, faults, and drops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping

Last edited by Indeurr on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 38's will not play a factor in Paris ... These guys are running nicely ... But mid 38's are not medal winning performances unless a whole lot of people drop batons or run out of zones ... 37's will be needed for at least the top 2 medals and maybe bronze ...
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: pressure, progress, potential Reply with quote

___Nevertheless, mid 38's would put pressure on other teams, and when it comes to the speed of the individual runners these two teams have a lot, about 0.5 second total, space for improvement.
___I agree that progress continous. However, I would not like to make a prediction what time will be necessary to get a medal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Kishan Gill
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: relay Reply with quote

the us team has not had the oppurtunity to nurture a good 3rd/4th leg as it did with smith/lewis and later mitchell /lewis.

My ideal running order would be drummond, montgomery, williams and greene.

If greene doesn,t pull out of the relay in paris because of a slight niggle in his groin or somewhere else ( you can almost sense something like that happening), i agree this year should be the year when they could run 37.2 or less even with unorthodox passing such is the exceptional combined speed of the quartet.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, the two slowest (Drummond and Williams) of the group are looking to be the most consistent this season. Tough to figure which Mo and Tim will show up in Paris. Confused

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Tim and Mo both showing up in shape in Paris ... And with Mo out of the deuce and with a week's rest he should be fine by relay time ... But I would switch Tim and Bernard .... Bernard is one hell of a stretch runner on the relay ... And I like the idea of Tim driving Mo through the zone ... THAT is where a sub 37 couold be made !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Tim and Mo work together, though?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT will be the million dollar question ... I say they can if they are adults ... But we both know that that is not how these guys function ... My gut says both won't be on the relay as egos will get in the way ... But having said that who do you get rid of and why ??? You don't ... Someone will have to walk ... Walk due to ego problems ... Will be the biggest story of the summer ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can't co-exist, it will officially be due to injury... I think you either leave one out or put them on 2nd and 4th leg (or try Tim on leadoff? Confused ), so as to avoid a most likely bad situation.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will get ugly ... Only becasue teh two of them have been so vocal about each other on a repeated basis ... That and Tim has no discression with his mouth ...

A goodo coach can handle this situation ... You simply take Tim aside (since he seems to have the most problems with ego) and you talk to him about the importance of the third leg .. The fact that historically, it is the leg that truly decides the race ... The fact that guys like Calvin Smith, Dennis Mitchell, James Sanford took that leg and made it exciting ... And that a great third leg takes all of the focus off of the anchor !!! And that this is his opportunity to separate himself from the others by creating this same kind of excitement ... His opportunity to shine above all - including Mo !!!

Of course no one has the balls to do this ... I'd do it if they'd pay me a fee and let me ... Laughing
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a coach could convince him of it, all hell would break loose during the interview after the race... "Tim, how do you feel about playing second fiddle to Greene on the relay?" Yeah, like he'd have the discretion to handle that one gracefully... Rolling Eyes

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: