Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
ITBFS recovery period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob in rhode island
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: ITBFS recovery period Reply with quote

I'm new to these forums, and I'll start off with a question about an injury that's dogged me since an October marathon.

I'm in PT twice a week (ultrasound and stretching) for ITBFS, and am very discouraged by my lack of progress in recovery. Halfway through the marathon, my ITB started to hurt and I popped 4 ibuprofin which were given to me by a friend on a bike at about 16 miles. I ran the rest of the race and didn't feel much pain, but had a rough time afterwards. Ever since, the pain has not been severe enough to be noticed when walking or even running very short distances, but when I try to go beyond three miles it still begins to chafe and grind, after weeks of therapy and about 8 ultrasound treatments. I am also on an anti-inflammatory and have been stretching twice daily to lengthen the tissue and reduce friction on the band. I didn't run for a 14 days and then started again slowly, only to have the damn thing stop me again. I'm caught in a cycle of laying off and then running to see if it has improved, but it is incredibly slow to heal.

Which brings me to my question. What's the longest any of you who have had this problem had to lay off before a full recovery was reached?

Thanks a lot in adance for your input.

Rob
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, some good deep tissue (massage) work is the only truly effective way to go. Not only can it have you up and running in no time, but typical rehab programs can go on indefinitely with no real effect on IT problems.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rob in rhode island
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dan"]In my experience, some good deep tissue (massage) work is the only truly effective way to go. Not only can it have you up and running in no time, but typical rehab programs can go on indefinitely with no real effect on IT problems.

Thanks Dan. My PT did a little massage the other day and I'll treat myself at home in the interim. I have a little concern that, since it is a friction problem, massage could exacerbate things. But who knows?

The massage issue has been confounding, since my sports med doctor mentioned that the deep tissue massage I received a few days prior to the marathon may have screwed things up a bit, somehow bringing on the friction that caused the pain in the first place. I was ultra tight (the massage therapist said I was "hyper tonal") and she really worked me over hard.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT band syndrom is a strange problem. It can be as mild as making a knee ache for a day or so to ending a runners career. And the recovery is equally varied. Last year I had an athlete that came down with it and was out for 10 weeks using convetional treatment (stretching, ultra sound) she even got a cortizone shot. None of that did a thing. Finally the training staff gave her electro stem treatment. She was running within 4 days. I've also seen and had deep tissue massage work very well on problem causing IT bands. For some reason doctors tend not to like message treatments. (I think it's that non-conventional treatments usually aren't popular with doctors.) From what I understand on of the big sources of IT band problems is that the band and the underlying muscle quit sliding past each other smoothly and stick together. Which resluts in tension and irritation of the band. Deep tissue massage can help the muscle and the IT band slide past each other more easily.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also good and bad massage work...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rob in rhode island
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellas. looking for books on treatment right now.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: