Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
The Rabbit

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NO other aspect of trackAND field gets that kind of assistance ..

What about stadiums that are designed for the most advantageous jav/discus winds or situated such that the sprints typically have a tailwind (or more often always a headwind Sad )? Or rock hard tracks... That would seem at least as advantageous. Tougher to control, to be sure, but still a major source of assistance that is probably even less within the spirit of competition and the pursuit of records.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings on this one. The topic also comes up with women runners in road races and whether or not they are being paced by men. While a rabbit or pacer may make it easier to run a faster pace, the bottom line is that the runner using the rabbit still has to run the race. The rabbit ain't carrying anybody on his back.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women getting pacing assistance from men is a different matter, in my opinion. If you're going to allow that, then men ought to be able to receive pacing from cars or horses...

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But again...the pacer ain't carrying anybody...the individual runner still has to run the pace being set....
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
What about stadiums that are designed for the most advantageous jav/discus winds or situated such that the sprints typically have a tailwind (or more often always a headwind Sad )? Or rock hard tracks... That would seem at least as advantageous. Tougher to control, to be sure, but still a major source of assistance that is probably even less within the spirit of competition and the pursuit of records.

Dan

Stadiums aren't built to take advantage of the winds typically ... They are all mostly built north/south I think and some areas just have more favorable wind conditions ... But lately tracks have been engineered for speed and you know I am against that ... Especially when they are torn down after 2 competitions ... The one thing about "special stadiums and tracks" is that given available competitions anyone can go there and fgive it a shot ... My problem with Atlanta is that no one else can do that now ... So Mo or Gatlin or Tim or no one else can take advantage of what was obviously the fastest track ever built ... MJ never again got remotely close and was obviously in as good or better condition after that !!!!!

But pacing goes beyond all that .... Its not about what you bring to the table ... It is about what you and your crew bring to the table ... Pacing signifies group effort not individual effort ... And that is my problem with it ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But again...the pacer ain't carrying anybody...the individual runner still has to run the pace being set....

Yeah, but if you allow those "foreign" pace setters, you're changing the nature of the event. Why even have age-group and separate sex races then?

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of one stadium (recently torn down) that was definitely built with winds in mind and I've heard of a few others, but you're probably right that it isn't a very common thing. Just pointing out that there are all sorts of assistance... Smile Same reason I'm not terribly in favor of altitude and wind adjustments. Just too many uncontrollable factors to pretend some can be accounted for meaningfully.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

___I wish that the rubber/tartan track that we have in Elizabeth was built to improve 'our' times.
___On the 200 m portion (also last part of the 300 or 400 m, or any other run), you are actually running-up a slight hill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: