Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Embarrassing problem-you've heard it before

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaryC
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Embarrassing problem-you've heard it before Reply with quote

I am training for my first marathon in December. I am a 45 year old woman in good health. I came here to see if I could find help with the "potty problem" that I now see is fairly common. I develop a bad case of diarrhea on many of my runs. Embarassed I see that diet is mentioned more often than anything as the culprit-but is there anything specifically that you can tell me I need to eat or avoid? I usually eat just a normal dinner the night before, fairly early, and eat nothing or a banana before running in the morning. You all talk about going before the run, but for the life of me I cannot make myself go at a certain time. The only time I go now is when I run!! Sad Has anyone tried taking Immodium before they run? But I must admit that I hate to tamper with this as i would not like to end up with the opposite problem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am running 16 on Saturday and it would be SO nice to get through it without this problem!
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of things that help me (as I like almost every runner have had this problem). First I always try to eat the same thing as much a possible before a run, for me it was lunch before an afternoon long run, for you it could be dinner the night before. That way you know how your body will react to what you ate. Always eat and run at the same times everyday. I always try and go before I run and I've found that you can train your body to go at a certain time if you always eat the same time and then go before you run if you do it at the same time every day. One trick I will use is the warm up run. If you ever can't make yourself go, then run a mile or two and then try to go. It almost always does the trick and will allow you a trouble free long run.
MaryC
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: thanks for responding Reply with quote

Thanks for the info DG-I really appreciate it. I do think running a little bit close to home might help-although lately it has been more than one trip to the Porta Potty on each run!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always run loops around a porta-potty. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MaryC
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh-it's sad when you plan your running routes around the potty breaks! Confused
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: