Distance Den
Chicago Marathon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note...the London win was and still is the fastest marathon by a woman in a women-only race. The WR she just missed in London was set in 2001's Chicago (ie, mixed) race. So she holds 'both' world bests now, and they were the first two marathons of her career.

I can't think of anyone who won such major races on the country, road and track in one season before. Paul Tergat may have come close; perhaps a great runner like Ingrid Kristiansen did at her peak in the mid/late 80s. But even if so, it's unlikely the level of performance was quite so stellar.

I am immensely proud of Radcliffe - she's not just a great runner but an inspiraration through her sheer guts and hard work. Her training programme, attention to detail and meticulaous planning are incredible. And she's JUST SO DARN NICE! She is so modest, so pleasant, so friendly. It's a privilege to have her in the sport, a privilege to share a nationality with her.

She came to prominence 10 years ago, winning the WJ X-C champs, and has been plugging away with unfailing good grace and determination ever since. This season is the result of 10 years of never giving up and using each setback as a spur to train harder and harder. She's only 28 now, and has perhaps 3-4 more years to go at the top. Her sole aim now is Olympic gold, probably over the original Marathon course, in 2004. WC etc next year will be an intermediate goal, a stepping stone. This year is, I hope, just the start.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any single seasons that Radcliffe's doesn't stack up well against. A few possible challengers would be FloJo's '88 and Wilson Kipketer's '97, but they stand more on the basis of quality than quantity (although pretty solid in the latter department, too).

I see Justin just hit on that topic a bit...

However, I'm unwilling to let one statement stand without at least commenting on it:
Quote:
runs the fastest non-Chinese (read; clean) 10k

There is no proof that the Chinese times were any less clean than Radcliffe's (or hers any more clean, depending on perspective), so I find that statement rather sad coming from someone who defends her innocence vigorously. Sad

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that ElG's series of marks is better and therefore gives him an advantage over Sanchez ... Just wanted to ensure that with all the talk of undefeated seasons that we weren't talking about just one ... And as Justin stated, and what i have been getting at, is that a qualilty season is just that ... In spite of the occasional defeat ...

As far as KK is concerned ... Yes he did about half of what Paula did ... But then I don't think anyone has done what Paula did !!! So I Odon't t hink that should be held against him ... As for KK v ElG a pair of 2:05's in an event where if you race 3 times you may have over raced is phenomenal !!!

Paula ... As I said this weekend "Praise Paula" ... Her season is better than FloJo's infamous 1988 ... Better than the Chinese as what they did occured in single championship meets in 93/97 ... Better than Koch's 47.60 season ... Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone with as good a season ... Maybe Geb in one of his record seasons ... I htink he would come closest ...

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
There is no proof that the Chinese times were any less clean than Radcliffe's (or hers any more clean, depending on perspective), so I find that statement rather sad coming from someone who defends her innocence vigorously.

You're right shame on me Sad . I should not automaticlly assume that the Chinese athletes were cheating even if almost everyone in the west stronglly believes that they were. And they had no build up and very few follow up marks to validate thier times.

Back to the greatest season ever, what about Johnson's 1996 season where he won the double gold in the 400 and 200 with that blistering WR 200 in Atlanta. I can't really remeber what else he did that year but if memeory serves he won almost every time he steped on the track. I want to say he only lost one race (a 200) all year, but that's just pulling from off the top of my head.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shucks, if Bob Costas says it's so, then it must be so!!! Neutral He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones...

MJ also set the 200m WR prior to the Olympics on the same Atlanta track in '96, but Fredericks showed him to be not quite invincible during that summer. Not sure how that reflects on his overall season, though.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on the Chinese women has nothing to do with Bob Costas.

And I have yet to hear of any of the Chinese women demanding to be tested, releasing the results of their tests publiclly or asking to have their blood frozen for future examination.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese .. MJ ... Paula Radcliff ... Hmm ... NOthing was ever proven about the Chinese ... Ma's "potion" was examined I believe and nothing was found .. Nothing illegal that is ... My positin on the Chinese is that I believe that they were tremendously aided by what ever it was that Ma gave them ... But that that in and of itself is NOT illegal ... There is so much that we do not know about Chinese history and their medicine in particular .... Herbs, roots and concoctions are standard fare ... Accupuncture, varoius forms of applied kinesiology are as well ... They did things thousadnds of years ago that doctors still can't explain ... So therefore it is consisdered taboo or impossible or given ohter negative connotations ... They did it in 93 ... disappeared and came back again in 97 ... Whtever they did ... It worked ... And goes back to my thread about importing people and trying to learn as opposed to immedaitely castigating them ...

MJ in 96 was not all conquering ... FRedericks had his number in general ... But he did have those great Atlanta races - trials and games ... But his season was not the equivalent of Paula's ... I'm thinkin GEb of 97/98 was running both 5k and 10k at those kind of levels but hadn't yet added the marathon ... Kristiansen maybe when she was dominating the track and marathon ... Kazankina back in the mid/late 70's over 800 and 1500 .. But cna't think of anyone with that kind of dominance AND range !!! MJ didn't have the range ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My opinion on the Chinese women has nothing to do with Bob Costas.

Costas was among the more publicly visible in voicing the sentiment you described, that's all.

Quote:
And I have yet to hear of any of the Chinese women demanding to be tested, releasing the results of their tests publiclly or asking to have their blood frozen for future examination.

And I've explained ad nauseum that the likelihood of any of those athletes using detectable drugs is slim. We also talked about the uncovered issue of whether anyone even knows if drug traces will break down over time in frozen blood. In other words, the above statements tell us nothing about an individual's innocence or guilt. Likewise, we have exactly as much proof of the guilt of the Chinese as we do of Radcliffe: zero. To assume one is clean and the other is dirty is to look through some pretty darned rose colored glasses...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that I'm biased against the Chinese athletes because of all the supposed potions they were on and from personal experence. We actually had a Chinese trainer or advisor or what ever you want to call her for about half a season when I was running in college. From what I remember coachd got rid of her for persisting in knowing what formulas (drugs, herbs what have you) he had us on. Appearently in China if your not having turtle blood soup, worm fungus and what not for breakfast your not really training. These two cases are obviously not enough to condem an enitre nations performances. However they are enough for me to form an opinion. Add that to the lack of times run by most of those same athletes to back up thier top times and things start to look mighty suspicious. That's on top of a notoriously closed government and society to outsiders, and an athletic system that is vertiually the same as the one used by eastern block countries which had rampant drug use from WWII until the late 80's early 90's. Where as Paula, as Justin has pointed out, has had 10 years of progression to get to the level she has achieved and has been more than open about what she is on and what her test results have been.
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma's army is difficult. The reasons put forward for suspecting they were cheating were as follows:

1. They are dirty cheating Chinese commies (paraphrased, but you get the idea). Simple ugly prejudice.

2. They came from nowhere. Well, only because (a) we'd never seen any Chinese effort to produce athletes before; (b) we know nothing about Chinese athletics so how would we hear of their rise?

3. They were all so young. Well, look at how they were ruthlessly selected, trained to breaking point (discarded if they broke) and then shunted on for the next ones; they were an experiment, a painful one. Not easy to survive that programme much past the teens.

4. They ran so much faster. Well, perhaps this just shows how stagnant had women's distance running become, how low the goals being set. 8:30 has been a world class 3k time for 25 years, at a time when the men's events have exploded and the women's events should have matured. It's amazing how the track world has pretended the Chinese times don't exist rather than thinking "hmmm...so how can I run 8:06?". Aim for 31 mins and you run that; aim for 30 (as Radcliffe did) and guess what...30 mins. I doubt anyone told Wang Junxia that 8:20 was a fast time.

If a US coach was given carte blanche to take any young teenager he wanted from their homes anywhere in the US, whether they wanted it or not and whatever their parents thought, and train them to be runners, brutally pushing them so 90% broke and were sent home as failures, how fast do you think the survivors would be? That's what Ma Jungren did, and he had a hitherto untapped 1/4 of the world's population to draw from, 4 or 5 times the size of the USA or Europe.

There is no good evidence that the Chinese cheated and even if they did the wrong lessons have been drawn...rather than play see no evil, hear no evil and pretend it never happened (like Johnson's 9.79) it should have been seen as a glimpse of a new horizon. It's taken Paula Radcliffe to drag the stagnant world of women's distance running towards that horizon.

Justin
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, very nicely summarized. Smile I've always been suspicious of the Chinese system, being a Westerner and all, but I try to leave it as just that. Like Conway always says, whether or not everything was legit, an example has been given of what the human body can achieve. There's more than one way to get to any given point, so even if they did it with drugs, we at least know those times are humanly possibly and maybe can be arrived at in some other fashion.

One other item you didn't mention that bothers me the most is the fact that it was just the women who excelled, which sets off red flags of hormonal experimentation. I don't know if Ma worked with men (I think I remember reading that he said they would not be submissive enough or something), but that could explain it if not.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Dan that is precisely how I believe ... People get all twisted about "drug use" ... I do not believe that there is a drug in the world that can make the body do somehting that it is not capable of doing !!! One may have ot train harder or longer ... OR differently ... But until there is a Martian or Saturian that comes down and obliterates all records, I believe any record out there can be challenged ... The only record I do not think can be challenged is the women's 100 ... And not because of drugs, but becasue that records was wind aided !! I was there and it was NOT still ... But that is a different topic for a different time ...

Paula challenged herself ... And in so doing has gone to a different level ... A level previously explored and one that she believed she too could go to ... THAT is all that it takes ... Simplistically of course ... There is the corresponding work that must be done ... But it has to start with belief ... AS much as I hated Tim's mouth earier this year, he did believe he could supplant Mo ... I think if you were to ask Dwain, this was the first year he believed he had a chance against the Americans ...

The mind is more powerful than any drug ... It is there that the landscape for improvement is made or not made !!! NOT in the lab ... Think about how many drug using athletes get beat every time out ... How many get thrashed ... If it were just drugs Mo and Tim would NOT be the only two individuals under 9.80 !!! There is still human spirit and will ... Technique and training ... Too many human factors involved ... Human spirit alwalys prevails ...

Conway
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no good evidence that the Chinese cheated and even if they did the wrong lessons have been drawn...rather than play see no evil, hear no evil and pretend it never happened (like Johnson's 9.79) it should have been seen as a glimpse of a new horizon.

I was going to stay out of the fray here, but...Those who say there is "no evidence or...
Quote:
we have exactly as much proof of the guilt of the Chinese as we do of Radcliffe: zero

...need to take a closer look. 2 of Ma's athletes were banned in out-of-competition test prior to the 2000 Olympics. When it was announced that testing would be conducted at the Chinese games(1999, I believe) Ma put his athletes into vans and drove away...disappeared for months and finally reemerged with three athletes. Only one of these athletes even made the Chinese team in the end.

At least six of Ma's runners were kicked off the Chinese national team for "suspicious blood tests" by the Chinese federation.

Y. Dong came out of nowhere to run a sub-14:30 5k...no testing at that race...Then ran middle of the pack and 15:09 at the Edmonton world championships...where there was testing.

No Ma coached runner has ever achieved times or performances close to their best in a competition conducted under IAAF testing procedures. When his athletes have been subjected to tests--they get banned!

Chinese athletes (record-holders) in swiming, weightlifting and rowing have received bans for drug use. Ma's runners have been banned...there is ample evidence to suggest that there is systematic and widespread drug use by Chinese athletes in general and Ma's runners in particular.

Ma's claims of being persecuted by the Chinese federation don't hold up--his athletes have tested positive and when his athletes show up "clean" they perform well, but far below "world-shattering" levels.

Belief is indeed a big factor in performance---but like DG stated, Paula has shown a steady progression (perhaps inspired by the Chinese times, perhaps inspired by the fact that "cheaters" were setting world records---she is clearly on record beleiving the Chinese cheated)--I don't think the wrong lesson is learned if we take 2+2 and get 4...The Chinese cheated to achieve times that others had to chase.

I
Quote:
do not believe that there is a drug in the world that can make the body do somehting that it is not capable of doing !!!

Obviously no drug can make the body perform beyond the scope of physical limitations--how fast the muscles can twitch, how much stress a bone can endure before it snaps, etc.---but drugs CAN and DO allow one to train harder, recover faster, utilize oxygen more efficiently, etc.---all of these might result in performances beyond what can be achieved without the use of such drugs...I'm not saying records can't be challenged. I'm saying why should we accept tainted records and performances as the standard to chase? Yes, the times are humanly possible, I would just like to see them achieved without drugs.

Maybe some of you would like to see an end to testing and open up competition to any and all, drugs or no drugs, let's just see what the human body can possibly do?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those who say there is "no evidence or... need to take a closer look. 2 of Ma's athletes were banned in out-of-competition test prior to the 2000 Olympics...
Like I said, I'm suspicious of that program, but you've said nothing to counter the fact that we have no evidence of cheating from the group in question. The information you've shared is common knowledge, but it is 7 years after the fact!!! That may imply drug usage on the part of Ma's earlier group, but it certainly is nowhere near conclusive.

Quote:
No Ma coached runner has ever achieved times or performances close to their best in a competition conducted under IAAF testing procedures.
I think you're forgetting one...

5,000 metres - Atlanta Olympics
Gold: Junxia Wang China 14:59.88

10,000 metres - Atlanta Olympics
Silver: Junxia Wang China 31:02.58

So you see, we can all make a point if we are selective with the facts. Wink

Quote:
Chinese athletes (record-holders) in swiming, weightlifting and rowing have received bans for drug use.
As have athletes from nearly every other country, including the United States.

Quote:
drugs or no drugs, let's just see what the human body can possibly do?
Because we'll never know who is clean and who isn't -- far too unreliable to catch the users and even the positives are highly questionable at times -- so that simple and noble view of what the sport should be will only continue to damage it...

Dan
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wang won the gold in Atlanta--but she is also one of the athletes that pulled a disapearing act after running 29:31...three years later she is back and claims gold (running a minute and a half slower)...the effects of training with drugs clearly (in the mind of most) gave her an unfair advantage in achieving her later results.

How are the banned athletes prior to the 2000 Olympic games seven years old?

And you are exactly right--the evidence I spoke about is "common knowledge", the reason it is common knowledge is because it was so prevalent and obvious. Can I point to a vial of blood or urine and say, "Wang" took drugs to achieve this result"...no. Can I identify her as an athlete within a program that has had people test positive for drugs, has had athletes suddenly become the best in the world and then disappear from the radar, as an athlete who herself has said she was forced to take "potions" and "herbs" as part of her training, as a part of a group that refused to be tested by the Chinese federation...YES. This all casts considerable doubt on the achievments of these athletes.

So, in the end, your answer is to give up trying to catch cheaters and clean up the sport? Yours is the simple view...mine is the noble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: