Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Greatest Coaches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure ... Doing budgets is easy ... They key is identifying potential funidng sources and then clearly identifying potential expenses ... Funding sources we could just play with - it is hypothetical after all ... So what we would need to do is identify expenses:

Cost of operation including space overhead, administrative overhead, facilities rental and maintenance, benefits if any for administration, competitive payouts, insurance costs, etc, etc ...

Conway

Last edited by Conway on Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... advertising, equipment, officials, transportation, exotic dancers... Oh wait, that's the XFL, not T&F... Embarassed

There are already a few regional summer circuits that would provide a decent success model to follow. Most notable is the Can-Am circuit in the NE. There's also a "smaller" (bigger meets, but less known to be connected) OR/WA/Canada circuit. The trick would be to build such a circuit that covered most of N. America and was more than just a bunch of overnight stand events. Build toward a regional/national "open championship" or something.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly ... Something like a cross between what you listed and say the Junior Olympics ... Or a North American version of the Grand Prix ... Instead of a bund of sub 10.00 guys you end up with a bunch of sub 10.30 guys for example ... I could even see the possibility of some of the lesser countries sending their athletes for the competitive opportunities ...

You run US athlete only clinics in conjunction with the meets ... And that is where the coaches come in ... And onw that I think of it you could run the championship meet with regional teams !!! You represent your area ... Northwest, Northeast, South, Southeast, California, Texas, Midwest, North, Southwest ... Or something that works .. That allows for relay teams, and the fun of a team score !!! And while outsiders can participate in the circuit, they are not allowed in the championhsip ...

I see the whole thing as an opportunity to do some real development in this ocuntry AND provide competiton for the slightly less than elite athlete during the same time frame .. It would also allow the elite athlte to "take a break" when necessary and still be able to compete ... Can you imagine having a meet in Eugene, or Berkeley, or Raleigh, and having Suzy Favor show up or Jon Drummonod show up to get in a tune up race !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you imagine having a meet in Eugene, or Berkeley, or Raleigh, and having Suzy Favor show up or Jon Drummonod show up to get in a tune up race !!!

Actually, I can. Some of those Eugene summer all-comers meets drew impressive crowds ~5 years ago! We're talking Olympians and National Record holders...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of coarse don't forget the golden spike indoor circut. Which I think can turn into a success since it's a nice niche. A place where Americans can do well compaired to the rest of the world. (Since they either aren't running yet or are not emphasising indoor at all.) And with meets across the country I think it can be built into a nice Americircut test kit. Where meet directors and sponsors can get together and see how successful they can be. I know in an ideal world we'd all love for a top notch outdoor circut here. But idoor the weather is always nice, Joe Sportsfan hardly knows the difference between indoor and outdoor, and your hard core track fans are generally so starved for meets stateside that they'd jump at the chance to go to a quaility indoor meet. Plus with the shorter tracks it makes the races more exciting and the athletes look faster. So as far as an American track circut that might be a nice place to start.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem with indoor is you're pretty m uch relegated to the East Coast .... Few facilities elsewhere... An outdoor cicuit can work ... What is nice is that average Joe doesn't know the difference between a 10.19 and a 9.89 !!! The high quality will be less important than good ole fashioned competition ..

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a few desecent facilites in the mid west (the Duvany Center in Lincoln played host to a golden spike meet this winter) and I would imagine that there have to be some nice indoor facilites at some of those big PAC-10 schools. All in all I would think that you would probably miss southern Cal (who needs indoor tracks down there) but the pacific northwest I would think should have a couple of potential host sites. Heck I was in Vermillion SD this year for a X-C meet and they have a dome with a 200 meter track that could hold a nice indoor meet. There have to be enough university indoor track facilites that are nice enough to host 15 or more quaility indoor meets which is of coarse way more than would be needed.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two indoor facilities I know of in the Northwest are Seattle (UW) and Boise (U of Idaho). Pretty slim pickings...

A major problem with an indoor circuit is that you pretty much have to decide if you're happy with a B-level season before participating. What I mean is, only those athletes who have little to no chance of jumping into the European circuit will waste their time with indoor, so that doesn't really accomplish the goal Conway is getting at of having a fall-back developmental league for those who don't quite make the grade (but train for it just in case). If an athlete who is right on the bubble decides to run an indoor season, they most likely will be toast come summer...

Another problem is that few athletes run an entire indoor season, so you're left with a difficult sport to market to sponsors and fans.

However, the Golden Spike Tour isn't just indoor, so the idea could still hold water as a combo starting point. The adidas (Portland) and Stanford meets are typically part of the tour and are well received. Just needs to be built on...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have something that doesn't mirrow the collegiate season as most of the athletes will be either collegians or recently post collegians ... The idea being to work on developing them for the next level of competition ... Part of that means being able to train for and be prepared for the European season .... Therefore you emulate it as much as possible ...

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the topic of great coaches I got the opertunity to speak with one today. Duane Vandenbuashe, the coach at Western State, who's coached more athletes that were All Americans than I've coached who've broken 7 minutes for the mile (no really Surprised ). He gave me some very good advice, as he put it old coach to young coach. Make sure your runners are healthy not just injury wise but that they don't have colds, make sure they're well rested both in terms of running and sleep. Going into a big race you really want to keep your team healthy. It sounds good to me and coming from a man who's coached 5 national champion cross country teams in the last three years, I think I'll take it. Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of coarse that advice is more a detail than anything, if half his team got mono my ladies would still not be able to put more than one runner in their top five. But hey no matter who you are if your healthy you always seem to run better. So I guess it's OJ and chicken soup for the next three and a half weeks Wink
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at Oregon State in '68, Berny Wagner wouldn't even let us into the locker rooms unless our flu shots were up to date, and his rule of thumb on hair length was that it had to be dry before you left the facility.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: