Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Rain Gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Rain Gear? Reply with quote

Any recomendations for rain gear?

I'm okay with just tossing on some shorts and a tank for my shorter rain runs (~5mi) - but I think I'd like to waterproof myself up for the long runs. I got REALLY cold on my last rainy long run. It was more the wind than the wet that got me.

So is there anything that will keep me dry? How about just warm? I'll settle for something that will keep me warm.

Thanks!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a longtime fan of SportHill, personally. I also have some association with BOA, so I have to plug them on occasion. Smile I don't really believe in the whole waterproofing athletic wear thing. For starters, the only thing truly waterproof is a garbage bag... Unless you don't sweat at all, I think you'll find most moisture management approaches leave you feeling wetter than if you just let the rain in, and a good fabric will do just fine at warming up the moisture before it reaches your skin.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: Polypro, or in this case fleece. Fleece is hydrophobic, that is it sheds water, while still breathing. Check out Mountain Hardware. I use only their stuff for running and Search and Rescue, in the case of S&R, my life depends on my gear! Pricey, but good. I am well versed on rain and cold weather gear..so feel free to ask! Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't overheat quickly running in fleece? It would have to be well below freezing for me to make it more than a mile or two without feeling like I was in a sauna... That and the anti-wind break effect would pose problems for me.

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, it depends on the fleece. There is wind stopper, and non wind stopper, different weights, for either moisture control, or heat retention. Polypro is the same way. I use a very thin EMS thermal underwear in cold weather. Also my fleece jacket has pit zips that let me control interior temp. It can get a bit complicated, and it depends on the person, run time, and outside temp and conditions. I used to equip each person as an individual. Right now I use an Asics nylon runners wind breaker as well. Its a nice orange with reflective material Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you're running in orange gear, it's all good in my book! Thumbs Up

Dan (who owns a pair of orange Levis)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: