Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Meridian Resistance Training Shoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Meridian Resistance Training Shoes Reply with quote

Anyone know if these shoes help with improving sprints ?Someone asked me and I've never heard of them.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them, either. What do they look like?

If you want resistance training shoes, just wear something really heavy... Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it happen to be those shoes with the huge sole platform that sticks out all over, making you work your calves and ankles??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen those called Strength Shoes, unless maybe Meridian is the maker?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jeffh
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link that describes the shoe:

http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_129stuff.html

Jeff
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, those look like an achilles strain waiting to happen...

Paul, what do you think about taking muscle mag reviews at face value? There always seems to be so much hyperbole and obviously made up entertainment aspects that I never find them terribly convincing.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I've been familiar with Testosterone.net for quite awhile. I think this site is for people who plan on spending 30 hours a week in the gym!! Entertainment aspects aside, these people really have the lingo down, but if the results were like they said, you wouldn't be able to log onto their site, the traffic would be so heavy. You almost have to have a pharmaceutical background to dig through the hype, which makes it even more impenetrable. When the guy testing the shoes says he knocked a couple of tenths off his 40y time, what does that mean?? He was timing himself through the run, not exactly scientific.

These 2 links, though, are interesting. Pick and choose the ones that pique your interest.

http://www.testosterone.net/forum/train.html

http://www.testosterone.net/articles/179alt.html

...and this on albuterol (remember Kim Collins)

Quote:

Re: maintaining gains
outlaw to rainbow & janine 2002-03-19 19:56:05
Doug Kalman dicussed albuterol in his column a few months ago in Kalman's article he sited a study where one group of athletes were given albuterol the other group clen. The albuterol group lost more fat, gained more LBM and increased strength more so than the clen group. The article got me interested I ran 16mg ED for a month (post cycle) and was very pleased with my rention of gains I also saw some fat loss. Check out the article. www.testosterone.net/articles/179alt2.html

You should at 190 and 5% bodyfat when I see you on Oct 5th!! Wink Thumbs Up

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egads, information overload! Sounds like albuterol should be recommended for daily ingestion in place of red wine for remaining healthy...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does shed some light, though, on why 90% of the runners in Eugene are "asthmatics".
But you can see the misinfo in some of these statements:
1) Albuterol is an asthmatic "rescue" drug to be used if your bronchial passages literally close up. It can cause heart palpations if overused.
2) Albuterol is on the banned substance list!!
Quote:
Egads, information overload!

And I haven't even sent you the 27 page soy article yet!! Wink With 70 odd references!! Rolling Eyes Surprised

Albuterol, you saw it here first on Run-Down!! Catchy phrase, no??

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what to make of #1, but #2 certainly smelled fishy.

Quote:
Does shed some light, though, on why 90% of the runners in Eugene are "asthmatics".

And triathletes. I think the number was 93% of pro triathletes back around 2000 were registered asthmatics. Of course, Eugene does have more than its share of legitimate allergy cases, as you're well aware personally, but 90% is a wee bit above the average...

Hmm, maybe we could work with that catch phrase... Glue, you sniffed it first on Run-Down! Now you know where the rotating home page slogan, Run-Down - The Performance Enhanced Running Encylopedia, came from. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe I actually shipped off a email to Douglas Kalman who wrote that pharmacy column on testosterone.net. He answered me with some benign info about informing the powers to be...etc.

I'm sending it to you just for your Saturday grin. You can delete it after you see it. I think it serves as an example of how some of these people can't back up the statements they have made, but never go as far as a retraction.

Quote:
Run-Down - The Performance Enhanced Running Encylopedia,

Good one!! This works for me!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: