2002 XC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mel Rosen came with his squad from Auburn U. Wasn't he the 1992 Olympics coach??

Correct. I was introduced to him and chatted with him off and on throughout the day. Very friendly and unassuming fellow.

There certainly was a lot of throwing up yesterday... I even saw one of the Willamette girls catch her own vomit and keep running through the chute all in one motion! Very considerate of her to not vomit on the person in front of her or impede the people behind...

The winner's pace would be 14:30 for 5k, so he was indeed coming in fast!

Quote:
I'm hooked, though. I could do this at least 2-3 times a month.

What are you doing on the 19th? Wink

I was actually "done" by the time the awards ceremony was rolling (we managed to stay on top of results almost immediately after each race), but just as we were packing up to go, several coaches came up and told us there was a problem with the results from the 4th race. Turned out 2 of the spindles (that hold the bib numbers for the finish order) had been brought up in the wrong order and I entered them that way, so I had to go back and correct that. I think I left at 3pm, which wasn't too bad (especially compared to last year's 7+ hour "bonus coverage"). I noticed after posting the results on the web that there's still something funny with the individual lists after the correction. The scoring is right, but the team place next to the name of the athletes that were moved around didn't get properly updated. I'll have to get back over to the track to try and fix that from the database...

Quote:
Even though it's 40 miles away, it's a straight freeway shot.

Now Paul knows my secret. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Even though it's 40 miles away, it's a straight freeway shot."

Oh, did I neglect to mention that's about a 25 minute drive for Dan!! Surprised

I won't be available on the 19th. Seems I have a Willamette 4-way to attend!! Wink :supergrin:

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said (on both counts). Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1968 I was giving serious consideration to attending Chico State. I even went down there with a friend to check out the college. I ended up staying closer to home, and always wondered what would have happened if I had gone. Even back then they had a decent track program.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
You wouldn't want to work the finish line in your best clothes and shoes. At least a dozen men and women were spewing at the finish and another dozen were drooling!!

It's funny you mention that, because an incident like that actually was the last straw in my decision to get back into coaching. The year in between my college graduation and taking the job here in NE, I was personal training in Albuquerque. NMHU was hosting our conference championships and coachd asked me to come down and help with the meet. I was working in the chute, having a great time. As the runners started coming in they were doing the normal altitude distance race reching, gaging, and so on. When a runner from Ft. Hays came staggering across the line barely able to keep his feet. I caught him and he hurled all over my shoes. (Joining the breakfast club in the process). After I helped him through the chute, I just thought. This is f^%@ing awesome, I have to get back into it. One year later I'm the coach at the host institute for that same race! Funny how a little vomit can change someones life Exclamation
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sideline to the Willamette Inv, Dan was forced against his will to sit through my "15 seconds of fame" Wide World of Sports video. Then it was on to a real sport!! Surprised Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that story, DG!! Thumbs Up Spew Fest as a Coaching Recruitment Mechanism.
How's this for the real story: Coachd, trying to talk you into coaching because he knows that's where your real future lies, in a final desperate attempt, pays the Ft Hays runner to barf all over you at the finish, pushing you over the edge to get back into the sport. Film at 11!! :supergrin:

Breakfast Club II
Tom Cruise as coachd, Vin Diesel as DG, Matt Damon as the Ft Hays runner. Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes Surprised

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a MIGHTY impressive 15 seconds it was!!

Dan

p.s. Congratulations on your All-Star selection. Smile
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, saving my "significant" all star posts for last. Making a real contribution, here!! Confused Wink
thanks Embarassed

" Surprised "
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/cu_cross_country/article/0,1713,BDC_2450_1462106,00.html

Torres breaks Goucher's course record!! Jon Severy - Severy's brother from Running With the Buffaloes??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a rather large margin of victory. Surprised

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Severy is the younger brother of Chris Severy.

I think Payton Batiler might be related to Adam Batiler from Running with the Buff's. But his bio page is blank on the CU website, and he graduated for a different high school. But from the pictures on his Peyton's bio page and of Adam in the book they look like they could be related.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Paul Congrads on becoming an All-Star, that's a pretty exclusive group, Dan, Conway, Micah Ward, and your truely being the only other 500+ memebers. When this website is the most popular website on the planet (which in my estimation should be some time next tuesday) they'll be talking about you as one of the greatest Run-Down posters of all time!!!! Cool
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta get busy. At this rate Paul will pass me before Thanksgiving. Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone is well aware by now, Paul discovered the secret to becoming a bonafide Run-Down all-star -- become truly run-down through injury and have nothing better to do with his time than post up a storm. Thus, Micah's latest injury is really just a ploy to respond to Paul's challenge! Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: