Distance Den
2002 XC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize South Dakota State was in your region.

Paul, taking XC course measurement inaccuracies into account, 8k is, for all intents and purposes, 5 miles. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of mile split conversions, especially for guys running 25:00 or thereabouts. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized it was less than 50 yds short of 5 miles. I was thinking more in terms of 1000m splits. And 1000m is a popular interval workout for many. Which brings us back to wheel plus cones = pain!! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured South Dakota State was in DG's region since his team's first meet was at USD. But that is quite a trip for SDS. They must have some kind of budget!!
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're right on the border of being a D1 school (so is USD, UND and NDSU) so they've got so cash. And this year it looks like they've got some runners too.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, use mile talk in a metric race to convert back to meters... Confused

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be the most efficent way of making a point, but some times it makes the most sense.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be in huge demand as an expeditor during the 80's in both Powerlifting and Olympic Lifting because I could so readily converse back and forth between kilos and pounds. I'd like to get that way in running, and the field events, too. Not an easy chore!

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would certainly be a rare commodity if you could pull that off.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rare commodity

I've been referred to something similar to this but not always in a positive vein. Surprised Twisted Evil

I was initially disappointed in seeing how Lewis and Clark did, but it seems Fix must have split his charges into 2 teams. Kyle bettered his time by 6 secs from last year. Thumbs Up

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L&C is presumably in a heavy re-building mode, having graduated nearly everyone from last year's team which graduated much of the previous year's team... If UPS doesn't keep their top 3 (Maclean, Grabner, and Floweree) healthy and running, Whitworth might have a shot at #2 in conference.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, getting ready to head down to the Willamette Invitational. 1150+ runners and its been raining all week. It just doesn't get better than this, does it??!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up :supergrin:

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to talk to Paul after the meet was over, so I'm curious what your overall impression was of the event? You all would have enjoyed seeing him running around bug-eyed like a kid in a candy shop! If he got any more excited, he probably would have started measuring the course... Smile Considering the men's winning 8k time of 23:13, that may actually have been a good idea!

DG, I imagine you'll appreciate this: The Willamette (DIII) men scored 97 points in the DII/DIII/NAIA/JC race, with Chico State (8th ranked in DII) winning with 47. Willamette's #1 guy had one of those crash and burn type days, finishing about 30-35 spots further back than normal as #5 man. Taking that into account, that puts the team arguably within 20 points of Chico State, which would probably be a very compelling dual meet. Looks like that would play out:

1 W
2 W
3 C
4 C
5 C
6 C
7 C *
8 W *
9 W
10 W

C = 25
W = 30

* Likely would switch, making it 26-29 in favor of Chico State, assuming they ran all their guns... Impressive pack abilities on their part.

Full results located at:

http://run-down.com/bearcats/results/

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty nice race. Chico is an interesting school and team. When I was a Sr at NMHU we got to hang out with the guys from Chico after the national championship race. I believe they were fifth that year. Really cool guys, and from what they told us they have almost no scholarship money. But it doesn't keep them from having good teams year in and year out. On a side note, don't ever try to party with Chico unless you're serious about it. Those fellows could drink like nobodies business. Just about drank me under the table, of coarse that's what I get for partying with guys that pack a beer bong for their trip to the national X-C championships. :supergrin:
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's discription of me was pretty accurate. I had a splendid time. Cool I ran around a lot watching the runners, and worked the finish line right at the finish switching the shutes back and forth. In between races I caught up with Dan several times. And speaking of the breakfast club!! You wouldn't want to work the finish line in your best clothes and shoes. At least a dozen men and women were spewing at the finish and another dozen were drooling!! Surprised Embarassed

Had the opportunity to chat with the Lewis and Clark coach who I went to high school with.

Mel Rosen came with his squad from Auburn U. Wasn't he the 1992 Olympics coach??

Stayed for the awards ceremony and then headed for home. I knew Dan was going to be very busy in the immediate hours after the race. I had also been up for 25 straight hours. I'm hooked, though. I could do this at least 2-3 times a month.

And I could see training at Willamette once in awhile on a weekend. Even though it's 40 miles away, it's a straight freeway shot. That wood chip packed trail surface drains well. And the track is first rate.
Thumbs Up
Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight runners on the men's side broke the old course record!! When you are on the track right at the finish line, those guys (and gals!!) are not jogging in toward you, that's for sure!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: