Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Tim Montgomery Walks The Walk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, your right!! Very Happy Maybe we'd get lucky, though, and see it as a midseason sitcom replacement!! Surprised
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you mean that month in the middle of the summer where the IAAF forgets they have a sport to run?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not gonna take that long !!!!!

http://www.sportsserver.com/track_field/story/541261p-4278780c.html
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find his talk of all the soreness and swelling a bit odd, especially considering our talk of how light he runs... Was that track incredibly hard, or is Tim just being a wuss? Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is already feeling the pressure ... Article leading up to that said how much the Cup was focusing on his record in thier pormotions ... And apparently the IAAF was putting pressure on him to appear (he originally said right after the record he was through for the year then came back and said he would go!) ... It's only going ot get worse ... The demands on his time are going ot increase ... Heavy lies the head that wears the crown !!! Wink

Here is the BBC's assessment of the sprinting scene :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/2261322.stm
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That very well could be a good assessment...

One thing I don't like from that article:

Quote:
But he needs to reproduce it every time he steps on the track.

I think this overstates the matter. Many, if not most, would consider Donovan Bailey among the best 100m men ever (Double Olympic Gold, WC Gold and Silver, WR), yet he hardly produced every time out on the track. He produced when it mattered most, and that is what Tim needs to do. Greene is one of the few that produced every time out, so maybe that's just a case of the author having a short memory?

Quote:
This year [Maurice] says he began training late because of ... a dispute with his shoe sponsors.

Told ya it was the shoes. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
That very well could be a good assessment...

One thing I don't like from that article:

Quote:
But he needs to reproduce it every time he steps on the track.

I think this overstates the matter. Many, if not most, would consider Donovan Bailey among the best 100m men ever (Double Olympic Gold, WC Gold and Silver, WR), yet he hardly produced every time out on the track. He produced when it mattered most, and that is what Tim needs to do. Greene is one of the few that produced every time out, so maybe that's just a case of the author having a short memory?
Dan

Actually I agree with the article ... The difference with Tim and Donovan is that Donovan was Canadian and Tim is American ... By that I mean that Canadians typically compete less frequently outside of home ... Therefore you can run 10.25 and be just fine in a large majority of races ... Even at their national champsionships 10.15 works fine ...

As an American Tim needs to be ready to break 10.00 almost every time out ... Otherwise you're losing race and when you are #1 you can't lose too many races ... Ask Mo ... If you're #2 and lsoing races its ok ... Its not ok if you're #1 ... Nature of the beast ... And its that way on every level ... The top guy can't lose ...

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have always appreciated since being here are the links provided in our dicussions. Its hard to beat SportsServer and bbc.uk for Track and Field coverage. The bbc assessment on the sprints is something you can't find in the US, not that I've seen, anyway. By the way, we've been lamenting the demise of the 200m lately, and now with all the excitement over the 100m, that race is all but forgotten. Sad

What did you guys think of this story?? http://www.sportsserver.com/track_field/story/536892p-4247489c.html
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seen it before .. I think he was fishing ... Letting MLF know he would be welcomed if he chose to leave ... I think John knows that he needs to start to bring on some new talent .. Not that his old talent is through yet ... But knowing that they will not last forever !!!

conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find his talk of all the soreness and swelling a bit odd, especially considering our talk of how light he runs... Was that track incredibly hard, or is Tim just being a wuss?

Even if we consider TM light on his feet, you know from reading Francis what the catastrophic effects on your body can be from exercising that kind of force.

...and how about the media's new term Fly-Mo. Give me a break!! Surprised Rolling Eyes Confused :t-: :t-:
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to figure out what the joke is in "Fly-Mo" and I'm stumped...

Quote:
you know from reading Francis what the catastrophic effects on your body can be from exercising that kind of force.

True, but it's not like he hasn't exerted those kinds of forces before. He's run pretty close to that speed previously, and he should be well rested from all those light 3 workout weeks. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting to see if you would pick up on that. But assuming he tapered well for the GP Final, he would be giving up some of his adaptation to the general pounding that daily training inures one to, for hopes of an increased performance, something he obviously obtained.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think enough time passed between the end of the "regular" season and the GP final for any de-training to take place in that sense.

As for the time necessary to recover from such high effort, I think Francis was referring more to central nervous system fatigue, whereas Tim is talking about joints being swollen (and tight hamstrings). Those sound like two completely different things. If I didn't know any better, I would think Tim is describing having just run a marathon on the road in Marion's spikes...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could imply that he's broken new ground concerning effort. Which may not say much to how much improvement we can expect next year.

Sore and swollen ankles, knees, joints?? Surprised Hmmm, maybe I better quit while I'm ahead, here. Rolling Eyes Confused Surprised Exclamation
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Dan here ... The difference between this race and his previous pr is less than the distance between he and Chambers in this race ... We're not talking about MAJOR differences in effort here ... Moreso about a tremendous amount of luck !!! And wait til you read my other post !!!

When Mo ran 9.79 he did it in the middle of the season and continued to compete through the season !!!!

Conway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: