Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Tim Montgomery Walks The Walk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us to the obvious and un-pc question ... will Maurice drop the bomb on Tim next year? Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that Tim is making a bad move by talking about Mo. For two reasons (and this goes for anyone talking trash not just Timmy).

First you give your opponent more motivation. And in my experience with just about anything motivation is as important as talent, and when you have a person as talented as the now former world record holder, it probably isn't real brite to go motivating him unless you like to get your tale kicked. And the other reason is that if you talk trash and loose you are a jerk who let his mouth write checks his body couldn't cash. Even if you win you still end up looking like a cocky jerk. Although I will conciede that this sport might be better off if it has more personality, even if some of them are cocky jerks.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that next year see' the Beamonizing of the 100 !!! We currently have the following Beamonized events:

LJ - 29'4.5"
PV - 20'2"
200 - 19.32
TJ - 60'
800 - 1:41.11
HJ - 8'

Next year the 100 is going to follow at 9.69 !!!! 4 possibly 5 great talents - Greene, Montgomery, Boldon, Fredericks, Chambers ... At some point at least 3 - possibly all - will line up with good conditions ... And ALL will have something to prove ...

Greene - That he is STILL the man ...
Montgomery - That he can BE the man ...
Boldon & Fredericks - That they still belong ...
Chambers - That he IS for real ...

Testoterone will be running higher than the Pikes Peak run !!!! This race will be the first where an individual runs sub 9.80 and loses AND the first where at least one or more indivduals run sub 9.90 and finish worse than 2nd !!! It COULD go something like this:

1. 9.69 Greene
2. 9.75 Montomery
3. 9.84 Chambers
4. 9.86 Boldon
5. 9.87 Fredericks

Exclamation Thumbs Up Exclamation Thumbs Up

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite a bold prediction!

DG, I'm not terribly bothered by Tim's trash talking. In the sprints, that is simply how things are done. The mistake Tim has made is directing his comments toward the media. Some well chosen trash talking can also rattle opponents, not just inspire and motivate them. I don't see Mo as the type to get rattled, but I also didn't see him as the type to lose half his races in a year...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a difference between "trash talking" and talking trash ... As in it is one thing to "talk amongst yourselves", another to do it in the media ... Therein lies the important difference ...

Mo has always been gracious in the media ... One thing that has separated him from many other champions including the likes of Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson ...

And lest anyone forget, up until that race Tim looked like a jerk - making statements he couldn't back up ... And as I keep saying, one race proves nothing ... Tim was 0 - 13 against Mo coming into this season, and I believe their either split 2-2 or Tim was ahead 3-2 - this in Mo's worst season in 6 years !!! Tim has little to talk about yet ...

As for my "prediction" (note I said "could" happen) I'm looking at what I think each is capable of, and what they could bring out in each other ... Mo is still young and I think he is allowed to have a down season ... The problem is he is a victim of his own success ... He has had a run like NO ONE in history has ever had (not Bob Hayes, not Ben Johnson, not Carl Lewis, no one) and the world has come to take it for granted ... Including I believe Mo ... Now having a problem is NOT a bad thing ... Not recognizing you do IS ... I believe Mo recognizes it and therefore will correct it ... On the other hand I don't think Tim recognizes he has one ... I think Marion does .. The question is how much of an infuence will she ultimately have as we are talking personaity traits here ... Wink

I will bet at this stage on Mo ... Quite frankly if you really want the truth I have more faith in Chambers than Montgomery ... His head is screwed on better it seems ... But Tim just has sooo much talent ...

Oh on that note .... I will say that I do NOT believe his 3 day a week training non sense ... His coach at Norfolk State was Steve Riddick and Steve was not a 3 day a week athlete !!! Nor was/is Brian Lewis who was a teammate of Tim's at Norfolk !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand I don't think Tim recognizes he has one ... I think Marion does .. The question is how much of an infuence will she ultimately have as we are talking personaity traits here ...

Ironically, we've been talking for years about the technical problems Marion has, and it has remained to be seen if she acknowledges and corrects many of them...

Quote:
I will say that I do NOT believe his 3 day a week training non sense ...

I think much of what Tim says is utter nonsense. I think I commented somewhere that he's generally well spoken but completely non-coherent.

I honestly don't know what to make of Tim from here on out. I knew after his Oslo run last year that he's "as good" as anyone out there, and he has showed decent longevity in the sport already, but he seems very mentally unstable... How he handles the pressures early next season should tell us a lot.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Some well chosen trash talking can also rattle opponents, not just inspire and motivate them. I don't see Mo as the type to get rattled, but I also didn't see him as the type to lose half his races in a year...

Dan

I see your point about trash talking possibly rattling an opponent. The problem is that (and this is a generallization) trash talking that rattles someone usually happens fairly close to the event. A few weeks at the earliest. If Timmy was calling out "slow Mo" at the end of indoor or very early on in the European season I could see it possibly getting to Mo, but this far out all that it does is give more fuel to Mo's fire.

Trash talk and mind games are all about timing and Timmy has mis timed his big mouth. My prediction, 9.78 will not be the world record in the 100m this time next year. And unless Timmy gets a good bit faster I think Mo is going to kick his rear to the tune of about a 9.74.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I honestly don't know what to make of Tim from here on out. I knew after his Oslo run last year that he's "as good" as anyone out there, and he has showed decent longevity in the sport already, but he seems very mentally unstable... How he handles the pressures early next season should tell us a lot.

Dan

Agreed ... If he comes out and has some early success, he could be tough to beat ... On the other hand if for some reason he meets Mo or Dwain or Jon - someone of note - and loses big, then he will be in for a long season ...

One thing that a lot of people do not realize is that reigning WR holders have not done well traditionally ... Going backwards:

Mo was dominant before and after ...

Donovan could buy a win after the 96 season ... Did get 97 silver behind Mo, but that was about it for him ..

Leroy ran fast, broke records, couldn't buy a big race ...

Carl was toast after Tokyo ... Couldn't make the Olympic team the following year ('92) ... Didn't win any big Euros ... Failed to make team again in '96 .. Couldn't break 10.00

Ben was busted .. Enough said ...

Calvin couldn't buy a gold medal at 100 in anything major .. Had a few big Euro wins ... But did garner gold in 2 Worlds in the 200 !!!

Jim Hines went off to play football ... Or should I say try to play ...

Bob Hayes went off to play football ...

And if we want to talk hand timing, no one clocking 9.9h garnered Olympic gold !!!! Although Steve Williams did win the first World Cup gold at 100 !!!

So holding the 100 record is not all it is cracked up to be when it comes to performance in major events !!!!

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we will see any major breakthrough (sub 9.70) next year. I also think Greene has a lot of physical problems to overcome. His body may have given him everything it has to give. I do think we could be in for a lot of close 9.8 races with more consistency from more people. Can you imagine having to run sub 9.9 just to qualify for the finals?? Or running 9.85 in a final and ending up 6th??

Paul
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good article on SportsServer, Conway. I couldn't believe his last paragraph!! I'll tell ya, if Marion starts to feel like this is distracting her from her training, Tim's gonna be dropped like lead balloon!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is that like a lead shot? Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like that bomb Mo is gonna drop on him ... Wink

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lead shot bomb launched with the intensity of Adam Nelson!! Surprised Very Happy
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case, we would go a full season without seeing it on TV...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: