Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Tim Montgomery Walks The Walk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really was perfect...

.104 reaction
2.0 wind
Competition: vs Chambers for World #1 spot
Confidence: sub 10 into 1.3 wind to win in Zurich

Mo's 9.79 came with a 0.1 wind, his 9.80 with a 0.2 and his 9.82 into a 0.2 wind (plus injury!). With the conditiona TM had in Paris, Mo at his best would have run 9.73 or so by now. Mo knows he can run faster...does Tim? Next year could be very exciting indeed.

After the race the BBC got a quick interview with Mo but they cut him short when Tim became available for interview! He will have hated that more than losing the record. John Smith has often talked about Mo's will to win. No matter what he says, this year showed him to be a little complacent - he thought he could win at 95%, but he can't. Mo's training this winter is going to be terrifying.

BTW, Madrid is at 640m altitude...good for fast times.

Lastly, it was great to see that Chambers was really upset after the race because he lost...even though he equalled Christie's Euro record. 9.87 is a big breakthrough yet the competitor in him wanted to win. I like to see that. There are three men to watch next year (oh, and Collins, Williams, MLF.....!).

Justin
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Mo's 9.79 is intrinsically superior - but didn't want to say that for fear of taking away from Tim's record ... But hadn't ven bothered to look at his 9.80 or 9.82 ...

Either way, Tim got the record ... But having run a perfect race to do it the question is what happens next ... I agree about Mo - that he thought he could still dominate at 95% ... I almost think he went home and began working out towards next year, at the break ... Because he came back very sluggish (9.89 before, couldn't get under 10.05 after) .... But this was definitely a transition year for both Tim and Dwain ...

Bottom line is the event has been rejuvenized !!!! I love how consistent Mo has been and hope he returns to that next season (will lbet that he will) ... But now he has competition !!!! And with MLF looking to be the equal of Dwain til injury, and Gatlin moving to the Graham camp with Tim, I think this will be a short lived record ... Not saying who will get it, but the competition will be there to push that down some more !!!

Finally, it seems to me that what was most important in the record was Dwain and his ability to go 9.87 ... In Mo's race he had Ato at 9.86 ... And in Mo's 9.80 and 9.82 he 2nd placers at 9.84 and 9.85 .... So it appears that if you can get more than one person at mid 9.8x that a record run is possible ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article on Montgomery:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2002-09-16-cover-montgomery_x.htm

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great meet on TV. That was a good article, but 3/4 of it belonged in the society section.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 3/4 is that? I liked the parts describing the influence Marion has had on Tim. I had noticed much less yapping from Tim the second half of the season. I didn't know if that was just people getting tired of covering it or if he was actually learning to pipe down a bit...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about TM refocusing on his own running vs what someone else is doing, and Marion seems to have been a major influence on that. That, and his statement that she is rich, but trains like she's poor says a lot about her work ethic, another positive thing that is rubbing off on him. So we may see some improvement, yet, in the future.

But when TM says he wants to be the man in this relationship and she says then you know what you have to do!! Give me a break!! I was laughing so hard, I thought I had just done a thousand situps!! Surprised Wink
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
But when TM says he wants to be the man in this relationship and she says then you know what you have to do!! Give me a break!! I was laughing so hard, I thought I had just done a thousand situps!! Surprised Wink

That made me laugh too ... Frankly I was wondering if either one of them knew what he needed to do ... And while he has the illusion of being the man, it would seem from this (and other) story that she is the one running this show ...

Conway
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
pnb470 wrote:

That made me laugh too ... Frankly I was wondering if either one of them knew what he needed to do ... And while he has the illusion of being the man, it would seem from this (and other) story that she is the one running this show ...

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does seem true. And you wonder how long a relationship can last if both parties become overly assertive. One thing about competing on such a high level is that you have to be totally self absorbed. It helps, I suppose, that they compete in literally the same event. But I don't see Marion taking a back seat to anyone. She even did most of the talking at TM's post race interview!!

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She even did most of the talking at TM's post race interview!!

I consider that a good thing... Tim is fairly well spoken, but rarely coherent.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just picture the American Express commercials, now, the two of them blasting across Europe on their honeymoon, but I'm getting quite ahead of myself!!
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sportsserver.com/track_field/story/539935p-4268918c.html

Apparently Tim has learned little ... And I would say he still suffers from a severe inferiority complex ... Should this attitude remain he is very vulnerable !!!!

Conway

Last edited by Conway on Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim says some pretty silly stuff, but other than the last paragraph of that article, I thought it was mostly rehashed quotes and nothing new that would reflect on his prior propensity for sticking both feet (plus Marion's spikes) in his mouth...

Quote:
And he's got plenty of new trash talk ready for Greene, now dubbed by British newspapers as "Slow-Mo."

I did like that line, though. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Tim's interview after the race with Carol Lewis ... And Tim stillhas that tone about him ... Reminds me of Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis ... Ben never got over Carl ... Always felt inferior ... Always felt overshadowed ... And ultimately THAT is what cost Ben !!!

And I think ultimately the same is going to play out in the Tim v Mo situation ... Mo will come back and Tim will continue to self destruct ... A single fast race does not make a career ... Tim still has a ways to go ... I hope he learns to not believe the hype ... I actually want him to do well as it will do the event well ... But what he doesn't realize is that he has awakened a sleeping giant !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what he doesn't realize is that he has awakened a sleeping giant !!!

A la the line from Pearl Harbor... Neutral

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: