Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Marathon Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronan Murphy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Marathon Training Reply with quote

Hello, I'm the identical twin of the oddly named "Anselm" Murphy and I have recently started doing 2 runs a day, one 1.7 mile and one 1 mile because I bet him I could get my 1500 time down to <5.10 ( because up until now I had never done any running) in 6 weeks (it being 6.00 at the time the bet was made). Ive still got 3 weeks left but it has made me interested in running and Ive decided I might want to do the marathon.
However , I dont want a crap time, I want 3.5 hours so how hard will this be to achieve. Running this pace on a 1.7 mile run seems really lame so given that I have never run further than 1.7 miles and my brother assures me that it gets REALLY hard how feasible is it that I could get 3.5 hours without having to train too hard? (ie 5 runs of whatever, maybe 5 miles , a week) + some longer stuff nearer the time (April)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh, I can see this getting really hard to follow... Question, why the fake email address?

I'll leave it to the distance guys to give more specifics regarding your question, but I'll quickly point out that I consider it foolish to even think about what you can run a marathon in if you haven't experienced a few 15-20 mile runs. It's a waste of time to try to extrapolate a <2 mile run to a pace for 26.2 miles. Like I always say, the best way to predict what you can run something in is to just go out and do it! In your case, that means building up to a level of mileage that indicates you can run the full distance, then you'll have a pretty good predictor.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ronan Murphy
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My e mail is fake because my brother has already used my e- mail address and it wouldnt take it twice.
Yes, I should do longer distance stuff so Ill do 5 miles or something or see how far I can get in an hour and then try to extrapolate from that.
By the way, how hard is a 3.5 hour marathon time, should that be attainable?
Ronan Murphy
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: marathon training Reply with quote

I decided to run for an hour and see how far I got. I managed just about 8 miles. I wasn't too out of breath and my legs didn't hurt that much but when you put it all together and add the BOREDOM it was quite hard.
Anyway, if I do a 5 mile run about 5 times a week then would a 3.5 hour marathon seem feasible given that ive got a long time to train for it?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty solid pace to already be running for an hour.

As to your question, I have already stated numerous times throughout the forums what I think about training for a specific distance, so I will not play the broken record routine here...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: