Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Justin Gatlin goes pro

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Justin Gatlin goes pro Reply with quote

http://utsports.ocsn.com/sports/m-track/spec-rel/090502aaa.html

And irony of ironies, his head coach's name is Webb. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wasn't totally unexpected ... I wish the article had talked more about his plans .. As in who he signed with; who is going ot coach him; etc ... I think it is sad that young track and field athletes have to make this kind of decision ... There should be no reason they could not compete as a "professional" and retain collegiate eligibility as there is NO difference between the two (aside from earning money) ...

I don't even want to get into the hypocrsy of the NCAA and its rules ... Unless of course others do !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't even want to get into the hypocrsy of the NCAA and its rules ... Unless of course others do !!!

I'm always up for a good rant...

I've got mixed feelings with regards to Gatlin. On one hand, it will be great to see what he can do against the pros. On the other hand, I would have loved to see him go for the sprint double 4 straight years and make history in spectacular fashion. Too bad he can't do both... At least we know he'll be eligible for Fantasy T&F next year. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Gatlin ... He was something special and I think he had a chance ot do something great in college ... But on the other hand I think he has the potential to do something special on the world scene ... The kid is 19.50 capable in my humble opinion ... And THAT would set the world buzzing ... And frankly, I would like to see one or two sprinters step up to the plate and make the 200 the event it should have been for the past few years ... Kenteris won othe races, but they were weakened fields and THAT bothers me ... Not KEnteris' fault, but it still bothers me ...

But bakc to Gatlin, he is one of those individuals that just seems to like to compete ... The one question I have is what he plans to do with the hurdles ???

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From last year's statements, I assumed Gatlin was more of a team player, so I am a bit taken back by him turning pro. Maybe losing the NCAA's, team-wise, and the ADS drug situation, left a bad taste in his mouth, so he felt it was time to move on. Also, with the sprints being in transition like everyone has discussed, someone convinced him that this would be the perfect time to make his move. After all, the next 2 years has the WC's and the Oly's. I looked at the article and some other articles to see who his agent is and who he expects to be coached by, and didn't see anything.

Another point I've wanted to bring up, especially with the unique situation with Webb and Raczko, is the personal stipend being extended to coaches. I don't know if this has been going on, or is a new phenomena, but how much impact do you think this will have?? Do you get the impression that Webb and Raczko are tied together for the next 6 years?? If Webb wanted to leave after a couple of years of going nowhere, I am assuming Raczko would still be getting his 25,000. 25,000 may not seem like an exorbitant sum, but for a teacher and coach, it could represent anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 of their yearly pay. Enough to bias counselling an athlete about where their "best interests" would lie.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, $25k is more than the average national salary (last I saw, which was a few years ago)! That's plenty of incentive for most people.

I don't know the answer to the questions Paul raised, but I'm also quite curious about them...

Question: Gatlin can indeed fill a large void in the 200, but will that be enticing enough for the IAAF to actually push it into regular contention on the circuit?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I have found out that he signed with Nike ... Don't have the specifics but I am sure it is a nice sum ... Still trying to find out about the other stuff ...

that being the case - that he is with Nike - I think they have enough influence to see that he has plenty of races to run !!!

Conway
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought ... Could testing be a reason for reduced participation for the past couple of competitions ???

I know people are tired of the topic but the question has ot be raised ...

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A non championship year always allows for a "loading up" period. By the way, I saw my first EPO cancer ad on TV. I'm going to see my doctor Monday. Surprised Confused Wink
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPO cancer?

Conway, I've wondered the same thing, but I'm not aware of any testing changes other then the nandrolene concerns and talk of implementing the full EPO blood test.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPO is a legitimate cancer treatment drug. Can you see the athlete's submission form: "I'm taking steroids and EPO for my cancer and albuterol and ephedrine for my asthma and allergies. This has no bearing on the fact I'm running 3:20 for 1500m".
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were saying EPO can cause cancer...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any specific testing changes ... But when someone like Boulami gets caught it has to raise an element of fear in those that are users ... Remember '88 when Ben got caught ... There were a couple of others who were caught with varying things in their systems - I remember Christie was one and there were one or two others ... There were then fewer people competing in the after Olympics meets .... Ostensibly due to fatigue and the gearing up for the Games ... Which I have said more than once here that the Major met of the year should be the final event scheduled for the year !!! But that is another subject ...

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember Christie was one

I believe that was the ehpidrine found in his system in the infamous '88 Olympic race, but was let off with only a warning or something.

It's quite possible that Boulami's case has sent shockwaves throughout the sport...

And yes, I completely agree that the final meet of every year should be the championship meet.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I know where he's going ... Carolina ... To work with ..... Trevor Graham and company ... So he will be training with Tim Montgomery !!!! Go figure Sad ... Not the place for a 200 sprinter if you ask me !!!!!

Conway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: