FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Ritzenheim injured

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Ritzenheim injured Reply with quote

It was just reported that CU's Ritzenheim has a stress fracture and will miss XC this fall. Sad

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a complete bummer!! Sad
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stinks. Crying or Very sad It's unfortunate that things like that happen, but so long as athletes (in almost any sport) test and push their limits injuries will happen. But I must say that this is a real blow since, with Webb leaving Michigan, Ritz is now the premier name in NCAA distance running. Also as a CU fan this really hurts their chances of repeating. Looks like it could be Stanford's year. Neutral
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford is just so deep ... They keep bringin em out in waves ... I think they ewere going ot be tough to beat anyway ...

At the same time I feel for Ritz ... although he hasn't gottenthe publicity that Webb has, I looked at thim in the same light - as bringing legitimacy back to US distance running ... The kid has been a class act and is very talented ... I hope this doesn't sideline him long ...

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CU has finally been able to close the recruiting gap between themselves and Stanford. They've had some really good freshman classes on the girls side for a couple of years now, but this years men's recruiting class was something. They brought in two sub 9 minute 3200 runners (one of them is a kid named Schoolmester who has supposedly been running real fast in workouts this year). And I think they brought in a couple of other good runners as well. Now that Running With The Buffaloes has been out long enough for it to have a very large number of high school kids reading it, the recruiting for Wettmore is going to get easier. And of coarse winning a national title doesn't hurt. I guess a very popular book about your program and a national title is about what it takes to make up for the tradition, reputation and top notch education that Stanford has going for them.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross Country is not just Fall training for Ritz. He really likes the sport. This is the main reason I feel so bad for him.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost say it's his primary sport.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's his primary sport, but it is definatly important to him, as it is to everyone that runs for CU. I just hate that he will miss running with the Torres twins during their senior year. Jorge, I think is a really good influence on him. He's someone that is on his level and takes the pressure of being the man off of Ritz while he is developing as a runner.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/cu_cross_country/article/0,1713,BDC_2450_1364848,00.html

This is the Sandrock story.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning the following post is pure gossip Exclamation

We'll it's been 7 weeks since Ritz went down with that stress fracture. Which normally take 8 weeks to heal. There is still a month until regionals. According the talk on less... grown up, message boards, Dathan has been working out in the pool relgiously 2hrs a day and either has already or will shortly start jogging. The talk on those same message boards is that he'll come out and run regionals and nationals for two reasons, a) it's the last year the Torres twins will be around and everyone at CU wants to see them go out on a top notch team and b) the plan has always been for Dathan to red shirt outdoor track and cross country in 2004 so he could go to the Olympics. Personally I think he'll run. Wettmore isn't one to stray from a plan and with the kids Olympic future in the balance I say he sticks with that plan. Of coarse this is just hear say, believe at you own risk.

But I'd love to hear if anyone else has an opinion (other than to say DG stop spreading gossip Wink )
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... You've got to figure his talent level will bring him back as at least a top-20 runner at nats after the layoff, which I think is good enough to make them the favorites, so that'll be tough for anyone within the program to resist the temptation...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: