Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Team Guru

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Team Guru Reply with quote

Paul here you go.

I'll try to use this thread to give team updates from week to week. Right now things are rather slow. Training is going well, I have things better planned out this year, do mainly to the fact that I actually know the runners this year. I had only met about 2 of my runners before the first practice last year.
The team has showed up in pretty good shape. My women's team is pretty deep and most of the runners did a good job training over the summer. My mens team is a little on the thin side, we've got three returners that are pretty good, one transfer from a D1 school that will be either first or second on the team, and three descent freshmen. All in all we are a lot better than we were this time last year. But I won't really know how good we are until we and the other teams in the region start competeing. With this region you can be a good team and still not finish in the top ten.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, this will be fun to follow. Thumbs Up

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What team is this, and are you one of the coaches?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7882#7882

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent name, Cool audacious Thumbs Up , yet totally anonymous Cool . This will be fun to follow. Sounds like the women's team is set to roll. Did you meet with the D1 transfer before he enrolled? No problems there, I assume. Such as "this is how we did it last year" kind of stuff. Not that any of us would think you would put up with that for a minute!!! Wink

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get to meet with meet with my transfer student before he enrolled. He's a really good kid. He went to the local high school and decided to come home for three reasons A) This school is more affordable B) The excellent team unity and attitude we have with this team -unity on a team with me involved with it, can you believe that- C) He didn't feel they were working him hard enough at his previous school. No worries about that here.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ... So are there T-shirts, Caps or other paraphanlia associated with Team Guru ?!?!? And aside from the threead will there be online newsletters - interviews with this weeks top athlete ... You know ... Stuff like that ...

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our team page. Sorry we're just a little D2 school so it sin't to fancy but all in all it stacks up alright with team sites for other schools our size. Team Guru

And here is a little article on the team. There was a better one in our local paper but it seems to have vanished from the web without a trace.

As for team gear we don't have anything available at this time. Unless of coarse you want to visit the on campus book store. I may get a bunch of team tee-shirts and sell them to benefit the team.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess we can scratch the anonymous stuff!! Complete bio and picture, the whole nine yards. Looks like you got the Run-Down thread up and running just in time. Alumni run this Saturday!! Good luck!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We're still working on getting the site totally up to speed but it's coming along nicely. We always do a recap after every race which usually comes out monday or tuesday.

At the moment I'm stressing. My best returner on the men's side banged his knee against a coffee table two days ago and it's really bugging him. He went in for X-Rays today and we should find out the results either tommorow or the next day. This kid really worked hard over the off season to improve himself, running 70-80 miles a week all summer. If his injury is anything more than a bruise I will really be disappointed. Crying or Very sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would suck. I've always found there's a super fine line separating day to day activities and freak accidents when you're in peak shape. Just the slightest amount of extra fatigue or sensitive bones and muscles can turn ugly. Sad Here's hoping for good news!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that he'll be fine, but he may miss Saturday, if he was going to run. A little problem under the kneecap can prevent that tendon from tracking properly for a day or two and it may be sore, but it could go away just as quickly, also.
DG, this is simply going to be a heck of a stressful 3 months for you, anyway you look at it. You are only in your second year, you have 2 teams that have a lot of potential, and everyone's expecting huge results. Doesn't bring to mind anything in the recent past, does it?? I guess we can call it Running With the Guru's.
By the way, it wouldn't surprise me if the thread you started here becomes one of the most popular on Dan's site. I've already made the UNK Cross Country link my home page!! Surprised Very Happy

Paul
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Georgia Loper chimes in.

The daughter and I have had a long discussion about her lack of progress. She has decided not to compete this year. She needs to relax and let running become fun again.

So, now I can devote ALL my energy to being a diehard fan of TEAM GURU Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big development in the Ward household. Gently prodding her in the Webb direction? Smile

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the support everyone. We moved our home meet a week later. The change was sparked by the fact that another school had inicated that they wanted to come up for the race. Unfortunatly they had to cancel. But I liked the later date enough to keep it. It allows me to keep the athletes in the pre-competitive mode for another week.

Hey MW, try not to let your daughter to drop out of competitive running all together. Encourage her to go to raod races, open meets, ect. A lot of time getting to compete away from the pressure of the college team enviornment can make an athlete realise how much they really do enjoy it. I lost two athletes over the off season and the biggest contributing factor was that I let them talk me into allowing them to redshirt both indoor and outdoor track. That amount of time without a competition to look forward to really caused them to loose touch with the competitive side of the sport. Which after all is why these athletes run in the first palce. Of coarse with you daughter that may not be the case, she could have her own reasons. I just hate to see any athlete walk away from college athletics, it was and is the most enjoyable thing that I've ever been a part of. Of coarse it is the most frustrating, hardest, rewarding, punishing, ........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: