Distance Den
54.5 hours to go ... getting anxious!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning, I might be looking very Duck-like for the run. I figure it's about time I bust out my Footlocker Midwest green singlet, so obviously I have to pair them up with the green shorts. And of course the neon yellow/green Air Talaria's...

Surprised

Dan
RangerG
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are ya going to work a Canadian Maple Leaf onto the back of that ensable? Laughing

See, now if you had the "Run-Down" shirts finished ya could have been quite the fashion statement Wink

Now about the running socks... I just got some nice black ones with an orange band at the top, with "Biohazard" and the Biological Symbol Twisted Evil Sort of appropriate after a run Sad

Ranger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I could use some black and orange socks...

Maybe we can get a properly attired Team Run-Down at next year's run? The Alumni Run actually started out as sort of a team competition, with the idea being to put together class teams. The first year, my '92 team and the '91 team managed to complete 5+ person squads, but it gets harder and harder with each passing year... I've been the only one from my class probably 6 or 7 of the 10 years since then.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely run with a Run-Down ensamble, I don't expect Dan to pick up the expense. I'm a Red Lizard running club member, but if you think I will participate with that logo... Embarassed ...give me Run-Down anytime!! Thumbs Up
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a warning, I might be looking very Duck-like for the run. I figure it's about time I bust out my Footlocker Midwest green singlet, so obviously I have to pair them up with the green shorts. And of course the neon yellow/green Air Talaria's...

Footlocker!! That is just too cool!! I guess I'll just have to look for the shaved head. Thumbs Up
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but if you think I will participate with that logo...

Definitely a love it or hate it logo. Neutral I always think of roadkill when I see it...

Quote:
Footlocker!! That is just too cool!!

I've also got a blue Footlocker South singlet that might fit you. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worn a singlet before, even in my lifting days. But if the singlet fit over my sleeveless Hind tee-shirt, I would definitely wear it proud.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a bit on the snug side for that. They're both larges, and I fill them out pretty good. Large isn't all that large when it's designed for skinny little high schoolers...

Dana
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're down to 54.5 hours once again...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you following this thread, the temperature will be a minimum 20 degrees hotter this year. This is only my 4th ever race. I'm curious how I'm going to approach this. Will I try for 3 negative splits, i.e. 8 min 1st mile, 7:30 2nd mile, and try for a 7+ min 3rd mile.

Eventually in my running career, I will have to go out in any 5K or 10K race in a sub 7:30 pace to come up with any kind of decent time. And right now it is tough to handle that, psychologically.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the course measurement is anything like last year, you'll be guaranteed of negative splitting after the first mile. Wink I believe it was mile 1 that was long...

4th race ever, huh? You should still have beginner's luck on your side!

I just saw an extended forecast for Portland that has Wednesday at 79 degrees and partially cloudy. If that's the case, I might have to wear sweats. Brr. Cool

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race this year. Good turnout, too. Dan did quite well with a 21 min 5K. I managed 22:25, so assuming the course was halfway accurate, I was ecstatic. Temp was in the mid to upper 70's and most of the course was in the shade. The course itself wasn't that difficult, but with some tight turns and quite of bit of very soft bark, it didn't lend itself to high speeds, though that was more of a hinderance to Dan and the other leaders than it was for me and the pace I was running at. I averaged 7:23 per mile. Thumbs Up

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that was more of a hinderance to Dan and the other leaders

Uh, I was at the tail end of the lead pack of about 20... It was a very good race, though. I was shooting for 21 minutes, and I ran 21:05 by my watch. Last year I started out conservatively and had no one to chase most of the race. This time around I didn't have a clear plan of attack, but I got caught up in the early pace and decided to go with it and maintain contact as long as I could. I was hurting pretty good midway through (mostly stomach distress), but only 2 people passed me the whole way and I passed 4 or 5, so all in all I maintained pretty well. I did get beat by one girl this year, but she was damn tough (and a sophomore to boot). Her older brother was the best runner on the team last year and her dad is quite a good runner himself, so it makes some sense. There was another girl with her that passed me at the mid point when I was struggling for a stretch. I managed to pass her again at the top of the last hill and pull away a bit around the ~400m loop to the finish. On the last straight, I could hear someone charging hard behind me and saw a shadow from behind, but I couldn't tell the distance. As the shadow started getting closer about 30m out from the finish, I started veering gently to that side to make it tougher to pass. I was moving pretty well at that point, so I knew whoever was coming on had a lot of momentum. I never looked back to see who it was, but I was told later it was the girl I had passed at the top of the hill. She apparently didn't want to relinquish the spot...

Temperature seemed good, but I found it to be uncomfortably dusty. Probably in part due to the fresh barkdust and the major school construction.

I got lots of compliments and intrigued questions about my Footlocker singlet...

Paul ran one heck of a race! Mr. "I don't know if I can average under 8 minutes..." Rolling Eyes

The guy who was second was a 14:15 5k guy in college. The winner was the older brother of the girl who beat me, but I'm told the other guy let him win.

Next year, sub-20...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a lot of encouragement from Dan, plus invaluable training tips, many which are located right here in this forum and on the Training and Running Tips sections to the left.

I had no idea where I was at; all I've really run, as far as races this year, has been a tough 15K in March and a very tough 12K in May. You can run a lot of 800's and 1200's but what does it mean to string those together for a 5K?? My next big test will be in 2 1/2 weeks when I tackle a 10K for Oktoberfest. We shall see if trying to combine speed and endurance will be my downfall.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was even worse off than Paul in terms of knowing the pace. I knew what I wanted to run, but I haven't actually trained at that pace in years, and I've hardly even run with a watch the past 5 years. Neutral Amazing that I ended up within a couple seconds of that pace...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: