Distance Den
54.5 hours to go ... getting anxious!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can imagine that bark is really soft. Tryon was in better shape last March than it is now. We've had a weird weather year. We haven't had this much Oct rain in quite a number of years. Everything is getting sloppy. I have been staying on the bike paths, for the most part. And I have been taking a pass on the XC races so far.

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area needs the rain pretty badly, so I'll hold off on complaining... I just hope it isn't another winter like 96/97!

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you mean 95-96. We had that huge wind storm Dec 95 followed by that deluge week in Feb 96 when parts of Tryon fell into the creek and some of the bike path and running paths were blocked out. Some of those trees are still down and the Nature Center paths were re-routed.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant 96 and 97, the latter supposedly being the 100 year flooding storm (the first was only the 50 year doozy), although the first seemed the more intense from everything I saw. Or was it 95-96 and 96-97? That actually sounds right, now that I think about it...

I remember getting a call from my mom up in BC and she says they're talking about Corvallis on CNN. I look outside and the city is practically under water over night... That's when I got the viral infection, running through sewage overflow in Avery park. Neutral One of the engineers I worked with joked endlessly for 2 weeks (it honestly did not stop pouring that entire time) about the arc he was building at his dock up on the hill. Fun stuff.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Dec of 95, I was just coming into the power crew at the phone company. We had that wind storm, and so much power outage in the area, I put in a 90 hr week. We were hauling around small portable engines up to 50KW to keep our remote terminals powered up. It was like getting 5 years of training in one week. Then we had that snow and ice in late Jan, early Feb of 1996. The rain hit like you were describing, and the temperature really warmed up. I didn't really get an appreciation of what happens in the Willamette Valley until you posted those topography links last Jan during the snow storm. There sure isn't a lot of space between the Cascades and the Coast Range.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 hours, yikes. Surprised

Quote:
Then we had that snow and ice in late Jan, early Feb of 1996.

I got snowed in at my parents' place during that... I went home for my birthday (2/3) and the big snow storm hit during that weekend. Being on a steep hill, I couldn't get down until it melted, which coincided perfectly with when the heavy rain hit and all the snow melted in the mountains, seriously compounding the problem.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: