Training Talk
Measuring Wheels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm familiar with it, but it sounds very nice. You could do some nice mile intervals down and back when you're ready. Smile

I can't believe you're waxing you're measuring wheel... I really, really hope you're joking!! Surprised

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm joking!!
And I can't take it into Tryon, either, because it might scratch the paint job!! Rolling Eyes Surprised Wink

I'll bring it with me next time I'm down. We'll mark off some of those extreme 150m hill sprints with orange day-glo paint. I got some hard hats so no one will give us a second thought!! Twisted Evil Thumbs Up

Paul
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: measuring wheel Reply with quote

For DG--Here is a an interesting coincidence...I left our wheel in the mountains last Thursday (yes, the same wheel that measured hundreds of thousands of meters of your intervals)...had to order a new one and found the cheapest price at the same Frost proof site--saved at least $35. Remember: Wheel + cones = pain.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, my short term (end of the year) goal is to provide you with a new Tryon Creek map in meters!!

One of the problems is that one of the streets this path crosses has those kind of Z barriers so people won't blindly walk into the street. The street is not busy, just residential, but those gates would cut down your speed. Fortunately, they are located about 150m from the end of the trail, so you would still have a good mile to run, unhampered. Running from Allen to the beginning is slightly uphill most of the way, so those would be a tough repeats!!

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That map would be worth its weight in gold! Smile

Those barriers can make for nice nimbleness training, not to mention excellent incentive for paying attention while you run...

coachd, are you someone any of us might be familiar with?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachd, thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't sure how good a deal it was, I just stumbled into it, but it seemed better than anything I had observed up to this point.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for all those of you that are interested, coachd is my old college coach and I still remeber that equation wheel + cones= pain. Cool

And my athletes are learning that one as well. I've had a person join the breakfast club during our last two interval workouts Twisted Evil But we don't have a big sign like the one at the World College, which I used for cover.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG, he's probably not that old!! And if coachd is DG senior, will we have to refer to you as DG,jr from now on?? Surprised Very Happy Wink Wink

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cool! We've all heard of "player's coaches," but now we have a coach's coach. Smile

I was trying to figure out what the wheel + cones = pain thing meant... I figured it had to do with something like losing a measuring wheel and cones was painful to replace, or marking a course meant lugging cones around with the wheel which is painful for the back, or... But now I see it simply means pain for the athletes because a specific hard workout is being measured out.

"Coach Dan" != "coachd"
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes!! Now we get to the crux of the situation!! DG, what was the cones workout (maybe more than one variety?), and was that one the "Breakfast Club" workouts!!

You know, we're slowly fleshing out your personality, here, DG!! Surprised Wink Thumbs Up

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were tons of workouts that coachd measured out with that wheel and all of them equaled pain. Everything from 400 to 3000 repeats with all manner of rest and pace. The only thing they all had in common is that they were tough as all get out Exclamation

As for coachd being a coaches coach you are more right than you know. I'm the third runner that has gone on to coach at the college level after running for coachd. And one of us, who is now coaching in high school in three years has had his men already win one state cross country championship, finish second once and are in contention for a trophy again this year.
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled out an old workout sheet...checking what we did "back then" to modify a workout later this season--Here is a DG workout using the wheel and cones at 6800 feet elevation: 15 min warm-up, plead with DG to stretch (to no avail), 4x2000/3:00 rest (DG--6:17, 6:13, 6:11, 6:04)...DG was a "Bull"...workouts and races! Not trying to embarrass him, just help you guys flesh out his personality a little bit. One thing I know, DG's runners will never be asked to do anything he couldn't have handled (except stretch extensively!). By the way Dan--I've used your site for the last year and it is excellent...just never checked out the discussions before.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bull, nobody has called me that in a while, and seeing those splits and how far that is from where I am now makes me think that Paul isn't the only one of us that's a shadow of his fomer self. Wink

And I never was really all that big on stretching, of coarse it never really came back to bite me either. As for my athletes the only thing that they are asked to handle that I'm not sure I could is to put up with having me for a coach Exclamation

Just for everyones information, coachd gives the best pre-race speeches on the planet. Lombardi, Wooden, you name it, no one and I mean no one will ever top the "I hate everbody" speech that was given before the regional champs my freshman year. And the great thing was that team was the least talented group of misfits I've ever been a part of. We didn't make nationals but we sure went out there and ran like we thought we could. And had a great time doing it.

And Dan if you ever want to blame anyone for my being here coachd was the person who told me about this site.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a lot to digest... Smile

Pre-competition speeches is probably the area I'm weakest in, so I have a great deal of respect for someone who's good at that. My pre-race pep talk tends to be more along the lines of catching individuals by surprise with something that gets them to laugh and relax, like when I told one of my sprinters this past year, "I just want you to do one thing. Don't worry about the start or drive phase or digging or anything, just keep it simple -- run like you stole something." Too bad he had a fairly average day at the end of a really bad season, otherwise it could have made for a great story down the road...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get people to laugh is something I use in my pre-race speeches especially with the girls. But for the guys there is something about the hell-fire and brimstone pre race speech that just can't be matched. Especially when you've got a room full of under talented kids from a state that's not supposed to have any distance runners and the next day their facing a bunch of dynasties and 27 year old foriegners. To this day I get goose bumps when I think about that crowded hotel room planning for those races, with all the guys saying things that sound like lines from a Pre movie spoof (ie. some one may beat me, but I'll catch him behind the buses afterwards and make him regret it).

Being a coach is great, but there is nothing like being an athlete on a college team full of guys that love to race Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: