Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
weights????

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: weights???? Reply with quote

Will doing weight training stunt your growth?? i always think that it will, some people say yes, some say no?

what's really the answer???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

oh yeah, and I'm 14 years old...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard that before, nor can I think of any reason why it would. Are you sure you aren't thinking of coffee? Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

soooo....Dan, you saying it doesn't?

nope, i ain't thinking of coffee...i heard weights hurts your back , thats why.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would hurting your back have to do with stunting growth? Any activity can hurt your back if done improperly...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notion that weight training will stunt your growth is an old wives tale from 40+ years ago. About the only things outside of disease that can stunt your growth would be severe nutritional deficiencies. What weight training will do for you is increase the strength of your muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and increase the density of your bones, all highly desireable elements in any sport!! One of the big questions in our current time is how early can one start. The answer right now seems to be as early as 11 or 12. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to start a strength program if that is your inclination. The only pitfall would be if you are going through a tremendous growth spurt. Then the big problem would be you would have a greater exposure to injury do to the softness of the bones and connective tissue, and the change in leverage positions at the joints. But that still wouldn't stunt your growth. The solution would be simply to ease up on the amount of weight you are lifting.

Assuming you are a runner, since you are visiting this Forum, a simple circuit training program done 2-3 times a week for 30-45 minutes will be perfect to get you started. I will assume you are in or just starting high school, or maybe you are thinking of joining a gym. There should be people that can get you started. Don't let someone talk you into 4-5 hours a week of weight training. That is not your focus. There are also a lot of good books on the subject if you have access to a decent library.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul you know your stuff. Weights do not stunt your growth. As was alluded to above improper nutrition can cause growth problems. The only way that the two could even be associated is if you had a young person doing something like bodybuilding. In other words having a very strange and stressfull diet that went along with all the weight training. Also most of the best body builders currently (at least the one's I know of) aren't that tall. Which could re-enforce the false notion that wieght lifting causes stunted growth.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most of the best body builders currently (at least the one's I know of) aren't that tall. Which could re-enforce the false notion that wieght lifting causes stunted growth.

I would think that gets us back to one of our typical cause and effect debates. Does the bodybuilding stunt one's growth or does a shorter stature produce more bodybuilders of note? I would lean toward the latter, as it takes much less muscle to look relatively large on a shorter person.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think the same way. Just as people that are naturally thin make the best distance runners. People that have short fairly broad bodies tend to be able to put on more muscle and therefore make better body builders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: