Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
More about Krummenacker

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: More about Krummenacker Reply with quote

I found this article on ESPN's website interesting how the author takes a cheap shot at Webb's high school coach. I wonder if that is any reflection of his personal feelings about Webb's turning pro. After all Scott Raczko only said what the rest of us were thinking. Of coarse, especially as a coach, you have to be very careful what you say about athletes you don't coach. My policy is to just avoid the question, if you do get cornered say things along the lines of "so and so is a very talented athlete, he's smart and races to his strengths, I don't see any real weaknesses" A coach should never give bill board material to a potential rival.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, thanks. Interesting why Raczko was singled out by name. However, assuming the statement is true, it puts a bit of a spin on the Webb article in Micah's thread. Maybe Raczko had a lot more to do with Webb leaving Michigan than we were led to believe. If Raczko is as outspoken as Hollobaugh insinuates, then when Webb was confering with Raczko when he was injured, its not impossible that the conversation went something like "Oh, that's not right, this is the way I would have done it". In Webb's fragile state, statements to that effect would have been enough to send him over the edge.

When I was a young athlete just out of high school, I read a book that had quite an impact on me titled Problem Athletes and How to Handle Them by Thomas Tutko and Bruce Ogilvie. I realized that I was the problem athlete.

Paul
eddieb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one have any idea what sort of training he's doing at the moment or what he did during the winter work.

Cheers
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than the shot at Raczko (we need to give that guy a more pronounceable/spellable name if he's going to be coaching Webb again), what I find interesting is the connection Hollobaugh failed to make between Raczko's lack of speed comment and Krummenacker's improved miling after dropping down in distance to focus more on the speed development. Somehow, out of that, Hollobaugh concludes that Krummenacker should rethink running the shorter distance???

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa nellie, here's something interesting! I'm catching up on Runner'sWorld online dailies from the two weeks I was gone and just ran across an interview with Krummenacker. Turns out he's coached by none other than Luiz de Oliviera, the vastly under-appreciated Brazillian who I was saying is quite possibly the best mid-distance coach ever.

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-0-0-ZNEWS----07-29-2002,00.html

Excerpts:

Quote:
Sometimes I sit back and say, "damn, I wish I had found this coach three or four years earlier."

As the fall was progressing, I was a little bit worried because I was doing less quantity. It's not as voluminous as it used to be, but the quality is a little bit better. I'm actually given a little more rest than I used to in terms of days off. He throws in elements like pool training, so we have days of "active rest." I'm doing a lot more drills like plyometrics. That helps out a lot with muscular strength and overall fitness when it comes to racing. It helps me carry myself over the last 200 meters or so. My muscles are used to being broken down and tired and weary, but it feels these days like I still have a pop.

Luiz told me at the beginning of the season that it was really important to focus on one event -- that it was okay to occasionally run a 1500, but that there really has to be a focus.

I don't really think about times when I go into races. I just go there to try to win. I think that's part of my mentality that's changed from previous years that's probably helped me. I used to go to some of these big races and think, "there are so many good guys here and they've run so much faster than me that I just want to hang in and try and run a good time." Now my mentality is I'm here for winning.

I'll be interested to hear Conway's thoughts, as it appears he pretty much hit the nail on the head in earlier statements about Krummenacker's changes in training this year and the need to attack the competition...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that Conway was right about Krummenacker's approach to his recent races. But we still don't know what kind of training specifics Krummenacker is doing. So until I get a look at what he was doing previously vs what he is doing now I will withhold judgement on his change in training. But whatever he's doing it is obviously working and I hope he keeps it up.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what little I know of de Oliviera, don't hold your breath for detailed training information... Not much seems to be known about him or his system, just that it works incredibly well. He was a big believer in having his athletes run solo in practice so that they wouldn't grow dependent on others for setting the pace. Ring a bell? Wink

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't follow. :question:
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the recent discussion about distance running tactics -- taking control of the race vs. sitting back and waiting to see how it develops. Very few people are willing to risk doing it on their own, but that's what de Oliviera's system seems to be geared toward.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry the training alone thing threw me off a bit. Although it does make some sense. Especially if you are going to use those tactics, which of coarse require a very high level of performance. But if you can do it, then by all means....
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Luiz told me at the beginning of the season that it was really important to focus on one event -- that it was okay to occasionally run a 1500, but that there really has to be a focus.

I don't really think about times when I go into races. I just go there to try to win. I think that's part of my mentality that's changed from previous years that's probably helped me. I used to go to some of these big races and think, "there are so many good guys here and they've run so much faster than me that I just want to hang in and try and run a good time." Now my mentality is I'm here for winning.

I'll be interested to hear Conway's thoughts, as it appears he pretty much hit the nail on the head in earlier statements about Krummenacker's changes in training this year and the need to attack the competition...

Dan[/quote]

Just now saw this thread ... That's how K's races had appeared to me ... Like that was the thought pattern going through his head ... Oliveria has coached soem great athletes ... And the one thing they have all had in common is compettiveness .. They all know how to stay in hte race with an opportunity to win ... And again today - the London Grand Prix - took a close 2nd to Borzakovsky ... At his current rate I would say he has medal potential in the next few years major events ...

Conway
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something from today:

http://www.indystar.com/article.php?amcol25.html
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish I knew more specifics of de Oliveira's training...

See (DG and Hammer), those who know don't tell. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told ya'll they don't tell ... And that speed word keeps poppin up Wink Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Conway
coachd
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not tell...but sometimes their athletes do. I had a conversation with Ocky Clark at a meet in Las Vegas, NV (he was working with Stan Vinson who was an assistant at the time)...DG actually ran in that race--and ran great as I recall...

Anyway--Clark told me about a drill that Oliveria would have his runners do where they held their breathe. They would take a running start and hold their breathe for the first 25 meters (after crossing the start line)...they would repeat this for 30, 35 , 40 and so on up to 100 meters. They would do two or three sets of this drill. Clark said that by the third set, the lactic acid was killer. He said they also did the reverse---holding their breathe during the last 30 or 40 meters of hard intervals. He said Oliveria believed in lots of short intensive intervals.

I know this is far from learning what Oliveria does...but I thought it was interesting. has anybody heard of this type of "breathe holding " training before? Not sure if he still has his athletes do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: