Training Talk
Yasso 800's

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as Paul said when you run the numbers it appears to be as much a race indicator as anything ... I know the Purdy's have been around since at least the 80' and it is possible perhapas sometime ate 70's ... They are a wonderful guage and when melded into this workout a potential predictor ... Or at least so it would seem ...

Conway
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the workout is a great race indicator for marathon, when your training for a marathon. But it is also a pretty good VO2 max workout for any distance.

My college coach used Purdy's point system to predict race performances based on how you ran your workouts during the past week. In my four years of running for him I think he was only off by more than 10 seconds two or three times.

Also there is a second edition of Purdy's Running Trax out now. It's one of the top items on my "Running stuff to buy" list.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, my point in item 2 is that Yasso's 800 time is simply a 10K pace interval workout, based on the 10K conversion from the Purdy tables. I know that sounds rather convoluted.

Taking DG's example, a 2:30 800m is the pace for a 31:15 10K. A 2:35 800m is the pace for a 32:17.5 10K. So the 10 x 800m early season workout becomes half mile intervals roughly at 10K pace. The key, verified by DG's response post, is the rest interval. The workout becomes substantial from the point that the body is not allowed to recover fully between runs, especially toward the last half of the workout, and that this is the first time the body has been exposed to this type of work in the season.

Taking 30 secs off your 800 is quite a chunk to bite off to begin with. Lets take an example and say a person can run a 50 minute 10K, that's 2 minutes per 400 pace. A 3:45 800m would be faster than 5K pace. a 3:30 800m would be so fast that the recovery between runs would have to be substantial. I would imagine a heart rate at 95% plus.

The basic Yasso 800 workout is 10 x 800 with the same time as a rest period. This is why I likened it to a controlled fartlek run on the track, the running interval (covering 800m) time and the rest interval time are the same. Using the above example, that makes it an 80 minute workout, which is a good conditioning workout. Bart Yasso's opinion is that, all things being equal, if you want to run, say, a 3 hour marathon, and you can get your 10 x 800 workout down to 3:00 per 800 with a 3 minute jog between, then you should have a good shot at running 3 hours.

I think this answers most but not all the questions. Because the original question on how to incorporate 800's into a 10K preparation schedule is a question best answered by DG and Dan.

My original Computerized Running Training by Gardner and Purdy is dated 1970. I'm sure I bought it before I went in the military in 1971. I am obviously in need of an updated copy myself!! Smile

Paul
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the 10X800 marathon predicting workout had a 1 min rest interval for a runner who averaged 3:00/800m. I was under the impression that the rest was to equal about 1/3 of the interval time.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer!!!

So I see you survived... As far as I know the rest is 1:1 ratio or at least that's what this particular article said.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, DG: That's the impression I got from the various places I have seen the Yasso 800's written up. Same recovery period, timewise. When you figure a short warmup and warmdown, then the workout becomes quite extensive, timewise.

DG, do you have any further thoughts on my latest post, here??

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your assesment.

It makes me wonder why you don't get more involved in some of the more, spirited, debates that we have around here from time to time. You obviously have done a pretty good amount of reading on the subject. Something I really respect.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is sandbagging! Cool

He pretends to be down on the same intellectual level as me. But he may actually be up there on Conway's level. He is just waiting and bidding his time and when we least expect it he will drop a bombshell that will stun all of us.

Thank goodness he isn't in the Fantasy League this year. He could really embaress us. Very Happy
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate 800s for 10k training personally. Maybe that's why I only alow 1min. recovery between intervals. If you do 10X800m with equal rest you end up running laps on the track for an hour (if you run the intervals in 3:00) Where as if you run 6X1600m w/3min. recovery, you are running for about 54min. and the interval is closer to the race distance and probably have better results.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a reasonable idea. If I did the math right the 1600's would be run in 6 minutes each. What is 10K race pace off of that training?
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a workout almost exactly like that every other week during cross country season for my men's team. The way we do this workout is they run it at around 8k pace. There are two reasons for this, first it is faster than 10k pace although not by a lot. This allows them to maintain the pace throughtout the workout and they end up running faster than 10k pace for almost 10k. And the other reason is more of a coincedence than anything else, most of our regular season races are 8k so I don't have to do much guess work or math to come up with the goal times.

So to answer your question the 10k time for a runner doing this workout at least in my system would be right around 38 minutes
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG: How much does your men's training vary from the women's training??

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of philosophy very little. While the men are doing there 6x1600 every other week the women will be doing 6x1000 meters (getting ready for there 6000 meter race distance). Although sometimes there will be difference based on the team needs. If the ladies apear to be lacking a little strength then we'll run some extra hills. But generally the only real difference is that the mileage for the girls is a little lower than for the men and that the key workouts are geared for 6000 meters as opposed to 10,000 for the men. And really my women's team last year almost out did my men's program in terms of volume outside of interval workouts. Simply because entering the year they were in better condition and probably more talented than my men's squad. The biggest differences are about as likely to occur between two members of each team than between the teams themselves. With the differing talent, fittness and toughness levels of my athletes, if I was to earase the name from the top of the workout it wouldn't be really easy to tell wheather it was a member of my men's or women's team running the workout. Although the guys are still faster.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Purdy Tables appear to have been first printed in 1970, for what it's worth. Doh, I see Paul already pointed that out!

I think your assessment(s) pretty much covered all the bases. Smile It does appear that Yasso's thingie is a tidy little predictor conveniently backed by quantitatively defined numbers in nicely symmetric fashion. There, how's that for a summary?!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: 10x100m for 5k? Reply with quote

Would 10x100m work as well for 5K as 10x800m for circa 40k?

For instance: each 100m in 18s would predict 18 minutes.

Dan wrote:
Ah, now I've been enlightened... Thanks for the article, Paul. Smile

Interesting theory, but I suspect it's not quite as accurate "down the line" as made to sound, as it seems to be geared toward a marathoner seeing what they can run 10x800 in, not a shorter distance runner seeing what they can run a marathon in. For me, it's probably off by a good 30 minutes, simply because I've trained extensively for the 800 and am not enough of an endurance athlete for that performance level to carry over to the marathon.

Also, it seems odd to treat that workout as a near staple of marathon training. It would appear to be more of a time trial indicator of fitness level that should be done every 3-4 weeks or so. No reason to be predicting your finish time each week, otherwise you might as well just go race...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: