Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
what's up with US men in the 800m all of a sudden?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: what's up with US men in the 800m all of a sudden? Reply with quote

First Krummenacker wins back to back Euro circuit races, then this from a t&f list post:

Quote:
Khadevis Robinson ran 1:44.41 today to win the Savo Games in Lapinlahti. It marks the 4th fastest time in the world for 2002 thus far.

Where'd these 1:44's and 1:45's come from? They were barely breaking 1:50 in domestic competition a few weeks ago...

Good to see a few guys stepping up!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are further results:

1. Khadevis Robinson USA 1.44,41
2. Wilson Kirwa Lahden Ahkera 1.46,54
3. Grzegorz Krzosek Puola 1.46,56
4. Willy Rotich Kenia 1.46,64
5. Johan Cronje Etelä-Afrikka 1.47,18
6. Urmet Uusorg Eesti 1.48,03
7. Salah Fadlalh Saudi-Arabia 1.48,57
8. Mathias Björkqvist Kyrkslätt Idrottsförening 1.49,51
9. Mike Miller USA 1.49,65
10. Antti Vasala Lahden Ahkera 1.52,83
Jouni Haatainen Jyväskylän Kenttäurheilijat DNF
Ozzie Mdziniso Swazimaa DNF
Daniel Chemase Kenia dns

That's a large margin of victory!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what's up with US men in the 800m all of a sudden? Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Where'd these 1:44's and 1:45's come from?

Who cares where these times came from the question is can they keep progressing and do well in the Olympics and World meets that are coming up next year and the year after?

Although I must say that I am glad to see Americans finally getting a foot hold in an event longer than 400 meters again Smile
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you are gonna love this !!!

Pos Name Born Nat Result

1 Bernard LAGAT 74 KEN 3.31,38
2 David KRUMMENACKER 75 USA 3.31,93
3 William CHIRCHIR 79 KEN 3.32,50
4 Laban ROTICH 69 KEN 3.33,59
5 Robert RONO 74 KEN 3.33,95
6 Abdelkader HACHLAF 79 MAR 3.34,46
7 Hudson de SOUZA 77 BRA 3.34,72
8 Reyes ESTEVES 76 ESP 3.35,00
9 Ali MAATAOUI 80 MAR 3.35,72
10 Brian BERRYHILL USA 3.36,53
11 Salah EL GHAZI 75 MAR 3.37,15
12 Youcef ABDI 77 AUS 3.38,63
13 David KIPLAK KEN 3.41,88
14 Rachid Mohammed RAMZI 80 BRN 3.44,85
15 Mattias NORLING 77 SWE 3.51,95
Andres DIAZ 69 ESP ab
Robert CHIRCHIR 72 KEN ab
Seneca LASSITER 77 USA ab
William YAMPOY 74 KEN ab

Krummenaker in the 3:31's !!!! See what that speed work will do for you Wink ... All of a sudden he elooks better here than in the 800 ... Maybe he should continue with the 800 and then come back here again in a couple of weeks and see how he does ..
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy is on a roll, I hope he can carry this into the Olympics next year. It would be typical of American distance stars to blaze this year (the least important in every four year cycle) and then flizzle when the major championships roll around.

I'm being jaded, but hey can you blame me? I am enjoying Krummenackers success unlike those fortunate enough to come up in the Pacific NW, kids that do their prep running in New Mexico almost never get to see one of their own running well at national level much less the world level.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! 5th fastest American ever, not bad at all. What was his previous PR? I should have paid attention to that on the start list; they don't show it once results are loaded...

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His previous PR's were 1:44.57 (1999) and 3:36.15 (2000)
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where do you see Krummenaker running in the 800 given he has shown the ability to run under 3:32 in the 1500 ??? And does anyone have a 400 PR for him ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say he has to drop his 800m time three-quarters of a second before much can be made of the two wins. Without Bucher, Borzo, Kipketer, Schumann, Sepeng, et al in the races, the wins would hardly be noteworthy had they not been accompanied by the 3:31 (a sign of true promise).

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to cop out on this one but it is really hard to say how much better a runner like Krummenacker is going to get. First off I have no idea what his training is like now vs what it was when he was just another mediocer American. Also Krummenacker is 28 and has been running professionally for a while, he is still in his prime but no spring chicken. So improvement is possible, but it isn't garunteed. And as much as I would like to beleive otherwise, I have a feeling that we could be seeing Krummenacker at his best right now. I'm afraid that he could be like Steve Holman, someone that at his very best gets with in site of medal contention and no closer. And without the big guns to run against it is really difficult to tell if he's a contender or simply the best of the rest. Crying or Very sad
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to pin my hopes for the US middle distance on someone it would probably be Marc Sylvester who went 1:46 as a freshman running for Tennessee this year. Others to keep an eye on would be Dan Wilson from UConn, Jesse O'Connell from Georgetown. Then of there are the two Stanford runner Sage and Robinson. And of coarse we can't forget the young man with the wieght of American distance running on his shoulders, Alan Webb. Disappointing this year but still the man to beat in the hope department.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the results from Krummenaker's 2 800 wins in the Golden League ....

Meeting Gaz de France Paris-St. Denis - Paris (FRA)Friday, July 05, 2002

Official Result
Men - 800 METRES

Pos Athlete Nat Mark

1 Krummenacker David USA 1:44.83
2 Wachira Nicholas KEN 1:45.49
3 Mutua Joseph KEN 1:45.54
4 Aissat Nicolas FRA 1:45.54
5 Saïd-Guerni Djabir ALG 1:45.60
6 Mulaudzi Mbulaeni RSA 1:45.67
7 Ngeny Noah KEN 1:45.94
8 Sepeng Hezekiél RSA 1:46.48
9 Yiampoy William KEN 1:46.58
10 Lacasse Florent FRA 1:46.67
Chirchir Robert KEN DNF
===========================

Golden Gala - Roma (ITA)Friday, July 12, 2002

Official Result
Men - 800 METRES

Pos Athlete Nat Mark

1 Krummenacker David USA 1:45.24
2 Sepeng Hezekiél RSA 1:45.43
3 Kimutai Japheth KEN 1:45.53
4 Mulaudzi Mbulaeni RSA 1:45.56
5 Saïd-Guerni Djabir ALG 1:45.86
6 Som Bram NED 1:45.94
7 McCarthy Kris AUS 1:46.06
8 Neunhauserer Christian ITA 1:46.07
9 Reina Antonio Manuel ESP 1:46.35
10 Korir Paul KEN 1:47.23
11 Kimutai Sylas KEN 1:47.60
Kiptoo David KEN DNF
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted those to show that while he has yet to race Bucher or Borzo, he has beaten some outstanding middle distance runners such as Said-Guerni, Yiampoy, Kimutai, and Sepeng (twice) ...

His wins have not been flukes ... And while he hasn't run the outstanding times yet, impressive is the tactical way he has been able to run ... I'm guessing he finishes up the season at 1:43.xx which puts him contention ... Again the key here being the ability to race well ...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the comparisions to Holman there are none in my opinion ... While HOlman had a lot more natural talent ... And a great coach at Georgetown ... He NEVER learned how to race .. And that was his downfall !!! And the age of 28 is meaingless any more ... HE could easily run til 38 in which case this could be the beginning of his peaking ... Same for Teter ... What we have seen in the last decade or more is that many athletes given the opportunity are NOT through anywhere near the age of 28 !!!! That is pre professsional thinking ...

As far as the youngsters you mentioned ... Following all of our talk about Kenyans and Americans and everything else, I am thinking that what has helped Krummenaker and Teter is that they stayed with it long enough to "catch up" on background development ... Given that thought, the youngsters maybe be a decade away (including Webb) from reaching their true potential ...

For example you mentioned 'Silvester ... Remember James Robinson ??? Ran 1:45 as a soph I believe at Cal ... Took him about 10 years to get out of that range ... And when he did he ran 1:43.9 !!! As I look back on things I see a pattern starting to emerge ... And that is that the advatage that soem athletes have in the middle distances and up is their abilitiy to develop a certain base level sooner than others ... Krummenaker (and Teter) are just getting there and it is starting to show ....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew he beat Sepeng in one of those races, but didn't realize he did so in both. Kimutai is also a very good runner, but I think both of them fit into the Boldon or Fredericks category of people that make races have good depth, but rarely challenge for the win even when it's there for the taking.

By the way, Webb is apparently about to sign a deal with Nike for $250k a year through 2008. Looks like we'll get to see him stick with the sport and develop long-term...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: