Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
runners stomach problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicki
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: runners stomach problems Reply with quote

I am writing about my daughter she is 15 and when she runs,during a race or practice she gets loose stools and has to "GO" right then!She goes before a race or run.This is very hard on her she thinks one day she might not make it.What do we do? Confused[/list][/code]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet change, perhaps? It could also be a case of nerves, but that's a bit less likely.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better this is pretty common. Here are a couple of tips. She should try to get into a pattern, eating pretty much the same things at the same times during the day, running at the same time every day. If you can get a set schedule your body will get used to eating running and "going" at a certain time every day. Also she should take some tissue paper with her on her runs. Everyone that has run for any length of time has found themselves on a run where they had to hide in the bushes. It's a little embarassing but trust me it's happened to all of us. As for races, usually it's just nerves, some of my athletes run to the potty 4 or 5 times before a race and still have to go while they're standing on the starting line, once the race starts 99% of the time it goes away. Just try to get your buisness done before the race the best you can and whatever happens after that can't really be controlled.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
she should take some tissue paper with her on her runs.

Also known as mountain money. Smile

Quote:
some of my athletes run to the potty 4 or 5 times before a race and still have to go while they're standing on the starting line, once the race starts 99% of the time it goes away.

With regards to racing, that's a very interesting phenemon. I'm one of those people that has to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes before a race, has to go at the start, then doesn't feel any such urges for 3+ hours afterward... Most people I've talked to are the same way.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: