Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Ooops I wan't drafted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Ooops I wan't drafted Reply with quote

I noticed that there were two high school kids and several college under classmen that weren't drafted. What happens to them now. Can the high school kids still play at a college and can the under classmen return. I know that they can't if they signed with an agent, but did they have to have an agent if they were in the draft on draft day. And why would you risk going into the draft as a high school or college underclassmen if there was a possibility that you wouldn't get drafted?

I'm sure some of these players will end up in Europe playing ball over there, and some will in the NBADL.

Still that has to sting having your family there, watching all those names being called and never hearing your own. Crying or Very sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would suck.

The way I understand it, they can return to school so long as they didn't sign with an agent (or accept gifts). The reason for signging with an agent would of course be to increase your odds of getting drafted. Kind of a catch-22. Smile

I think a lot of promises get made about who will be drafted at what position. Then you've suddenly got foreigners being drafted like crazy in the 2nd round for un-guaranteed future contracts, so proven domestic prospects are slipping out the back door that would have been picked up a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure any of us "real" people can quite relate to the environment these superstar young athletes are in, with all the hanger-ons and people pushing you in different directions, promising the moon, etc. Most of them probably thing they're going in the lottery!

Dan

edit: proven != unproven

Last edited by Dan on Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. I especially feel bad for the two high school kids that didn't get drafted. If they do go to a college team now, they'll probably get teased like crazy. Or at least I know I'd sure give them the business if I was on there team.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, something else I noticed about this year's draft is that it's all about potential now. Do I need to repeat John Thompson's quote... Wink

In just this one draft, I've seen players frequently compared to Paul Pierce, Shawn Kemp, Peja Stoyakovich, Tracy McGrady, Scottie Pippen, Dan Majrle, and Antonio McDyess. If even half those predictions came true, this would be one of the best drafts ever... I was just reading about a recent draft that may go down in history as not producing a single all-star. Can't remember the year, but it was around '99.

With all the international and high school players not being scouted the same as a 4-year college guy of a few years ago, it seems picks are being made more and more on the basis of who someone is reminiscent of.

Why does no one ever say, "this kid reminds me of Mel Turpin, he'll really anchor down that bench"? Smile Not everyone can be in the mold of a star...

Another thought that popped into my head is how exactly did the 80's showtime Lakers amass the draft picks to put that team together? They traded for Kareem, and I thought they had a solid team in place when they somehow got Magic in the draft, won the championship that year and remained at or near the top throughout the decade, but managed to draft hot commodities such as James Worthy and AC Green. Did they trade up for those picks, or did the NBA give them a top 5 pick each year for glamor points? I know they traded for Byron Scott, but even so, they traded a star for him...

Boston, on the other hand, pulled off easily the most one-sided trade in NBA history to assemble their "best ever" frontline: Kevin McHale and Robert Parish for Joe Barry Carroll ("the next Ralph Sampson")!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasa watching ESPN's The Sports Reporters this morning. It turnd out that those two high school kids that didn't get drafted lost there college elligability! That makes what we thought was just a embarassment a real blow to their future. I'm sure that these kids will still be able to play pro ball, either in Europe or in the NBADL, but it still seems like a tragedy to me. In baseball a player can be drafted (more than once I think ) and still not loose his college elligabilit. What is the NCAA or the NBA or whoever thinking, why can't a young athlete enter the draft and if he isn't drafted or isn't drafted high still go to college with no loss of elligability?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not foolish enough to pretend to know what the NBA, and NCAA especially, is thinking, but I suspect it has to do with basketball and football being major money sports at the collegiate level (baseball more so at the pro level), and the likelihood of any player going through the draft process being "tainted" by the lure of big bucks and all the freebies that accompany.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how these two young men not getting drafted will affect other high school kids thinking about coming out for the draft in the future. I know that if I were recruiting an athlete that was a borderline NBA draft kid I would use DeAngelo Collins and Lenny Cooke as examples to subtly try and convince a kid to come to my school and play for a year or two before entering the draft.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon further review.... I was just doing a little research on the two kids that didn't get drafted. Collins was a trouble maker as an underclassman in high school and actually was found guilty of felony assult. Cooke, has had major grade problems and didn't even play basketball as a senior. He just couldn't hack it academiclly in college, which is why he was in the draft. It would seem at least in Collins case that who you are away from the sport actually matters in the NBA, to bad for Collins he wasn't entering the NFL draft, where such things appearently don't matter.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long felt the best strategy for a college basketball coach is to go after the 2nd tier talent. The blue chips are so much harder to land and you'll be lucky to keep them for more than a year or two, anyway. Makes more sense to get someone not quite as good who may turn out to be a better team player and will probably be better after 3 or 4 years than the blue chipper would be after 2.

The major exception to that is an area a bit tougher to quantify... The blue chipper may have a major impact in the NBA, which can have a very positive impact on the alma mater's future recruiting.

And yes, the NBA does look into personal character quite a bit. Doesn't mean they get it right or act on their gut feelings, but at least they take it into account.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: