Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Coaches Corner
Olympic Coaching Staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Olympic Coaching Staff Reply with quote

The USATF website lists the coaches for the 2004 Olympic team. One of them really caught my attention. Julia Emmons is listed as the womens distance coach.

Emmons is the president of the Atlanta Track Club and the Race Director of the Peachtree Road Race and has been very involved in the administration side of running. But to my knowledge has no coaching background. So why was she selected for this position?

This is nothing personal against Emmons. I have met her and she is a very nice person. But is this the best pick for our Olympic preparations?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you have it, the Peachtree really is one of the premier international events! Smile

My former head coach was on the World Championship coaching staff last year, and from all accounts, those positions are almost entirely administrative. Pretty much every athlete there has a coach accompanying them or at least in close contact, so not only do they not need coaching, but they probably don't want the interference and meddling.

A major task is simply getting athletes places on time, be it races or scheduled workouts. Someone who can organize and stay in the background is a valuable asset.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that be the case then I withdraw my doubts. Emmons is obviously a world class organizer and administrator. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Coaches Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: