Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
what's Dan do with his time?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:16 am    Post subject: what's Dan do with his time? Reply with quote

I'm sure some of you wonder from time to time what I do to keep busy in between posting in the forum ... it's not like anything has been added to the site in ages, right??? Well, let me tell you a little story...

Maybe a month or two ago, I got an email from some super angry fella who was submitting a link to the running directory and was pissed that the other events listed in the state he was submitting to were old (not out of date links, just not new events, whatever that was supposed to mean). Here is the enlightening discussion:

Quote:
him: As the race director for a Florida event I've just submitted a race to your "East" > "Florida" calendar. Is it your intention to let this section die from neglect? The page reflects very badly on you and your site since the races listed are from the years 1999 and 2000. You, or Able Design, should maintain the page, imho.

me: First of all, thank you for submitting to your event (to the links directory, not to the calendar, by the way). However, I have to ask... You've got to be kidding??? You submitted your event 8 minutes before sending this message and are implying neglect on my part? Have you ever tried maintaining 10,000 running links that change on a daily basis, for zero pay no less? I will take a look at your event, but please try looking at the big picture before insinuating a lack of interest or time spent.

him: I was obviously not referring to my own entry. And I did submit two entries, one of which was, or so it appeared, to the Florida event calendar and yes, there are no other entries since the year 2000 and I do believe that you're in the wrong business. I'm sure you want to be seen from your best side and that page is indeed neglected. You can't handle a legitimate concern sent to a posted email address and I will refrain from making suggestions in the future.

What's my point in sharing that? Nothing really. Just one example of the bizarre expectations that float around the 'net and land on my front porch from time to time... This individual obviously had no concept of that which he spoke. I keep busy enough keeping the listing current, let alone scouring the 'net for new sites to add. I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in the early days of Run-Down building up the directory (I'm gaining more and more respect for Google every day). If people want to submit their own event, that's how new things get added...

Just a week or two ago, I discovered that RRCA (road runners club of america) had changed their entire site setup to a new structure. As a result, I had to update about 120 links to their club and event pages (by state) to reflect the new URLs. I just noticed today that Cool Running had done the same with their event calendars, making another 65 or so links to update. Mr. Personality above probably doesn't even have that many links on his entire site to worry about... I've got a backlog of about 800-900 dead links (mostly schools and clubs, which are a real pain in the a$$ to keep updated) to wade through, with more being reported all the time.

Now you understand what I do ... and this is just (one of) my hobby! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Dan I think I speak for everyone on this board, when say thanks for maintaining such a high quaility website. I haven't come across a more user friendly, or comprehensive running website. You've got links to every running club, high school and college team I've ever heard of and hundreds more that I haven't. Not to mention a pretty darn good set of message boards. And obviously a lot more. I hope your hobby here can turn into something that pays your bills, and that all the time I and the other regulars spend on the sight can help to support your little hobbie. Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DG. Means a lot coming from someone who hasn't always agreed with me. Smile

The site actually did pay a good chunk of the bills back in the hey day of online advertising (I probably wouldn't have quit my job and gone solo with web design if not for the advertising income I had at the time), but that dried up a year and a half ago and probably doesn't even cover the monthly hosting expense anymore...

Still, I have no intention of ever letting Run-Down slip into obscurity, regardless of time requirements or income. The increase in forum participation definitely helps keep things going, especially when I get the occasional note like from the person above.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAN, I can't be spending my time on Open Mic Night !! Mad Dog is outposting me 20-1 !!.

Seriously, though, DG speaks for me, too. Plus you've got an elegant layout here. Many places are just too busy-looking.
As far as the Discussion Forum I just stopped looking elsewhere. The information and the civility of the posts are refreshing. Must be Micah's Southern Manners influence!! Very Happy Very Happy
I invision that some of us might even run into one another at track meets some time in the future.
Now if you could just get us a quantity discount on that Lactate Pro ($900), then everything would be rosy. But if DG found out my lactate threshold occurred at 8:30 min miles, he'd probably gather up all my posts and send me packing!! Embarassed Embarassed

Keep up the good work, but enjoy yourself this summer, too.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul.

Quote:
you've got an elegant layout here. Many places are just too busy-looking.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression...

I actually did meet one of the forum posters at a home meet this spring. Surprised the heck out of him. Smile

Member discounts? That could be an interesting way to boost the community bond and help fund the site, if it could be pulled off. The key, of course, would be bringing together enough desirable sponsors and having something valuable enough to offer them in return (visibility, guaranteed sales at some discount, etc.). A number of people happily offered prizes for the old Run-Down contests (no guaranteed sales in return) -- but that got to be such a nightmare to administer prize delivery that it dropped by the wayside -- so that has a wee bit of potential.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnb470 wrote:
. But if DG found out my lactate threshold occurred at 8:30 min miles, he'd probably gather up all my posts and send me packing!! Embarassed Embarassed
Paul

No worries Paul, you don't have to run fast to speak intelligently. As a matter of fact there are times when I think being a good runner hurts a persons ability to give good advice.
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DG to you do a great job maintaining and running this site and its the best running site i have came across. thanks and welldone Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, and thank you. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the major problem with your site Dan. You have so much stuff and the forums are so interesting that I can't find the time to go anywhere else. Wink

In all seriousness I have not found another site with the quality of this one. And as I have stated before, the civility and maturity of the forums keep me coming back. Although I haven't met anyone in person from the forum I would gladly buy the first round of mint juleps for any of us who might get together one of these days. How about that Paul? Very Happy In fact I will even go so far as to say that if I ever meet you Dan, dinner is on me! Very Happy

You do a great job with this site and the fantasy league was a stroke of genius. The next logical step would be for as many of us as possible to pick a year and all show up to compete in the National Master's Track & Field Meet. Any takers?

Keep up the good work Dan and forget that neanderthal from Florida. They got no manners down there anyway. Laughing
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I like the idea of everyone getting together for a track meet although I've still got a year or two before I'm a master. Mint juleps, must be a GA thing, but if any of you are ever passing through corn country, I got the first beer.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt to get a wild thought and hatch a plan. What year would you be eligble for the Masters meet DG? If it is 2-3 years down the road that gives us plenty of time to train and save traveling money.

Maybe even have tee shirts for "TEAM RUN-DOWN" ? Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what a mint julip is, but thanks for the offer of southern hospitality. Smile

Quote:
Maybe even have tee shirts for "TEAM RUN-DOWN" ?

I've actually toyed with that idea... I had a CafePress.com store set up to experiment with t-shirt Team Run-Down designs (ice packs on runners and what not), but it's been so long that I can't tell if I still have that account and artwork...

Masters competition begans at age 35, right? I'm still 7 years away...

Quote:
Here is the major problem with your site Dan. You have so much stuff and the forums are so interesting that I can't find the time to go anywhere else.

Uhh, I'll see what I can do about that... Smile

Dan
- damned if you do, damned if you don't
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think masters running starts a 40 in which case I have a little over 15 years. If it's 35 then I'll be there in a little over a decade. In the mean time I'm hoping to get my training together and run a fast time in the 10k or marathon.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the women that start at 35? I thought one was moved up 5 years ago to encourage more participation.

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Kip Javrin is 36 and competed in the regular Decathalon so unless you can choose to compete out of your age division the men can't be 35.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: