Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Nutrition for first time marathon runner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books I've been glancing through say I should be eating a lot of carbs and avoid over doing fats and proteins. These books were written a few years ago, before the world moved over to a low carb., high protein diet for everyday health. Should this not be followed if training for a marathon?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 1999 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I'm still a believer in the more traditional diet (high carbs). The super-hyped zone diet appears to be little more than an excuse to eat the way you want. Ice cream and pizza is ok (fat and protein) but fruits and vegetables are not (carbs). Give me a break! Look at third world countries that live off beans, grains, and vegetables. They've got our culture beat when it comes to body fat, and I guarantee you they're not concerned with 30% of their diet coming from fat.

Furthermore, the way the research behind the 30/40/40 zone diet was explained to me is a bit suspect. Assuming I have the details correct, it states that 25% of the N.A. population can eat however they want, implying than 75% cannot. The study concluded that 80% of our population is overweight. Gee, 80% is overweight, 75% must be careful with their diet... Could it possibly be that the study merely found the obvious -- by studying out-of-shape people that have grown up on processed foods, you will find that they have dietary problems!!! 80% and 75% seem far too similar to be coincidental.

Also, my understanding is that the Zone Diet research, while it claims to help athletes, was based largely on swimmers. Swimmers require much more body fat than distance runners, so this is another reason I am skeptical. A recent study cited in Runner's World Online indicated that although the Zone Diet might help some people lose weight, there is no evidence to show it will help endurance events such as marathoning. They recommend sticking to the high-carb approach, as do I.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: