Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Ultra Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: The (Nearly) Dead Poets Society Reply with quote

So, what are we, poets or runners? Poetical Runners, I guess. I like that. Mad Dog Mike www.fakefruit.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah and Mad Dog Mike: Give this some consideration. I think that Gerry Lindgren was born way ahead of his time, that if he was 20 years younger he would be the premier Ultra runner around. Reading about some of his training at Washington State is unbelieveable.
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of disagreement as to whether Lindgren really ran the 300+ mile weeks he's famous for, but no one questions that he put in some mega mileage. Of course, he's also severely under-appreciated due to the relative lack of an enduring career beyond high school and maybe early college.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindgren has become a bit of a Bobby Fisher type character in the distance running community. With his crazy training habbits (if memory serves Jack Daniels had him putting in 235 miles a week) and reclusive personality. My college coach used to tell stories about how he droped off the radar screen and then every once in a while at a road race somewhere in the pacific northwest there would be a runner who nobody knew run an insanely fast time for his age division and everyone would say that it was Gerry Lindgren running under a fake name.

Of coarse I have no way to varify this and coach might have been just telling a story to get us motivated before 10 miles of increasing pace over hilly terrain at altitude too.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Ah Sware it's tru Reply with quote

You mean to tell me there are actually people out there who will pull your leg? Confused I, of course, would never do such a thing. Very Happy Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Bobby Fischer analogy. Most of my info came from "Run With the Champions" by Marc Bloom. It is a recent book but I don't know how accurate it is, although he talked to most of these people. Apparently after dropping out of society, he has resurfaced in Hawaii.
Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob DeVries, my college coach, like most coaches I know will say or do just about anything if they think it will result in a better performance out of their athlete.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob DeVries, my college coach, like most coaches I know will say or do just about anything if they think it will result in a better performance out of their athlete.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Keep them motivated Reply with quote

I guess I pretty much agree with that philosophy: keep the athletes pumped up and enthusiastic!

I truly believe that it's 90% mental and 10% physical. I'm not poo-pooing the physical (far from it), but while you're putting in the miles, your thoughts must be positive, and while you're resting or doing other things, mental images still must be geared toward success....never the possibility of failure. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd go 90% mental - 10% physical. But the mental aspect is very important. If I was putting a number on it I'd say 70% physical 30% mental. Because no matter how positive you are if your only in shape to run 25 minutes for a 5k then 25 minutes is what you'll run.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As cliched as it sounds, I would lean toward 100% physical and 10% mental. The point being that you can't have one without the other (for success) and there's really no way to say one is less than the whole...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: I've re-thought the percetages Reply with quote

I've re-thought the percentages. I guess I really believe it's 100% mental and 100% physical!!!! Full bore all the way, and take no prisoners. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphase Yogi Berra. "Half of this sport is 50% mental, so if you come to a fork in the road take it because the race ain't over 'til it's over."

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta love a good Yogi-ism. Even if they can make your head hurt. Laughing
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Ya Takes Ur Cherce Reply with quote

Winning or losing aint an option. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: