Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Ultra Update

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Ultra Update Reply with quote

For those of you that remember my ranking of ultrarunners and a few other posts you will know that I have sung the praises of Frank Bozanich, a former US record holder and sub 6 hour 50 miler. Well, this past weekend the 58 year old Bozanich won another one. Yes, he was the overall winner of the Shadow of the Giants ultramarathon in California. He covered the 33 mile course in 4:27:51. Now that is only an 8:11 pace but remember that this is a trail race at altitude. And there were plenty of very good runners 20 years younger in the race too.

Congratulations to the Old Man. Very Happy
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we both would be happy with 8:11 avg for our 5K. Actually, I'd be thrilled!! Very Happy Very Happy

Paul
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would be ready for a hospital ward ... 58 years old .. I guess there is hope for us all ... I am duly impressed ..... Very Happy
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across another interesting fact about this race. It starts at 3,000 feet elevation and peaks out at 6,000. So alot of climbing.

Another thing about Bozanich and several other top ultrarunners. These guys are not skinny like the top marathoners. They tend to have a little more muscle, kind of like we were talking about Webb's build on another thread. I read somewhere that the extra muscalature helped with dealing with the pounding of the long distances involved. Don't know if there is any science to back this up but it is an interesting concept.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That theory makes sense to me. There's a lot of jarring going on over 50-100 miles of trail running. The heavier set build probably also provides a bit more energy for the body to burn as the race progresses.

A related explanation could tie into the old physics example that rockets go faster as they burn more and more fuel because they weigh significantly less as they burn it off. Taking that to an extreme, I have a theory that you get the best gas mileage in your car when the tank is empty. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded again of the Steens Rim Race even though it is a 10K. It starts over 7800 ft and finishes over 9700 ft. The Course Record for men and women is 43:07 and 54:02 (or was 2 yrs ago). As Mike Logan puts it: "Sound slow? Come and run it, baby!!"

Paul
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Heavy Ultra-Runners Reply with quote

Ultra-runners certainly tend to be heavier muscled than marathoners, but they aren't *heavy* per se - after all, you don't want to have to carry a slab of bacon for 50 or 100 miles.

Do you guys really mean you can't run 8:11 for 5K at 58 years of age. Tell me it ain so. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you guys really mean you can't run 8:11 for 5K at 58 years of age. Tell me it ain so.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but let's not be careful to not be judgemental about what level people are at. I see nothing from that quote that would tell me it's tongue in cheek, but I'm guessing it is...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: We oldsters have to stick together Reply with quote

Razz When I was doing call-in radio and tv shows back in the late '70s and early 80s, promoting my books, I used to get calls from folks asking me if I didn't think they weren't too old to begin a running or jogging program.

I would ask, "and how old are you sir (or madam)?" "Thirty or thirty-five" was usually the answer.

Can you imagine someone in their thirties thinking they were old? It was a real eye opener.

I think of us (we "old fogies," "masters," or whatever) as a group of cronies, able to give and take an affectionate dig in the ribs without taking offence.

We've stuck it out and haven't given in to vegetating in front of the tv, or bragging that "you think you operation was serious - wait until you hear about mine."

My present training buddy, Joe, was sixty this year. He's in training for his first marathon, September 22nd.

He's been fighting to run a mile at under ten minutes. His best, up until a week ago was three miles in 31 minutes (10:20). Last week we did a one mile time trial for him. His splits were 2:31, 2:31, 2:34 and 1:56.

He not only beat 10 minutes, he destroyed it. Now the mark is to hold a sub 10 minute pace for a mile and a half.

By the way, this will not only be Joes first marathon, but his first race of any kind. You have to give the guy credit - and he's training at an almost 7,000 foot altitude.

From this, I hope it is clear that my comments were in jest, with affection, and with a sense of comradery. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just keep in mind someone stumbling across this thread might have no idea you were joking and think you were insulting anyone not capable of running a mile under 8 minutes.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take no offense. At this point in my training I know what my limitations are and I will be happy with a 9 pace this weekend. And while I know that my PR times will never be reached again, I am only 46 and I fully intend to go sub 20:00 for the 5K again...one of these days...maybe next year!
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: I all evens out Reply with quote

You are only the second Micah I've ever met. My best running buddy, Ralphie, has a grandchild named Micah.

It's interesting how we seem to have our own running or racing niche. Never in my wildest dreams could I ever run a 20 minute 5K, though I got very close about 25 years ago. I can, however, run under nine minutes all day.

That's why I went on to the ultras - so I could get away from you speed demons. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah "The Speed Demon" Ward. I do believe you just got a nick name Cool
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I guess everyone is fast compared to somebody. Laughing
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Everyone is fast compared to somebody"
-- Micah Ward

Yeah, I can see that making the rounds of inspirational running quotes someday. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: