Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
The Field House
Top ranked US long jumpers & shot putters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Top ranked US long jumpers & shot putters Reply with quote

Putting a good spin on a bad situation (near complete lack of long jump and shot put competitive opportunities in 2002), from a USATF press release:

Quote:
American men’s long jumpers and shot putters have swept the first three spots in their respective events to headline a strong American presence in the current 2002 International Association of Athletics Federations rankings.

U.S. long jumpers Savante’ Stringfellow, Miguel Pate, and Dwight Phillips are ranked 1-2-3, respectively, in the world on the IAAF rankings that are posted on the IAAF Web site, www.iaaf.org. U.S. shot putters Adam Nelson, John Godina and Kevin Toth also are in a 1-3 sweep.

I suppose we're to be highly impressed by the dominance over no one???

Dan

(edited to make the quote easier to read)

Last edited by Dan on Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now i guess that depends on your definition of a champion !! Wink

Seriously though, I do think that our long jumpers and shot putters ARE among the best if not the best in the world right now ... The sad thing is the lack of venues to display their talents ... Which of course dovetails into a discussion being held else where in the forums ... Embarassed

I will say that our long jumpers have come a very long way ... Just a few years ago they were being ridiculed for their huge drop off in performance ... Since then we have developed 3 guys at or within breathing distance of the 28 foot barrier ... Not too shabby ...

And I have been saying all year long that the shot putters were being shortshrifted as they were the best athletes in the world this year at their event ... They drew crowd wherever they performed ... Just had so few opportunities ... I would have loved to have seen a 74 or 75 footer !!!

Conway
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> The Field House All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: