Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Back of knee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Back of knee Reply with quote

I have just begun training seriously for a marathon and after my first long run , noticed a soreness or tightness in the back of my knee. It doesn't hurt but it keeps me from fully extending my leg when I run. Any thoughts or advice?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a strained or overly fatigued hamstring tendon(s). If the soreness doesn't subside with some rest, stretching, and ice, then it might be tendonitis. Although, it's unlikely tendonitis would kick in so early in a training regime, so it's probably just a matter of your body getting accustomed to a new workload.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Sore Knee Back Reply with quote

For now you might try direct massage and ice. I've also had great luck with DMSO.

For the future, it would probably help to perform gentle hamstring stretches first thing in the morning, again before your run, and yet again after your run.

Finally, training for a marathon is a gradual process - try to hurry it up, and you *will* get in trouble.

As a general rule I suggest a full year of training to get in shape for *serious* training. Then a full year of running 10Ks and half-marathons, culminating in your first full marathon. Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding DMSO, that's a pretty powerful drug that isn't overly recommended for human use (more for horses, from what I understand). Make sure to consult with a trustworthy doctor if you're going to consider it.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: