Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Gallipoli, damnit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Gallipoli, damnit! Reply with quote

I just read through the guest articles section and was dissappointed that running-movies articles didn't include my personal favorite running movie, Gallipoli. While in school at OSU I had a couple of friends from down under, a kiwi and an aussie. They taught my son the responses to the coach's pre-race quiz:

"What are your legs?"
"Steel springs!"
"What are they gonna do?"
"Hurl me down the track!"
"How fast are you?"
"As fast as a Leopard!"

It's incredibly cheesy, but you can get away with cheesy stuff if you sound like you mean it (and maybe if you have an accent too); I love it all the more for that reason. A young, likable Mel Gibson plays one of the sprinters also.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been so long since I've seen Gallipoli that I don't remember much of it, but I had completely blanked on it containing any running scenes. Maybe that's because I was bored out of my mind watching it...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue the boredom aspect, with regards to the film itself. However, the experience was made more interesting because I rented it with my aforementioned mates and we watched it on ANZAC Day and--probably the key factor in boredom alleviation--we drank beers throughout. By the end they were shouting things like, "Long live the Queen. Bloody old wh***!" and "Death to the UK!" I think I might have seen tear also. We all went for a run when it was over. We raced each other about 100yds to Walts and got another half-rack of Henry's. How's that for a running story, eh?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see where I went wrong! The key to enjoying that movie is to do anything but actually watch the movie? Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Mel Gibson made that movie right after Mad Max so its twenty years old. Many people consider Gallipoli to be one of the great anti-war films of its day.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct (about the chronology; I still say the movie was miserably dull). Here's Mel's timeline:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Gibson,+Mel

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: