Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Timed Periods vs Specific Distances

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Problem with Chariots of Fire Reply with quote

Dan, the problem I had with the music from Chariots of Fire, was the various sections varied so much in tempo: I found myself running too fast, too slow and back again under the control of the tape.

Apart from its deficits as a running aid, I actually enjoy that music, but didn't much care for the movie itself. I also agree with you that 2001 was (and is) a bore. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
The big story at the time was Alberto's Prozac usage and an assortment of theories about what role that may have played on his training and impressive, but brief, comeback.

Dan

I think Mike Tyson recently proved that those kinds of drug don't do much for the fighting spirit of an athlete. (If you had one this is where I'd insert a smily with two black eyes)
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Fartlek Timers Reply with quote

Going back over the posts, I came across the references to timers and treadmills.

All the watches I've had, over the years, would only chime at equal intervals (are there any that will signal at varied intervals?).

The old treadmill I used (that finally rusted away from copious applications of sweat), could be programed to change both speed and angle of incline in unequal segments.

This was great fun, but, if memory serves, you could only program a maximum of ten different settings - but you could do them over and over. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The treadmills I have used were the same way, although I don't know if ten was the limit. I found it easier to just pay attention to the clock and change the incline and speed on the run as opposed to spending 15 minutes programming the treadmill before I started.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: ...and Dan said I was antsy Reply with quote

Actually, DG, I agree with you completely. My treadmill at home had ten or twelve slide switches, so it was only a matter of seconds to program the fartlek workout.

None-the-less, I found it far more diverting to change the speed and incline by hand, and "on the run" (as it were), just as you did.

When I used the treadmills at the The Texas Medical Center, I was continually changing speed and incline - burned out two or three motors that way...but I got a heck of a workout. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: